Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fitting Momo steering wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal914
Im looking to fit a Momo steering to my 1971 914 but i can't find anywhere that sells the right Hub,they either sell Hubs for 914-6 or for a 72-76 car
Any ideas where i might buy one
Thanks Brian
GeorgeRud
I believe the hub may have been discontinued so you may have to try eBay or some used parts recyclers. I believe folks with enough fabrication skills have used the stock wheel hub after removing the wheel by grinding out the rivets and then tapping holes for the Momo wheel. Quite involved but you may have few options.

Perhaps place a WTB post in the classified forum to see if anyone has a spare one available?
stevend914
QUOTE(cal914 @ Mar 3 2017, 02:52 PM) *

Im looking to fit a Momo steering to my 1971 914 but i can't find anywhere that sells the right Hub,they either sell Hubs for 914-6 or for a 72-76 car
Thanks Brian

You can probably find one on ebay.
brubou
QUOTE(cal914 @ Mar 3 2017, 03:52 PM) *

Thanks Brian

Nevermind, just noticed you need it for a 71.
Rleog
The Momo adapter for 70-early 71 914s is no longer made. Finding a used one may be difficult. A recent thread dealt with this:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=301488

ndfrigi
When I still have the 71 1.7 megasquirt, i planned installing momo steering wheels that have 0230 hub because it came from a 914-6. 8000 is the hub for momo for early 914-4 based on my research. Well took more than a year searching for used one until I sold the car. Solved my problem because I dont have that 71 car.
Hope someone who has the hub you want will end up going back to stock steerinf wheel and sell the early hub.

Click to view attachment
Blue6
Agree with Noel, the momo part number you need is #8000. The #8002 will not fit. They pop up every so often here, but you have to be fast. Found mine on eBay about a year ago for $350. Just the price of hunting NLA parts....
porschetub
Yes exactly,found 2 early ones on ebay,late are 8002 as stated,don't quote me but I think the early ones are small spline and a golf one may be the same or beetle of that era.
The early ones I found were a fair price ,but guess they are for the six only,seems that way.
PlaysWithCars
Bummer, thought that I had one for you. But I checked my stock and what I have is an early solid 8002 for the later cars.

In order to mount a quick disconnect and a Momo on my -6 I did what was mentioned above: removed the factory hub from and early 911 wheel then tapped it for the Momo pattern. It worked flawlessly.
7TPorsh
I had the same problem finding one. Finally found one here.

i was going to try to find a grant or racemark hub and use an adaptor. There are adapter rings available on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grant-3-hole-to-Mo..._GQ&vxp=mtr
turnaround89
I believe folks with enough fabrication skills have used the stock wheel hub after removing the wheel by grinding out the rivets and then tapping holes for the Momo wheel. Quite involved but you may have few options.

This is what I have started doing on my current 914 and did on my previous one as well.

My first 914 I cut the steering wheel center hub and attached the MOMO wheel directly to this. The downfall to this is that you don't have a nice transition from the turn signal switches to the MOMO steering wheel. there is a black plastic ring behind the steering wheel that fills in the "void" and makes a nice transition here.

On my current 914 I am trying to keep the "stock" look and have begun designing the below adapter. The 6 holes match up with the MOMO steering wheel and run the entire length of the adapter. The plan is to tap the holes so the MOMO steering wheel attaches and then you can bolt the adapter to the 914 steering wheel center section. A little modification needs to be done to the center section to complete the design so the horn button can be used, but all in due time. The horn button will be a press fit as it seems MOMO designed it this way to begin with.
IPB Image
Tjmrfe
QUOTE(cal914 @ Mar 3 2017, 12:52 PM) *

Thanks Brian

Brian
I just installed a NRG on mine, and got a universal Hub from Amazon...worked perfectly, good luck
Tjmrfe
QUOTE(Tjmrfe @ Mar 4 2017, 02:01 PM) *

QUOTE(cal914 @ Mar 3 2017, 12:52 PM) *

Thanks Brian

Brian
I just installed a NRG on mine, and got a universal Hub from Amazon...worked perfectly, good luck

its item number,
594 manufactured by Crowder.
GregAmy
Has anyone tried installing a later upper column to an earlier car? Is it a bolt-on?
BeatNavy
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Mar 4 2017, 05:23 PM) *

Has anyone tried installing a later upper column to an earlier car? Is it a bolt-on?

