Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 71 Garage find, all help will be appreciated.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
sawdust
I'm considering selling this car. (I'm more of a small block chevy mechanic) I'd like to know what you, my friends, think it might be worth. It's been in a garage since 1993, drove it in thinking she might have transmission problems, after feeling the stick shift I expect it needs bushings, it's a bit sloppy. The speedometer went out at about 47k and the new one reads 11.796 so it has around 58k on it. It has a dent in the passenger door and parking lot dings. It was repainted at some point. Otherwise it is unmolested. The headlight motors are fixed open, but rebuilding the motors shouldn't be a big deal. Click to view attachment
forrestkhaag
Color is great and a 71 is a good starting point. welcome.png
boxstr
To follow the classified rules you need to add a price, the car needs to be for sale, not for bid,honestly this is not an auction site. You might try bring a trailer or Ebay.
And if you do want to sell the car, you will want to list it on the cars for sale forum.
Good luck, Craig at CAMP
forrestkhaag
And by the way, this is the wrong forum if you are sensitive to "don't insult Me" ... WTF.gif

You are here now and the snow is melting. Ebay is frozen.

Get ready.. This is a generally rough and well informed crowd. A great bunch of folks that know 914 stuff.

Put it out there. I am interested in your car as I have a proven motor on a pallet and out of the way for the 6......

beerchug.gif

forrestkhaag
Yeah you're right Boxter beerchug.gif
sawdust
It even comes with a ski rack.
forrestkhaag
I dont see no ski rack.... /// WTF.gif
forrestkhaag
and the open lights / yes. two relays unplugged..
sawdust
QUOTE(sawdust @ Feb 28 2017, 07:46 PM) *

I'm considering putting this car on the auction block.(I'm more of a small block chevy mechanic) I'd like to know what you, my friends, think it might be worth. It's been in a garage since 1993, drove it in thinking she might have transmission problems, after feeling the stick shift I expect it needs bushings, it's a bit sloppy. The speedometer went out at about 47k and the new one reads 11.796 so it has around 58k on it. It has a dent in the passenger door and parking lot dings. It was repainted at some point. Otherwise it is unmolested. The headlight motors are fixed open, but rebuilding the motors shouldn't be a big deal.
Click to view attachment

forrestkhaag
so what is your price for this car? even if the headlights don't "work"....

beerchug.gif

sawdust
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Feb 28 2017, 08:09 PM) *

and the open lights / yes. two relays unplugged..

Thanks, I know very little about these cars.
sawdust
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Feb 28 2017, 08:10 PM) *

beerchug.gif

I'm thinking close to 9k
sawdust
QUOTE(sawdust @ Feb 28 2017, 08:09 PM) *

I'm considering putting this car on the auction block.(I'm more of a small block chevy mechanic) I'd like to know what you, my friends, think it might be worth. It's been in a garage since 1993, drove it in thinking she might have transmission problems, after feeling the stick shift I expect it needs bushings, it's a bit sloppy. The speedometer went out at about 47k and the new one reads 11.796 so it has around 58k on it. It has a dent in the passenger door and parking lot dings. It was repainted at some point. Otherwise it is unmolested. The headlight motors are fixed open, but rebuilding the motors shouldn't be a big deal. The passenger seat has a tear but the rest of the interior is excellent.
Click to view attachment

TheCabinetmaker
I think you are about to be insulted
sawdust

I'm considering putting this car on the auction block.(I'm more of a small block chevy mechanic) I'd like to know what you, my friends, think it might be worth. It's been in a garage since 1993, drove it in thinking she might have transmission problems, after feeling the stick shift I expect it needs bushings, it's a bit sloppy. The speedometer went out at about 47k and the new one reads 11.796 so it has around 58k on it. It has a dent in the passenger door and parking lot dings. It was repainted at some point. Otherwise it is unmolested. The headlight motors are fixed open, but rebuilding the motors shouldn't be a big deal. Signal orange. Click to view attachment

boxstr
Take this to the cars for sale,and out of the parts for sale section.
Thank you,
Craig at CAMP
mepstein
QUOTE(sawdust @ Feb 28 2017, 09:12 PM) *

beerchug.gif

I'm thinking close to 9k

Maybe half of that, probably less. Not running, unknown trans issue, unknown rust issues, ect.
Optimusglen
I don't want to insult. But if thats a 914-4 you've been greatly mislead on it's value.

