Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting it road worthy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
montoya 73 2.0
Instead of towing it maybe I should drive it. The car was driven for no more than 1000 miles on it's last full tune up, It was then parked for about 4 years. Any suggestions on what i should do to get it road trip worthy besides changing the gas, oil and checking the brake fluid? besides checking the tires?
mudfoot76
Carbs or FI on the engine? From what I've read about the FI on here, you may have to replace all the vacuum hoses or it won't run right (if at all). I couldn't tell you much more about resurrecting the engine...

Check to make sure the brake calipers have not seized.

Check to make sure gas hasn't gelled in the fuel lines, causing them to be clogged.

New fluids all the way around are surely in order, but check all of that other stuff in the process too.
montoya 73 2.0
it has a single carb.
TROJANMAN
make sure you check the fuel tank too.
montoya 73 2.0
check the fuel tank for rust? how do i do that?
mudfoot76
Take the filler cap off, and get a bright flashlight wink.gif

Some people have one of those skinny lighted scope viewer thingys (very technical term!) that is useful for up close examination. It would surely help.

As for the carb, make sure nothing has taken residence inside the top of it and that all the linkage moves freely. As soon as you get it home, rip off that single carb and either put FI back on it, or switch to dual carbs (twice the fun of a single carb) smash.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (montoya 73 2.0 @ May 3 2005, 04:02 PM)
check the fuel tank for rust? how do i do that?

pull the tank and dump it into a bucket... if there's rust, you'll find it...

also put some b-12 cleaner in the tank when you fill it back up...

when you go to drive it back, be sure and have speare cables(clutch, accel), test it in a short trip first to make sure everything is in order...

I *personally* would flush the brakes fluid and put new fluid in and bleed well... test the brakes well, they have a tendancy to seize up quickly...
montoya 73 2.0
Okay! will do the fuel tank and brakes. cool! what kind of dual carbs are best for a 2.0? givemebeer.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (montoya 73 2.0 @ May 3 2005, 04:21 PM)
Okay! will do the fuel tank and brakes. cool! what kind of dual carbs are best for a 2.0? givemebeer.gif

weber 40s are fine for a 2.0, you may want to up the jet sizes though... I did for my 2056, anyway...

if it's a STOCK 2.0 though, you MAY want to try and find an FI from someone who converted to carbs... up to you, though...
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 3 2005, 01:25 PM)

weber 40s are fine for a 2.0, you may want to up the jet sizes though... I did for my 2056, anyway...

if it's a STOCK 2.0 though, you MAY want to try and find an FI from someone who converted to carbs... up to you, though...

not familiar with FI. how difficult are they?
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (montoya 73 2.0 @ May 3 2005, 04:37 PM)

others can chime in here... but they can be learned... dual carbs aren't as easy as it sounds... it requires proper balancing and jetting, not a snap...

i do not know FI
JoeSharp
Your going to be on a tough learning curve. Just get it home first. If it were me I'd stand on the brakes a few times just to make sure they don't go to the floor where its at. Change the fule and any fule lines I could see that showed singes that they are dryed out, change them all or be on fire alert. Once you jet it running and take it around the block as soon as you can try to lock up the brakes, if you can't brake a hose or seal by standing on the peadel just go home.
I'm a carb guy, I have been working on a D-Jet car for about 18 months. Complet rebuild of the motor and D-Jet system. It is a 2065, 9.5:1 CR, balenced, ported and camed. I'm in the final stages of tuning it and am quite happy. But I'm not in a hurry, and its my hobby car, not something I need to drive. So you can't compare that to a stock D-Jet in a driver. But you still need tools and knowlege.
It's up to you. only you can desideand thats what this is all about.
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Check my blog.
biggrin.gif Joe
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ May 3 2005, 03:27 PM)
Your going to be on a tough learning curve. Just get it home first. If it were me I'd stand on the brakes a few times just to make sure they don't go to the floor where its at. Change the fule and any fule lines I could see that showed singes that they are dryed out, change them all or be on fire alert. Once you jet it running and take it around the block as soon as you can try to lock up the brakes, if you can't brake a hose or seal by standing on the peadel just go home.
I'm a carb guy, I have been working on a D-Jet car for about 18 months. Complet rebuild of the motor and D-Jet system. It is a 2065, 9.5:1 CR, balenced, ported and camed. I'm in the final stages of tuning it and am quite happy. But I'm not in a hurry, and its my hobby car, not something I need to drive. So you can't compare that to a stock D-Jet in a driver. But you still need tools and knowlege.
It's up to you. only you can desideand thats what this is all about.
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Check my blog.
biggrin.gif Joe