Yes and no:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1113179
GregAmy
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 4 2017, 06:57 PM) *

Yeah, doesn't really sound worth it just to be able to use the Momo 8002.
BuddyV
What is the Momo hub model # for later cars... .say, a 1975?

I may be looking for one soon. Is that hub still being produced?
GregAmy
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Mar 6 2017, 10:11 PM) *

8002. Still available. I got one from Louis Boustani last week, he has them in stock. LTBAutosports.com.
vin man
For my 1971 914-4, I ordered one of these from Classic Garage:

http://classicgarage.com/s5904.html
JoeD
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Mar 6 2017, 10:11 PM) *

I just put one on my '73. Bought the momo hub (8002) and prototipo wheel from Amazon. Shipping was free with Prime.

Click to view attachment
sithot
I'm on my second 8002 and it's not going on without a sledge hammer which means I'd need a slide hammer to get if off! WTF.gif

First vendor suggested filing the innards to fit the shaft. I called BS on that as I've installed more MOMO hubs and wheels than I can remember. Fit has never been an issue. This is dead original very early '73 2.0.

NRG and Classic Garage have options but what gives with the 8002's?
GreatPumpkin
So I’ve been looking for answers on this for some time. I reached out to momo directly. This is the emails the guy sent to me. Is he correct? He acts like I have no idea what I’m talking about. (Which I probably don’t). Anyway please see the email below related to a 1970 914 steering wheel hub. Through forms and internet searches I’ve seen the early cars require the mo-8000 hub not the mo-8002 hub. Is this not the case?

“Thanks for reaching out. For your '70 914, there are a few options. If you are racing your car and taking it to the track you will need 8002. If it is a strictly street driven vehicle, you can run either C231 or L231. The C231 is a shorter hub that will place the wheel further away from the driver. The L231 is a longer hub that puts the wheel closer to the driver. There is about 1 inch difference in height between the two. The 350mm Prototipo has a small dish (39mm or 1.5") so that would be something to consider.

At the end of the day, all three will fit just fine on your car. It comes down to the usage of the vehicle and personal preference. Let me know if you have other questions. “

Just trying to figure out if he’s correct. I don’t wanna order something that’s not right. I asked why the 8002 part number says 72+ models, but he said there is no such thing as mo-8000 and my information is not correct.

What do you guys think?

Thank you
Varooom
Here is my newly added Momo 370mm. Size is factory stock! Had the wheel custom stitched and redone leather. Love it!

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
GreatPumpkin
QUOTE(Varooom @ Nov 2 2022, 06:35 PM) *

Here is my newly added Momo 370mm. Size is factory stock! Had the wheel custom stitched and redone leather. Love it!

It does look nice, what hub part number do you have? What year is the car?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment [attachments=856531] Click to view attachment

Cairo94507
Very nicely done- that looks great. beerchug.gif
r_towle
Can’t recall, but I made a ring that bolted on to stock and flipped the pattern for mono….local machine shop
sithot
QUOTE(GreatPumpkin @ Nov 2 2022, 05:47 PM) *

At the end of the day, all three will fit just fine on your car. It comes down to the usage of the vehicle and personal preference. Let me know if you have other questions. “

Just trying to figure out if he’s correct. I don’t wanna order something that’s not right. I asked why the 8002 part number says 72+ models, but he said there is no such thing as mo-8000 and my information is not correct.

What do you guys think?

