Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Cuts Out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlee6204
I finally got the the point when my project car is running well and I have one last issue I need to address. The engine cuts out / dies when going around a corner. This is with a full tank of gas. I can make a u-turn and it it will sputter and die 1-2 seconds and then roar back to life. I can also go around a corner at speed and the engine will sputter/ backfire out the exhaust for a brief second before running regularly again. It doesn't matter left or right turn. Anyone have any theories?

Stock '71 w/ Djet. This is on my build thread car so nearly everything has been gone through or replaced. New fuel system, clean tank etc.

Thanks

http://w.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=248776
audio_file
Check to make sure the fuel tank isn't sitting on/pinching off any extra fuel line underneath it. If it doesn't seem to have a problem with less fuel, that would be my first guess- I've had that happen before idea.gif
injunmort
make sure the battery is securely tight to the the tray. i had a bungee cord on mine years ago and when turning, the battery would slide into the side and ground itself.
cwpeden
Both directions or just one?

My fuel pump wiring was broken and would shut off the pump only when autocrossing turning left. Actually found it by accident, now I can start wearing out my left rear tire. tongue.gif
Rand
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Mar 5 2017, 05:17 PM) *

Both directions or just one?

See first post.
cwpeden
Thx, misread it.
SirAndy
Do you have a Bosch blue coil?
idea.gif
stugray
I once had the condenser (little silver can on the side of the dizzy) break off of its mount and fall on top of the engine, still connected to the wire.

It would run fine sitting or driving flat, but when I turned a corner it would roll around on the engine tins and the engine would cut out.
dlee6204
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 5 2017, 09:25 PM) *

idea.gif

No. Just a regular cheap coil.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Mar 6 2017, 02:56 AM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 5 2017, 09:25 PM) *
idea.gif
No. Just a regular cheap coil.

I'm asking because the Bosch Blue coils are just a tad too small to fit tight inside the clamp on the fan shroud and will slide left/right when cornering hard.

And when they slide, the coil + will arc to the clamp ground and the engine will cut out. Might want to check your coil and make sure it doesn't slide.

Been there, done that ...
dry.gif
IronHillRestorations
I wonder if there's a foreign object in the distributor that's causing it to ground out.
dlee6204
I went out and checked everything suggested. Battery is secure. Nothing appeared obvious in the distributor. Coil is also tight and not hitting anything. I have not checked the lines under the tank yet.

I then wanted to try to isolate the issue so I used a long fuel hose and routed a fuel pressure gage to the cockpit and went for a drive. When doing U-turns I repeatably noticed a significant drop in fuel pressure. This tells me that it's either an obstruction in the fuel lines somewhere or that it's an electrical issue for the fuel pump.

Next step will be to pull the belly pan to check for any pinched lines.
dlee6204
I got around to pulling the steering pan today. I found that my supply line was indeed pinched so I'm hoping that fixes things. I won't be able to test drive the car for several days because salt on the roads but I'll try to give an update once I do. Thanks everyone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.