COOL. I guess I should get it here first then worry about the carb thing later. Alright, first things first.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 3 2005, 02:49 PM)
QUOTE (montoya 73 2.0 @ May 3 2005, 04:37 PM)

others can chime in here... but they can be learned... dual carbs aren't as easy as it sounds... it requires proper balancing and jetting, not a snap...

i do not know FI

I had Dual Dellorto's on my 1776cc bug motor, I loved them but they had to be sync'd all the time. thanks everybody for your input, see you tomorrow!
john grier
Hey there;

If it was me, I would prefer the stock fi.
I have had both carbs and fi, but I like the fi best.
Just my opinion but the fi seems to run smoother.
anthony
QUOTE (montoya 73 2.0 @ May 3 2005, 02:21 PM)
what kind of dual carbs are best for a 2.0? givemebeer.gif

Have you priced a set of carbs lately? The 44mm Webers are NLA, 40mm Webers are $1K now, and prices on used carbs have shot up proportionally.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE (john grier @ May 3 2005, 03:58 PM)
Hey there;

If it was me, I would prefer the stock fi.
I have had both carbs and fi, but I like the fi best.
Just my opinion but the fi seems to run smoother.

if i went with FI, does anyone know what new or used ones are going for? should i even think about used?
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE (anthony @ May 3 2005, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (montoya 73 2.0 @ May 3 2005, 02:21 PM)
what kind of dual carbs are best for a 2.0? givemebeer.gif

Have you priced a set of carbs lately? The 44mm Webers are NLA, 40mm Webers are $1K now, and prices on used carbs have shot up proportionally.

have not priced lately (about 10 years). so is it usually dual carbs or FI for the 914?
mudfoot76
I have dual Weber 44s care of the previous owner. Getting them balaced is tough, and in the end I had to pay someone to do it b/c I could never get it right. My car's PO also put in a more aggressive camshaft which if you read more about switching to carbs, goes along way toward driving enjoyment. From what I've gathered here, unless you switch out the cam, swapping to carbs is a bad idea. I really enjoy driving my car (2.0L)

It does smell like gas when it has been parked for awhile. It is 'grumpy' when I try to start it when the ambient air temp is under 50F (no chokes on the 44 IDFs). It is louder than an FI car, but I also have a Bursch exhaust (another PO install). I've never driven another 914 to have any baseline for comparison. My car feels fast, and since I don't daily drive it, the "extra" noise just adds to my pleasure biggrin.gif

If you go w/carbs, be sure to get one of the "good" throttle linkages. Get a book on carbs. Tuning and jetting to me is Black Magic but I want to learn more...
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (mudfoot76 @ May 5 2005, 03:17 PM)
Tuning and jetting to me is Black Magic but I want to learn more...

http://www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource...les/jetting.htm

will tell you a lot... in the end, I called Jake, and said "hey, I have a 2056 with a mild cam, what jets? " I also talked with John(aircooled.net) for a good bit about it and learned more about my specific request than the jetting article... he 100% agreed with Jake, though he liked flexibility, and suggested I get a 1 size smaller idle jet, in case it ran too rich on idle for my particular engine, so I got some 55s and some 60s, in case the 60s were too rich(they weren't) smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.