Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat Hinges
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aggiezig
Any trick for loosening up the seat hinges? I've cleaned all the rust off and soaked them in penetrating oil for a few days, but they are still stiff as can be. Does anyone know if the pins can be driven out of the hinges? I could clean up the pins and re-install with my vice.

Anyone have a trick up their sleeve for these?
bdstone914
QUOTE(aggiezig @ Mar 2 2017, 12:28 AM) *

Any trick for loosening up the seat hinges? I've cleaned all the rust off and soaked them in penetrating oil for a few days, but they are still stiff as can be. Does anyone know if the pins can be driven out of the hinges? I could clean up the pins and re-install with my vice.

Bolt the seat frames to them and work back and forth. They should be stiff but movable.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 2 2017, 07:20 AM) *

Bolt the seat frames to them and work back and forth. They should be stiff but movable.

Don't attempt to drive the pins out. You'll end up with very damaged mounts.
If anything heat and work and soak and heat and work and don't breathe
malcolm2
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 2 2017, 06:20 AM) *

Short of cutting them out, Bruce is probably right. When you bolt them back on to work them, don't connect the front part. You get a wider range of motion. Or use big vise grips, one hinge at a time.

Once installed, the range of motion is really ZERO. Once you get your seat set like you like it, just don't let anyone know that they are (slightly) adjustable. shades.gif

You might look for other penetrating fluids. I like to use Sili-Kroil. Before I found that, Blaster was my go to. http://www.kanolabs.com/ Love their moto.....
"Used by 480 of the Fortune 500 companies!"
falcor75
They are very stiff of you dont have the leverage of the seat frames to move them with.....so chances are they are fine....
aggiezig
I had them pinched in my bench vice and had to use a pretty good blow with my hammer to get them to budge. So, even if they are supposed to be stiff I'm thinking mine might be REALLY stiff?

I would try installing the seats to see how it goes, but I am having to replace the seat mounts as well so I was hoping to "fix" the hinges before they get welded back in place.

Will try some more heat and soaking. Thanks for all the tips!
BeatNavy
http://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP347

Don't you want to spend more money at RD? confused24.gif
aggiezig
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 2 2017, 01:39 PM) *

http://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP347

Don't you want to spend more money at RD? confused24.gif

lol-2.gif What kills me the most is they just created a new floor repair package that has everything I bought including the hinges (that I didn't buy) for less money than I already spent. Ugh headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.