Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Door Panels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dilde
Okay guys, next question. So far, the responses have been outstanding.

My '73 2.0 is coming back from paint. All "fuzzy" stripping has been replaced in the doors.

Problem: The painter has destroyed the clear plastic "mylar", or whatever, that is glued to the inside of the door, before you punch the panels in. Any suggestions? Is the stuff necessary? For sound? For water? Can I still buy it? Can I fabricate it? Etc. I have time and money. Just looking for the easiest and best way.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Dr Evil
Use a plastic trash bag and spray adhesive. They are needed to keep your wooden interior panels from warping when the rain seeps in.
HTH
larryp
Even better, use the acoustic door mat. It is just as waterproof and makes the car a bunch quieter.

Door Mat
CptTripps
Its not clear, but go get a roll of 'Contractor Bags' from Lowes/Home Depot. They are the same thickness, LOTS cheaper, and the size of the bag is big enough that it'll cover the whole panel.
Marlow
I made mine out of drop-cloth plastic. Went to Home Depot and found the thickest I could (6 mil I think) then traced and cut it out. Used the rest of the dropcloth plastic to do a bunch of painting so no waste!
rhodyguy
3M double sided, Scotch Tape works great (plenty cheap too). put it around perimeter. as stated, a piece of 1 or 2 mil plastic painter's drop cut roughly oversize. put it on from top to bottom, make a small x to go over the winder stem, and trim with a sharp razor knife or exacto. done!

k
rhilgers
A trick from the only crowd cheaper...vw bugs.

Use Tyvek tape to tape down the plastic.

Ya know, Tyvek is the water barrior stuff for houses.
They make their own tape for the seams. Waterproof, sticks like mad.

I made the mistake of putting it down flat on carpet.
Just the sides of the tape lifted the carpet up.

About $10 at a good construction supplier.

Side notes: Replace the fuzzy circular seals around the window knob with the fuzzy seperators found in 100 packs of
CD/DVDs.

Spray the back of the doorpanels with Scotchgard.

-Rich Hilgersom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.