Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine consultant?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pdr1787
Hello fellow 914 brethren, I'm in search of a reputable engine builder. I need help since I've never completely built a motor from the ground up before (But its not like I don't know my way around a car) . In particular, I want it turbo'd. I have a few ideas and my options are open. Any help, hints or tips is greatly appreciated. Even an engine consultant is up for consideration.

Thanks in advance

idea.gif

Click to view attachment
sb914
QUOTE(Pdr1787 @ Mar 2 2017, 12:34 PM) *

Hello fellow 914 brethren, I'm in search of a reputable engine builder. I need help since I've never completely built a motor from the ground up before (But its not like I don't know my way around a car) . In particular, I want it turbo'd. I have a few ideas and my options are open. Any help, hints or tips is greatly appreciated. Even an engine consultant is up for consideration.

Thanks in advance

idea.gif

Click to view attachment

Everyone knows you can't "turbo" a 914 poke.gif
Harpo
Didn't McMark added a turbo to the gold 914
brant
I think if it were me in your shoes... I'd turn either to Jake Raby or Mark as the 2 engine builders with actual turbo experience.

r_towle
QUOTE(Harpo @ Mar 2 2017, 04:58 PM) *

Internet Myth
stugray
If you just have to have a turbo, want to do it relatively inexpensively (like under $30k), and arent stuck on originality, I'd put a Suby-turbo in it.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 2 2017, 07:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Harpo @ Mar 2 2017, 04:58 PM) *

Internet Myth

Yes total myth. The car wasn't gold.

Turbo part is true though! biggrin.gif

McMark on here...
Mark Henry
A high performance T4 built by a pro isn't going to be cheap, what were you thinking budget wise?

I personally wouldn't turbo a T4 engine, the spacing and unequal heads studs causes head sealing issues and is where the "you can't turbo a 914" saying comes from. I believe Mark only does turbos on the 1.7, which makes sense as the smaller jug would seal better.
For a type 4 I'd build a NA 2270cc (78mm x 96mm) or a 2310cc (80mm x 96mm)or if you have a very healthy budget a 2600cc (78mm X 102) using LN nickies.

On the big T4, if the price tag is approaching $20K then IIHO no question I'd do a /6 conversion.

Not a super fan of water cooled conversions, just because it's no longer aircooled, but if a turbo is a "must have" I'd do the subi conversion.

If sheer brute power at a semi-reasonable cost is what you're looking for then I'd consider a V8.

None of these options are cheap if you're getting a pro to do it, not really cheap even if you DIY.
Performance costs.
jim_hoyland
Call Fat Performance out in Anaheim. Owner is friendly and can walk you through the process; more importantly, he can point out the pitfalls. He's gonna close up and retire shortly, don't wait if your project is important.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.