Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Rod Screw Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
Are both tapered screws that retain the shift rod (one near the firewall and one near the transmission) supposed to be the same screw? When I did my shift rod bushing job yesterday, I noticed the screw near the firewall looks like what is pictured below, but the one near the transmission has a hex head that takes a socket. I want to buy new screws but I only see ones like below, so am assuming they are supposed to match? Input appreciated. - Ansbacher in Tampa Bay

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
That is the correct screw. They are said to be a one time use screw. I just use blue locktite. I've never had one come loose..
Ansbacher
Cabinetmaker: By correct do you mean for BOTH ends of the rod?

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 25 2017, 12:21 PM) *

That is the correct screw. They are said to be a one time use screw. I just use blue locktite. I've never had one come loose..

Krieger
They should be the same. Sounds like somebody might have stripped the threads and came up with a home brewed fix. They drilled and tapped a bigger hole and fit a bolt they tapered. Take a picture. The rear piece is easy and inexpensive to swap out.
rhodyguy
Just replace the rear coupler if the threads have been oversized. JWest, member vendor, sells a tapered screw that incorporates a jam nut. No Loctite needed for reuse. Unless you've changed it out recently plan on a new ball cup bushing for the coupler.
IronHillRestorations
I've got one of those square head taper screws, but I only use it for my shift rod jig.

The one in the pic is the right one, and it should have a little dowel of nylon inserted in the threads to hold it in place. Alternately you can do as Curt said and a small dab of blue locktite is just as good.
MartyYeoman
agree.gif Use these with safety wires. No worries.
Ansbacher
Thanx all for the goldmine of information. I know what to do and need now.

Ansbacher
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.