Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now I Know For Sure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
It's very seldom that she will ride in the 914. Only drove it twice & the first time it left her & a friend stranded dry.gif The 2nd time she was grinding 1st gear while at a stop light & says "I thought you fixed this thing" mad.gif (That was when the 1.7 was acting up & din't want to take the throttle too) unsure.gif

Today I'd been driving it and we had to go shopping so she says "which car we takin'? (both cars were side by side) rolleyes.gif so I says we'll take Punkin. boldblue.gif

Well... on the way back from the store she says, "this thing rides stiffer 'n shit!, guess that's cuz of all the auto cross mods you've done, eh"?

I says, "Yup, makes it corner real flat"

& she says "so that's more important than comfort"? cool_shades.gif

all I said after that was, "I'm comfortable" smile.gif

..........b (end of story) givemebeer.gif

Mrs. K
sad.gif That's too bad, Bruce! I'd ride with you and drive it anytime!
Love the teeners!

Lisa wub.gif
dlo914
isnt there a portion of the wedding vows where the spouse is to support in health, sickness, and 914s? biggrin.gif
d7n7master
1999 - Wife & I go for a putt. Her first drive. What fun! I heard crunch crunch crunch. She pulled over, got out and said "U drive". So I installed a Weltmeister reverse lock-out (thank god) shift kit.
I said "all fixed - go for a drive?" We went. I drove. She's never ever driven it again.
Think about it: not really a bad thing. driving.gif
pete-stevers
It is not my wife I have to worry about, it is her best friend.... who happens to work at the bank I deal with ...lets just call her Amy for now...one day after doing a transfer to someone for conversion parts...think it was bout 1500 buckeroos or so....she decides to let me have it. w00t.gif .. for spending MY money on MY car..... screwy.gif Geez..... we didn't have them over for a while after that.....
We are all freinds again grouphug.gif ....but she will never ask to go for a ride in the Scarlet Harlot...
72914S
She says, "too loud,too windy,too low ". Also "This rides too hard I would rather ride in your truck" And the best"Quit acting like a kid and grow up" I wouldn`t trade ether of them!!! boldblue.gif
xsboost90
i guess im just lucky, when i told her i was trading my 944 off and getting a 914, she said they looked ugly..i explained well this picture doesnt do it justice. When we picked it up she said "that doesnt look like the picture" and after riding in it she liked it. Now that its alittle stiffer we'll see what she says but she drives an autox prepped 924s to work everyday so i doubt ill hear anything.
rick 918-S
My wife and I have a great relationship. She never limits me or stunts my growth as a creative person. As long as I'm being productive I do what I want on my schedule. We've been together for 30 years. She's always supported my passion. So her reaction to the 914 was not the norm.
I had my car for several years before I finished it. It looked like it does now but had the 1.7 in it. It spent it's time in my body shop. Wife never even gave it a second look when it was a slab sided white ophan sitting in the corner. The first time my wife ever really saw my car was very early one morning before work. I spent all night at the shop finishing it. I drove up in the yard just in time for her to come out of the house to go to work. Now granted she was probably a little pist because I was out all night. But I was working on cars...sheeezz.. confused24.gif

She looked at it and said; "what are you going to do with that!"

me; Drive it.

Her; That's nothing put a pick up car! The only thing that's good for is picking up chicks!

me; want to go for a ride? cool_shades.gif wink.gif

She treated that car like "the other woman" for years. The story is longer but it's early and I've told it before. After many years of ownership she's coming around. rolleyes.gif

She actually talked nice about it the other day and told me I'd better get busy making the car ready for next years Classic. wub.gif
MecGen
Hi People
Copy and paste
Wife & I go for a putt. Her first drive. What fun! I heard crunch crunch crunch. She pulled over, got out and said "U drive"..

