Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DIY Media Blasters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
3d914
I'm using a soda blaster to medai blast my 914. Just to do the engine bay and underside of trunk I've used two 50lbs bags of XL Soda media.

Just curious what media others are using and how much to do most of the 914?

TIA
mepstein
We take the chassis to a media blast company. They use plastic media and charge about $1,500 for the entire car, inside, outside and bottom. It gets rid of all the paint, undercoating and rust.
jmitro
Like Mark said, I paid for professional media blasting on the whole car. I paid $1100 and it took an entire weekend; they went through probably 8-900lbs of media.

I purchased one of those $200 Harbor Freight DIY pressure blasters and use 90grit aluminum oxide or ground glass. When I finally get it working correctly it works really well, but it would take me FOREVER to blast my entire car using that method.
aggiezig
I've only done a Beetle before, but planning on blasting my 914 at some point soon. I have a Harbor Freight blaster, it's the cheap small red one. I've used coal slag before but the problem is it leaves a really rough texture on the metal after making it hard to wipe down prior to primer without leaving lint fuzzies. I've had better results with glass abrasive (the brand I'm using is called Clean Bite I believe). I get it from Northern Tool and it's about $8-9 per bag. I have 500 pounds ready to do my 914, will find out if that's enough.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Doing it yourself is certainly an all day affair and makes a big mess. I've toyed with the idea of paying someone to blast it more than once, but in the end can't get myself to pull the trigger.

Another idea to look into is the "wet blast" attachment for a pressure washer. It's a siphon feed, but supposedly does pretty well. Here is a link. Of course, then you have to spend more $$ for a chemical to keep it from flash rusting, like Hold Tight 102.
3d914
I hear ya guys. If it's labor-intensive work I don't mind doing it myself unless it's a skill I have no interest in. I'd rather spend the 2/3rds I save on other 914 goodies.

aaggiezig - I too have the HF blaster, the 40lb one. Converted it to soda blaster. Maybe I should look into the glass abrasive you mentioned. I'm spending $30+ for each 50lb bag of soda. That's gonna add up fast - especially if I need 600-900lbs to do the entire car.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
3d914
Just checked out the Clean Bite crushed glass media on Northern's site.

Looks like it might do the job. Not sure we have any Northern Tool locations nearby - maybe Phoenix. It would be worth the drive though to get 400-500lbs.

Good tip. Thanks.
aggiezig
QUOTE(3d914 @ Mar 2 2017, 01:45 PM) *

Looks like it might do the job. Not sure we have any Northern Tool locations nearby - maybe Phoenix. It would be worth the drive though to get 400-500lbs.

Good tip. Thanks.

You can probably find it closer to you, it's just regular old crushed glass so someone is bound to have it, I would think. If not, good luck getting out of NT without spending your paycheck on all sorts of fun cheap tools. Not as bad as harbor freight though..
914work
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 1 2017, 05:59 PM) *

We take the chassis to a media blast company. They use plastic media and charge about $1,500 for the entire car, inside, outside and bottom. It gets rid of all the paint, undercoating and rust.

agree.gif but plastic doesn't usually get the rust nor the Seam Sealer. Usually it'll be a mix of plastic & sand or other aggressive media
Be prepared to do some wire wheel or air chisel removal to get to rust joints
mepstein
QUOTE(914werke @ Mar 2 2017, 05:30 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 1 2017, 05:59 PM) *

agree.gif but plastic doesn't usually get the rust nor the Seam Sealer. Usually it'll be a mix of plastic & sand or other aggressive media
Be prepared to do some wire wheel or air chisel removal to get to rust joints

They may use other materials. The only media I see left in the car is plastic. We usually have them epoxy prime the cars as well since they sit for a while after blasting.
3d914
Here's where I'm at so far. Rust is already taken care of. Gonna leave all the seam sealer that is in good shape - so mostly removing paint & primer.

IPB Image
3d914
QUOTE(aggiezig @ Mar 2 2017, 12:48 PM) *

QUOTE(3d914 @ Mar 2 2017, 01:45 PM) *

Good tip. Thanks.

You can probably find it closer to you, it's just regular old crushed glass so someone is bound to have it, I would think. If not, good luck getting out of NT without spending your paycheck on all sorts of fun cheap tools. Not as bad as harbor freight though..

Aggiezig, turns out there's no NT west of Texas. Did find someone online that charges twice the price as NT but inludes shipping - so can't beat that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.