Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel tank carpet installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
I'm going to be installing the stock fuel tank soon and found the pieces of carpet that needs to be installed.

Does the carpet glue to the bottom of the tank or the bulkhead?

How many pieces and where do they go?

I assume that the rough side of the carpet faces the fuel tank and the top/soft side lays against the bulkhead, correct?

Here's the pic...

iamchappy
The original pieces are made of an off white felt material.
74914LE
I have seen both the felt pads, and the carpet pictured.
Both have glued to the car body, with the carpet side
facing the fuel tank. The salt/pepper piece in your
picture looks like it came from a '74? On most of the
cars that I have seen, there are a total of qty. 3. Two
are against the front bulkhead, with the third above
the petal cluster on the fire wall.
Good luck

74914LE
McMark
Get rubber/neoprene or something that won't hold water against metal and cause rust. That carpet isn't original anyway. wink.gif
watsonrx13
QUOTE (McMark @ May 4 2005, 01:20 AM)
Get rubber/neoprene or something that won't hold water against metal and cause rust.  That carpet isn't original anyway.

Thanks for the info guys.

McMark, great suggestion for the rubber/neoprene...

BTW, the carpet is original and LE, you're absolutely correct, it came from a '74. I have (2) '74s and they both have the exact same carpet pieces, that's why I wasn't certain how many pieces went where.

mihai914
For reference, I've removed the gas tank off a 74 around a month ago and found the carpet pieces. Thinking they were not original I tossed them. The color was pigmented blue with grey. On two 73 they had the beige felt pads.
william harris
Yes, the carpeting is original - exactly the same from my 74. Here is where it goes. wink.gif
skline
It is put in there to keep the tank from rubbing metal on metal and eventually causing a leak and then a fire. Do put something in there whether it be felt or carpet or anything to keep it from rubbing.
URY914
DO NOT USE THE CARPET OR THE FELT!!! mad.gif

Let me tell you a story...

One day I go to get in my car and my driver's side floor is soaked with GAS!!! WTF?
The night before I have filled my tank up. I pull the tank and I find I have a rusted area the same shape as that felt pad and pin holes in the tank. The gas leaked out of the holes ran down the bulkhead and on to my floor.

I do a little more checking and I find the fresh air vent intake that connects to the cowl at the base of the windshield was loose and not sealing and keeping the water out.

Water + felt/carpet + metal = rusted tank = gas on floor.

Paul
skline
Just one more thing the factory did to make rust, what did you expect?? confused24.gif
JFJ914
QUOTE (watsonrx13 @ May 3 2005, 09:43 PM)
I'm going to be installing the stock fuel tank soon and found the pieces of carpet that needs to be installed.

How big are the pieces. I have a 74 w/NO padding.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.