It cost me 50% of a clutch. This was worth the price.
later
Joe

beerchug.gif
thomasotten
My wife loves the 914. She even has a pet name for it. She even likes the monza muffler and keeps begging me not to take it off. I hate the monza, BTW.
ken914
I had to point out to my wife that there are a lot of things worse than liking cars.

1) I don't go play golf for 8 hours every weekend.
2) I like spending time with my young daughters and generally work on the car after they are asleep and when she is on the phone.
3) I don't do crack, unless I can weld it back together.
4) I don't smoke pot, unless it smokes while I am welding it back together.
5) I don't hand around strippers clubs, except for paint strippers.
6) I don't steal, lie, cheat, fool around, gamble our life savings, or do alot of other things that many husbands do.

Overall, cars are a pretty good hobby.
red914
just last evening my wife was going to pick up our oldest daughter from fencing lessons, and asks, "mind if i take the little red car?"

i told her to go for it. she then asked if there was anything she should be aware of. i told her to remember the shift pattern was different (she remembered), and that it likes to warm up for a minute before driving off.

she returns, and is pleased that it doesn't want to stall on her anymore, and that it seems a bit peppier. she likes it. yes, the top was off. the car's, not hers; get yer minds outa the gutter. (it is crowded down here in the gutter)
balljoint
QUOTE (ken914 @ May 4 2005, 10:52 AM)

6) I steal, lie, cheat, fool around, gamble our life savings, or do alot of other things that many husbands do.

I will assume that #6 should have the word "don't" in there somewhere.

I don't know if my wife will ever like going for drives in the car, but with what I have put into the car, sweat and bloody fingers and $wise I am damn sure never going to let her (not that she'd want to) or any of my goofy friends, drive it.
mudfoot76
QUOTE (ken914 @ May 4 2005, 09:52 AM)
I had to point out to my wife that there are a lot of things worse than liking cars.

I've had this arguement with my gf a few times and alway return to this simple point. There are millions of other ways to pass the free time, and tinkering (obsessing?) with cars is one of the most innocent hobbies I can imagine. wink.gif
jasons
My fiance(gonna be wife in a month) doesn't get my car hobby. Its ok I don't get her hair/nail/makeup/shoe hobby. Some things are just better left for the individuals and not the couple. I really don't want her meddle'n with my car decisions anymore than she wants me telling her how to do her hair. Besides, I prefer to keep the garage a "man only" part of the house so I at least have a fallout shelter.

Nonetheless she is impressed with what I am able to accomplish.
EdwardBlume
My wife had similar complaints about comfort, but not while she was driving!!!! Share the wheel!!! driving-girl.gif
Eric_Shea
I wouldn`t trade ether of them

You mean you wouldn't trade the 914 "or" the truck... confused24.gif biggrin.gif
MarkG
Haven't had a chance to have passengers in my 914 yet - but women universally hated my 308......too hot, too smelly, too low, too noisy .... yadda yadda yadda.....
merrill
My wife really likes the new 914. It has a lot to do with a very clean interior. She loves the way "it feels like a go-cart"! smilie_pokal.gif We have driven go-carts before, and when she isn't pregnant she wants to stop at the track every time we pass it, that sucks huh ohmy.gif
Bruce Allert
cool.gif I feel so much better now that I know I'm not alone hide.gif

Mrs. K, thanks for makin' me smile wavey.gif

...b
anthony
My girlfriend no longer likes the 914 since she's experienced the comfort of the 911SC. The 914's heater is also very stinky (needs some pushrod tube seals and new or cleaned out HEs) and the gf is always cold.

ninefourteener
My g/f can't drive a stick---LMFAO biggrin.gif

Awwwww... her loss. Judging by the way she's beat the shit out of her Cavalier, I probably wouldn't let her drive it anyway.

BUT.... she does like riding in it.. so long as we're not going somewhere where her hair needs to look good.

I can't complain... she's pretty supportive of my hobbies.

