Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One more reason I won't retire early
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Doesn't look like much now but, I've got big plans for this baby. 2.0 liter with all the fuel injection and a 901. I'm gonna keep pouring oil in mine and plan a 2270 rebuild around Megasquirt FI.

So, I'm looking for suggestions. In particular, flowing the heads, cam and valve train, and intake air flow. Can a single 50mm throttle body on the long stock runners flow enough air. I love the low end torque but I would like to have more high end power. Can I have my cake and eat it too.

Help me start dreamin, before I have to be realistic

Dave
Part Pricer
I think you should paint it yellow. mueba.gif
Jeffs9146
Yea, Yellow is faster!! smilie_pokal.gif

Jeff
cgnj
I didn't use anything from my 2.0 motor except the tin, for my 2270.
Sent a set of 1.8 heads to HeadflowMasters.
44x38, dual springs, 2.0 spark plug angle 12mm sparkplug.
163/86b cam
ceramic lifters
Shadeck oil pump

LN Engineering is working two things for Type IV motors. Plenums with tuned lenght runners/plenum and new head casting the will supposedly support 200 HP.

You'll have time to see if these materialize.

With the benefit of hindsight, I would have built a 2055 and saved the rest of the money for a six conversion.

Feel free to contact me. I may be able to save you some missteps.

Carlos

76 2270 'I could have had a flat six'
76 project
rhodyguy
dave, did you get my email? cj, what was the ball park when all was said and done on your engine, decline if you want? remote oil cooler? h.e.'s or aftermarket headers. do you have a raby motor?

kevin
DNHunt
Ya Kevin I just read your email. I'm doin some dreamin now. I'm still going to look into it. Got a running 2.0l so if the one in the car goes TU at least I can put something in it and run. I'd sure like to stroke the rebuild when I do it, but time and $ will tell.

Dave
rhodyguy
that's why the 2.0 from the 73' is patiently sitting on the moving dolly. like money in the bank. well, thats what i tell my wife wink.gif . going to the sovern races this weekend?

kevin
DNHunt
I kind of think of this motor the same way. I just tranferred wealth from the rat hole account to a commodity. In this case a big hunk of greasy metal. You should have seen thye look on my wife's face. I don't know what she expected but I know now it wasn't dirty black. Her only comment was "Don't let this thing take to much of your time." Ya right.

Sovern, I'd like to go one day. When are you giong, maybe we can meet up?

Dave
Bleyseng
A 2056 is much easier to build than a 2270 and less money. A 2056 can get upto 125hp with the right work. Heads need to be ported, the right cam and better valve springs.
How much HP are we talking here?
For 125hp you are in the $4k ballpark, if you go the 2270 Jake Raby engine you are lookin at $6-8 plus he loves carbs.

I think the 2.0L plenum and runners will provide enough air unless its a 2270 that really screams but then thats not a street machine will lots of low end torque.

What's your budget? If you are talking Jake Raby money go for a six the four is a waste of time and money.

Geoff
Jeff Krieger
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jun 30 2003, 10:40 AM)
I kind of think of this motor the same way. I just tranferred wealth from the rat hole account to a commodity. In this case a big hunk of greasy metal. You should have seen thye look on my wife's face. I don't know what she expected but I know now it wasn't dirty black. Her only comment was "Don't let this thing take to much of your time." Ya right.

Sovern, I'd like to go one day. When are you giong, maybe we can meet up?

Dave

I like to look at your motor ... here, look at mine! mueba.gif

IPB Image
rhodyguy
i will prob go fri and sat, maybe a jaunt up on thurs.i think sat will be the big day. depending on the weather. usually i spring for the whole weekend ticket. the afternoons can be alittle warm at sir. so the morning are my fav. i'm out of there @ 2 most times. how about pete lovely's transport 9-9:30 in the pits. you can't miss it.

kevin
rhodyguy
[QUOTE]

she has a good sense of humor.

kevin
DNHunt
Kevin 9-9:30 Saturday sounds great. See you then.

Dave
anthony
I wouldn't trust myself to build a 2270. It's not a bolt together engine like a stock 2L or 2056. You have to deal with clearancing for the larger stroke. I think the cam has to be reground for smaller base circles. There will be valve train geometry problems to solve.