Thank you

The 8002 exists. I had a bad one. Have a good one now. This one has been tested to fit on my early 73 car.
Varooom
QUOTE(GreatPumpkin @ Nov 2 2022, 05:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Varooom @ Nov 2 2022, 06:35 PM) *

It does look nice, what hub part number do you have? What year is the car?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment [attachments=856531] Click to view attachment

My car is a 1972. Momo hub is the solid 8002.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
Jeff at Classico steering wheels sells an adaptor for the 70 71 914 to fit the momo wheel
Retroracer
QUOTE(cal914 @ Mar 3 2017, 01:52 PM) *

Thanks Brian

On my '70 I solved the problem by finding an NOS Nardi adaptor on eBay (for 70-71 914-4; they seem to come up more often than the MOMO versions), then purchased a thin Nardi > MOMO adaptor ring to mount the wheel (the latter item is widely available).

- Tony
sithot
Apparently the Solid Hub 8002 is all there is for later cars as far as MOMO is concerned. A vendor on eBay and Amazon relayed this. YMMV.

Jeffrey Fellman is a good source for wheels and accessories.
http://www.classicowheels.com

scott_in_nh
About 10 years ago my son bought and installed a Prototipo as a Father's Day gift!
While I love it, I find myself accidentally turning on the wipers while AXing or even just pulling out onto a road quickly!
At 350mm is also blocks the gauges and always seemed a bit small.

Click to view attachment

I was given another 370mm Momo - can help me identify what model and whose signature is on it?
As you can see it needs a new cover. I want to recover it myself - who makes the nicest kit?

Click to view attachment

A bigger mystery, and maybe why I don't here more complaints about turning on the wipers, why is the 8002 hub my son installed is shorter than the one that came with the "Mystery Momo"?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
GregAmy
That may be a JDM Momo steering wheel, some Japanese cars had that, but with a center cover that fit between those padded areas where the thumb lies. Also used in Europe. I snagged one of those off eBay for the race car (mine is 380mm).

You'll need a closer photo for that sig.

Install one of the below. It will move the steering wheel up to get the wheel out of the way of viewing the gauges, and will space the wheel toward you a little bit. You won't even notice the eccentric when you're using it.

https://www.jwestengineering.com/Steering-E...apter_p_19.html
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jan 27 2023, 10:43 AM) *

That may be a JDM Momo steering wheel, some Japanese cars had that, but with a center cover that fit between those padded areas where the thumb lies. Also used in Europe. I snagged one of those off eBay for the race car (mine is 380mm).

You'll need a closer photo for that sig.

Install one of the below. It will move the steering wheel up to get the wheel out of the way of viewing the gauges, and will space the wheel toward you a little bit. You won't even notice the eccentric when you're using it.

https://www.jwestengineering.com/Steering-E...apter_p_19.html

I'm considering the offset and will likely go that way if I stay with the Proto.
For now at least I will install the longer hub.
Here is the signature

gokart73
That’s a Niki Lauda Momo from the late ‘70’s or early ‘80’s. Should be a X - XX month/date stamped on the back.

Not a lot of survivors. Certainly worth restoring or refurbishing.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(gokart73 @ Jan 27 2023, 04:08 PM) *

That’s a Niki Lauda Momo from the late ‘70’s or early ‘80’s. Should be a X - XX month/date stamped on the back.

Cool thanks!

The date code is 9 78 smile.gif
scott_in_nh
I did install the longer of the two 8002's with the Tipo, and it does help give more room between the wheel and the wiper switch.
Am I the only one who didn't know the length had changed?
I also ordered a sew on cover kit for the Lauda Momo and will give it a try too
Freezin 914
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Jan 27 2023, 03:47 PM) *

QUOTE(gokart73 @ Jan 27 2023, 04:08 PM) *

Cool thanks!

The date code is 9 78 smile.gif

Very cool!
I need one of those! Nice score.
SKL1
Glad I got the MOMO Jackie Stewart wheel and adapter for my early '71 50 some years ago! Had no idea they were that hard to find smile.gif

CCE
Got my momo from Amazon, with a Porsche hub, did not fit. So I sourced the 8002 from eBay, and worked perfectly.
Click to view attachment

The momo prototipo is the version with the distressed leather, which I think looks good, fits the mood. Lastly the leather horn button.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.