Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Steam Cleaning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LukeD
I read a tech article on PP about cleaning the engine bay. The article was more taylored towards the 911. What is the best way to approach cleaning the engine compartment. I have a cold water pressure washer at home, do I need to do it at one of the "Do it your self" places with hot water? I know to cover the obvious such as the Distributor, FI fuse box but what else? What is the best type of cleaner to use for the grime on top and undernieth?

Just trying to avoid a non-running car and headbang.gif

Ok to use Mother polish on 5 lug Fuchs'?

Thanks

Luke D
Mueller
steam cleaning would entail going to a professional

the local public car wash place or even a home unit pressure washer hooked up to hot water is still only a pressure washer...it'll still work, but not as well as a professional steam cleaner would.........

you might be better off spraying the top of the engine with brake cleaner, let it drip down to the bottom of the engine and then pressure/steam clean the bottom of the car........
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (LukeD @ May 3 2005, 06:30 PM)

if they have been polished, sure.
if they're in original anodised finish, just clean them with something like P21S.
you can't polish the anodised surface, and if you get it down to the bare, polished alloy surface, you will be polishing them forever. killer look, but very maintenance intensive...
Kargeek
Gunk Foamy Engine Bright- great stuff! Spray it on a warm engine top and bottom and it sticks. You can, hook up your cold water pressure to your hot water heater and use low pressure on top and crank it up for the underside. Blow dry with compressed air or your electric leaf blower! DH
RAR
QUOTE (LukeD @ May 3 2005, 03:30 PM)

Thanks

Luke D

NO! Absolutely not! There is an anodized coating on them that protects them. You will polish it off over time. If however, the coating has already been removed to make a polished Fuchs, that's different. Vaseline works well on anodized Fuchs. Clean with P21S, or mild soap and water.
echocanyons
Luke,
Your wheels have refinished polsihed lips

You can use mothers aluminum polish on them
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.