I think I'd just go the Raby route for a 2270. It will cost $3K more but you won't have to do any of the work and you'll get a very well made running/complete engine shipped to your door that puts out the horsepower of most of the smaller six cylinder engines.
rhodyguy
sometimes a r.a.t. engine, 2270, involves sacrificing a few items that some cannot do without. i looked into it. i was asked not to and complied. all i have read shows very happy customers for mr raby. add the costs of shipping the core to him as well.

kevin
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(anthony @ Jun 30 2003, 02:36 PM)

I think I'd just go the Raby route for a 2270. It will cost $3K more but you won't have to do any of the work and you'll get a very well made running/complete engine shipped to your door that puts out the horsepower of most of the smaller six cylinder engines.

yeah, true... but I see their point.. for 6k-8k... you are talking a BIG 6er!

if you get the engine at a decent price
anthony
A big six *engine* might cost that much but then you need all the conversion parts, the know-how, and a hundred hours or so to install it. Figure on $12K installed You can install a Raby engine in a few hours or less and you don't need thousands of dollars in conversion parts.
Aaron Cox
i saw in hot vw's, a 2850 cc type 4 enfine....carbs and 911 cooling...way cool. How long would that last? 6 passes on the 1/8th mile? laugh.gif
Bleyseng
Atleast with a "six" in a 914 you can get alot of your money back when you sell. With a Raby motor its still a four and that's that.
Dropping $8k into a four! hell for about 2k more you can have a six in there and thats a 3.0L 180hp job.
A 2056 is the best bang for the buck otherwise stepup to the big boys.

Geoff
rhodyguy
"alot of your money back" ha ha. this from a guy who goes camping in wa on the 4th. it rains about 85% of the time that day here ( not the 3rd or the 5th) and the camp grounds are like ant hills, where you going geoff?
add the cost of a header. the cooler and the fancy hoses. depending on your usable core items, the final cost will be closer to 8.5k. his 2056 would be the better buy for a dd. spring for the cryo, bal upgrade, and fancy p/c set, a motor more for longevity.

kevin
Lawrence
I have to agree... I can't see putting 8k in a /4 cylinder engine for a 914.

Maybe for a beautiful Ghia convertible... MAYBE. But then I would probably just attempt to cut the back so I could stuff a small flat 6 back there.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Bleyseng
hey Kevin, this wasn't MY idea. We are going to Goose Prairie which is about 30 min from the top of Chinook Pass. Friends have a cabin there in the woods. To bath you take a swim in the cold mountain lake.

I see a 914 with a Raby motor (1800) hooting about his killing a bunch of 911's at the AX. Says a four is soo much better than a six. Hmmm, wait 20k miles then see. (Shoptalk-type4forum)

Geoff
rhodyguy
is that thread here or elsewhere? stf? take a sweatshirt, fleese, and lots of cocoa for the kids. i can hear the whinning already. i'm cold, i'm bored, what! no fireworks, when do we go home? don't forget a valium and earplugs.

kevin
DNHunt
Thanks everyone

This is all very interesting. But, There are a few things I know.

First, I'll keep this car until I can't get in and out of it. Good Lord willing that will be 20 years or so. Hell, I've had the car longer than I've been married and have a better chance of seeing a 50 anniversery with it than my wife. (I hope to see 50 with both.). When I can't get in or out of it both kids want it so you can consider it part of my estate.

Second, It was made as a four it will stay a four. Not to knock any of the 6's but their handling lacks a certain subtilty the 4's have. (just my opinion)

Third, I'll build a stroker if I can afford it. If not, I'll build a 2056. I'm pretty certain I can do the 2056 myself. A 2270 is more than I want to take on without a lot of help. I want to assemble this engine with my son so, that means a kit if I do the 2270. I'll talk to Jake when I feel like I have a handle on the project and see what happens.

Fourth, I have an engine that runs well but is using oil and I'll try to get more miles out of it. If it isn't any worse by this fall I'll continue with my plans for suspension and rust repair this winter and try to sneak one more summer out of the old motor next year. With luck I can take my time with the new motor and do lots of planning.

Dave
rhodyguy
dave, if the timing works. maybe a few locals can go in and get a group price on the kits from an outfit like aircooled.net. i intend to get the video.

kevin
cgnj
want to assemble this engine with my son

My son (13) has mocked up my engine once. I keep telling him that he will thank me that he isn't clueless about motors. I also keep pointing to the project and saying that it's his. He can be the only 17 year old in NJ driving a 914 that he built himself. I think he's still rolling his eyes.

I am almost done with my 2270 (waiting for heads). I will compile a complete list and after I dyno my motor we could do a cost benefit look. Raby vs. roll your own (less mistakes) vs. six conversion.

Carlos

76 2270 "I could have had a flat six"
76 project
tat2dphreak
personally... I plan to do a 4.. because I don't want to do the other mods to make mine a 6... but if HP was my main concern... a 6 or a renegade kit would be the way I go... heck you can get a crate engine from chebbie for about 5k and it be aneasier conversion than a 6er done right...

I can see spending 5-6k on a type 4... but after that... you really have to start thinking hard about why you are upgrading and if a SBC or a 6er is really what you should be throwing 7000+ on....

don't get me wrong though... Raby builds AWESOME engines... the dynos prove it... but quality has, and never will come cheap
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.