For perspective, I pulled my '71 out of a garage where it had been sitting since 1996. Similar condition to yours, assuming some of the underlying sheetmetal is solid. I got it for a little over 1000. 2000 would have been overpaying realistically.

If that's a 6, then I have no idea and 9k might even be right on.
Coondog
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 28 2017, 07:14 PM) *

QUOTE(sawdust @ Feb 28 2017, 09:12 PM) *

beerchug.gif

I'm thinking close to 9k

Probably half of that. Not running, unknown trans issue, unknown rust issues, ect.

If you get offered 2,000 take it.
GregAmy
This place is funny. A guy posts a potentially solid and honest car for sale asking for advice, we tell him it's worth $2,000 and get snippy about it.

Someone posts an obviously-flawed claimed "concourse" car for sale for some silly stupid price, and when someone tells him it's not worth it this place gets all snippy about it.

To the original poster: not enough information to make reasonable offers or suggestions. If the car is rust-free - and I see you're pretty much due east of the middle of West Texas, so there's some chance of that - you might come close to your proposed asking price. Then again, you might not.

You may be better off asking for referrals to a known 914 shop, who can then do a full inspection and report on it.
Montreal914
Pull the car out, takes as many pictures as you can of the various vulnerable areas of the car (do a search on this forum to find out where they are, hint; under the battery), look through adds on this forum, CL, eBay, etc, and set up a fair price (seems you already have, but the market will dictate).

As mentioned previously, create a new thread in the "cars for sale" forum and give as much details as you can with your official asking price. The higher the price, the tougher the crowd. And even though nobody is supposed to comment on ads, they will rolleyes.gif

A good sale requires some research and effort to better understand your product and the market. Asking is an option but it is best to tackle this on your own.

Oh! BTW, welcome.png

...and GLWTS (good luck with the sale biggrin.gif )
euro911
Observations.

I see rust in the lower right front fender, aft of the wheel, as well as on the cowl.

Also, it has a later headlight surround on the passenger side ... possibly a front end accident repair has been done in the past? confused24.gif
sawdust
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 28 2017, 10:00 PM) *

This place is funny. A guy posts a potentially solid and honest car for sale asking for advice, we tell him it's worth $2,000 and get snippy about it.

Someone posts an obviously-flawed claimed "concourse" car for sale for some silly stupid price, and when someone tells him it's not worth it this place gets all snippy about it.

To the original poster: not enough information to make reasonable offers or suggestions. If the car is rust-free - and I see you're pretty much due east of the middle of West Texas, so there's some chance of that - you might come close to your proposed asking price. Then again, you might not.

You may be better off asking for referrals to a known 914 shop, who can then do a full inspection and report on it.

Thank you sir, I appreciate the reply.
sawdust
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Feb 28 2017, 11:15 PM) *

Pull the car out, takes as many pictures as you can of the various vulnerable areas of the car (do a search on this forum to find out where they are, hint; under the battery), look through adds on this forum, CL, eBay, etc, and set up a fair price (seems you already have, but the market will dictate).

As mentioned previously, create a new thread in the "cars for sale" forum and give as much details as you can with your official asking price. The higher the price, the tougher the crowd. And even though nobody is supposed to comment on ads, they will rolleyes.gif

A good sale requires some research and effort to better understand your product and the market. Asking is an option but it is best to tackle this on your own.

