Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 912 E engine for my 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pmead
I just got offered a 2.0 engine from a 1976 912E. The engine is said to have 40k miles on it. It has not run for a long time but is not frozen. Dual weber carbs all the tins and boxes of random stuff Dizzy's, coils, some pistons/cylinders etc... Is the 912 engine a good upgrade from my 1.7? The engine # is correct for the 912E. The gentleman also has an engine mount cross bar that he says will work in my 73. What the engine worth? My 1.7 (stock injection) runs well, but I may consider the upgrade.
mepstein
It may not be an upgrade if he didn't change the cam. Is it free?
pmead
Still has stock cam. Not free $800.00.
mepstein
I wouldn't do it if your current engine is running well.
pmead
You are probably right. I have been doing some research on the 912 e's. I will give him a very low offer. If he accepts I will rebuild it for carbs and then put in my car. No down time and still have a stock motor if I want.
mepstein
I wouldn't do it but it doesn't mean it's not a good deal. It's a pretty cheap way to play.
Dave_Darling
It's a 2.0 914 engine with different sheet metal, different exhaust, and L-jet EFI. And I think a smog pump as well.

The FI sounds like it's gone. The engine tin should be replaced with proper 914 2.0 tin; a 912->Type IV conversion would love to use the 912E tin. Ditto the exhaust.

So what you have is a basic carbureted 2.0 motor. Is it worth using? Sure, why not? Is it better to keep what you have? Very possibly--but it depends what you want to do.

--DD
porschetub
An average gutless motor that made less power than the introduction 1.7 914 motor in the 914 from memory,I would buy it and store away @ that price for someone with one of those limited production cars to buy.
These cars are slowly climbing in value a bit like their top speed, as mentioned the cam is a real issue with carbs,good luck.
pmead
Thanks for the responses. I have to decided to make an offer. If I get it I will bring to Hershey. There may be someone there who wants some original 912E parts!
Bsherrard
did you end up buying this motor? What is the status? I have a 912E I am restoring.
burton73
BINGO
IronHillRestorations
If it comes with the heaters it's a no brainer, get it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.