In fact, I'm entering my first autocross on June 12th... and she's expressed an interest in entering as well... in the "chick" runs.......... In my Acura of course.

beerchug.gif
redshift
QUOTE (Bruce Allert @ May 4 2005, 01:17 AM)
I says, "Yup, makes it corner real flat"

& she says "so that's more important than comfort"? cool_shades.gif

all I said after that was, "I'm comfortable" smile.gif

..........b (end of story) givemebeer.gif

smilie_pokal.gif

She loves you! Otherwise, she would have opened the door, and rolled out on your turn!

Proof!

Best you can do.

M
MartyYeoman
My wife usually doesn't connect with my passion for the 914.

At the end of the track day at WCC-05 I handed over the car to
Leymon (my instructor) and asked him to take her out for a couple of laps.

She came back with a smile that lasted two days.

I think she understands now. mueba.gif
nebreitling
uhhh, marty: do you know what exactly went on out on the track? unsure.gif

j/k! your wife is a hoot, btw!!! really enjoyed hanging w/ you guys.
914fire
My wife and i went on or first date in the teener. She didnt belive i had a Porsche ha showed her . Took it on our honeymoon then she drove it back and forth to work every day for a year. its been parked for ten years now but im getting it ready to go again and she said she she looking forward to riding in it and driving it again.. guess im lucky... biggrin.gif
anderssj
My bride and I drove the 914 home from our wedding--23 years ago. She still loves it--even after all these years of no-starts, push-starts, flat-tows, dashboard fire, etc., etc. I'm big-time lucky too!

BTW, used it this afternoon to pick up our anniversary present . . . .

-----------

Steve A-
toecutter
I turn 39 soon and I told my wife that I either needed a Porsche or a girlfriend. She is very practical and said "Porsche". Ha! I win again because my wife is hot.
J P Stein
My wife will get into SOL to do brake bleeds....thas it.
She does like the new paintjobthatwasheridea specially when I tell her how much money we saved by the DIY deal....all she says is "How's your headache?"...I think she's coming around.

It used to be a steady diet of "What the hell(or worse) you doin' out there? "Just some tunin'", sez I....." You call it tunin' I call it pissin' off the neighbors"......"Yeah but they won't say nuthin' or I won't loan em' any tools"......"Asshole"...
"Ayup" biggrin.gif
grantsfo
My wife has loved every 914 I have owned and critiques my shifting and my line through corners when I drive. She is the one who encoraged me to buy my current 914. She has driven formula Fords on Laguna Seca and has tried her hand behind the wheel of the 914 on The Streets. When I bought her Audi A4 her first question to me was when are you going to put some real springs and Koni Yellows on the car and how about a chip? I still cant get her to go to AX events for some reason ...maybe she has a boyfreind who drives on the track! ...I am blessed biggrin.gif
black73
It was the wife's idea to buy the 914 to begin with. About 4 years ago I told her it's gonna take some serious time and money to keep it running decent. She said "Go for it." And just last year I was going to sell it to finance my classic Mustang project. She said " No way! Keep both of them." I guess I'm lucky. grouphug.gif
TurtleGirl
Now, I have the backwards household. I've been working on VW's my entire "adult" life, and just recently got into the 914 world. My husband just doesn't get it. It's not going to get him chicks. It's not going to get ME chicks, so what's the benefit? lol2.gif

Now... if I can only get him to either buy me a 914, or give me a raise... I'm in the unfavorable position of working for his company... Doesn't give me much leverage for purchasing BIG toys... wacko.gif
Dave-O
As soon as I teach her how to get the car into second gear my girlfriend is going to Autocross with me, She can't wait driving-girl.gif

David

dgw
my wife loves Porsches, one reason we have three, but doesn't get along well with the 914. Drives the heck out of the other two though.
Bruce Allert
TurtleGirl Posted on May 4 2005, 08:18 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, I have the backwards household. I've been working on VW's my entire "adult" life

What's better than a wife who loves beer and cars?

can't get much bett'r'n dat... unless, of course, a few million comes wit it! beer.gif

b clap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.