Oh! BTW, welcome.png

...and GLWTS (good luck with the sale biggrin.gif )

Thank you sir for the information.
sawdust
QUOTE(boxstr @ Feb 28 2017, 07:53 PM) *

To follow the classified rules you need to add a price, the car needs to be for sale, not for bid,honestly this is not an auction site. You might try bring a trailer or Ebay.
And if you do want to sell the car, you will want to list it on the cars for sale forum.
Good luck, Craig at CAMP

Thanks for the reply.
gereed75
A similar 1970 car has been offered up for sale recently. A very original car with original paint, very good interior, no structural rust, a rebuilt but original injected engine and rebuilt trans and rebuilt brakes. A car that had some investment potential IMHO.

It did not bring the $13500 asking price. Might be a good benchmark for your car.
iwanta914-6

Good luck, Craig at CAMP

But the "damage" is already done. He has the word out there and you know he's getting PMs about the car. If the post is violating any forum rules, then it should be removed.
sawdust
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Mar 1 2017, 07:56 AM) *

A similar 1970 car has been offered up for sale recently. A very original car with original paint, very good interior, no structural rust, a rebuilt but original injected engine and rebuilt trans and rebuilt brakes. A car that had some investment potential IMHO.

It did not bring the $13500 asking price. Might be a good benchmark for your car.

Thanks for the information.
sawdust
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Feb 28 2017, 07:56 PM) *

And by the way, this is the wrong forum if you are sensitive to "don't insult Me" ... WTF.gif

You are here now and the snow is melting. Ebay is frozen.

Get ready.. This is a generally rough and well informed crowd. A great bunch of folks that know 914 stuff.

Put it out there. I am interested in your car as I have a proven motor on a pallet and out of the way for the 6......

beerchug.gif

Sorry I posted it in the wrong place. I'd move it or delete it if only I knew how. This car is the 4 cylinder 5 speed. It's seen more of the country than I have! The wonderful lady I bought it from bought it new in Hayward California, was there for awhile, then had it transported to Connecticut for about 5 years, only driven in the summer so no salt/rust issues. Then it was moved to Houston Tx for awhile then to Arlington Tx where I came across it. It's been used and enjoyed and it by no means is in perfect condition, but it is ALL there unmolested. The cloth part of the seats probably needs replacing but otherwise the interior is close to excellent.
Thanks for replying with the info, I want and expect people here to give me honest assessments.
rick 918-S
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif Hell hole, trunks, interior, floor pans Otherwise you will only get the breeze from these guys. Good pictures sell.
sawdust
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 1 2017, 07:39 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif Hell hole, trunks, interior, floor pans Otherwise you will only get the breeze from these guys. Good pictures sell.

Yes sir, thank you for the advice. I finally have it home so I can take all the pictures asked for. After looking it over it's rust free underneath. It's the real deal, it's been hibernating in a Texas garage since 93.
sawdust
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Mar 1 2017, 08:25 AM) *

Good luck, Craig at CAMP

But the "damage" is already done. He has the word out there and you know he's getting PMs about the car. If the post is violating any forum rules, then it should be removed.

Please forgive me for posting in the wrong place, I meant no harm. If I knew how to move the post or delete the post I would.
sawdust
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Feb 28 2017, 09:15 PM) *

I don't want to insult. But if thats a 914-4 you've been greatly mislead on it's value.

For perspective, I pulled my '71 out of a garage where it had been sitting since 1996. Similar condition to yours, assuming some of the underlying sheetmetal is solid. I got it for a little over 1000. 2000 would have been overpaying realistically.

Sorry for the slow reply, somehow I missed your post.
It's a 4. I honestly don't know the value but have a substantial investment in it. It is pretty much rust free. Looked as best I could under it and it looks good.
Thanks for the reply and prospective.
Coondog
QUOTE(sawdust @ Mar 2 2017, 04:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Feb 28 2017, 09:15 PM) *

Sorry for the slow reply, somehow I missed your post.
It's a 4. I honestly don't know the value but have a substantial investment in it. It is pretty much rust free. Looked as best I could under it and it looks good.
Thanks for the reply and prospective.

So add 1,000 dollars to the price you paid for it and be done with it. My guess is your substantial investment was more then what the car Is worth.
914Sixer
I will be in San Angelo next weekend, can do a PPI if some one is interested.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.