Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Be careful where you leave your Porsche
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Unobtanium-inc
Not all shops are created equal, as this poor guy found out when his GT3 got balled up.

http://jalopnik.com/shop-owner-smashes-the...s-in-1792973207

---Adam
JmuRiz
Ouch, but who gets a new GT3RS and thinks it needs more power?
Mueller
Donor vehicle....give me that motor and I guarantee it will fit in my 914 !

Bumper, at least they owned up to it.
billh1963
Been following that thread on rennlist for a week or so...that's one way to lose a business fast. His customer base just went to around zero
IronHillRestorations
I only drive customer cars when I have to.

It always makes me nervous, I'm always worried about someone bashing into me whenever I drive a car that isn't mine.

I do have insurance for cars in my shop, but I bet there'd be some fast talking if I totaled a mega dollar customer car like that.
PlantMan
Similar story....Mechanic totaled a Lambo down the street from my house a couple years back. No one was hurt except for the mechanics ego, wallet and pride.
He may be working at WalMart now.
Last930
I had an idiot dealer mechanic crash my new (1k miles) 911 Turbo back in 2002 while on a test ride after maintenance; the owner of the dealership initially told me to put it through MY insurance company! It eventually worked out, due to a stand-up service manager, but I did not get a new car.
Unobtanium-inc
I gotta go with Top Gun on this one,
"Don't write a check that your ass can't cash!"
McMark
A friend wanted to test drive a 356 I restored. I told them to bring a cashiers check made out to me for $200,000 and I'll think about it. av-943.gif
Mueller
My mother-in-law took her pristine low mileage SL380 to the local Mercedes place, mechanic ran a stop sign and got t-boned by a large truck and totaled her car.

Not sure who's insurance paid for it, will have to ask her. It was a nice car!
Dave_Darling
Happens more than any of us would like to contemplate.

Many of us probably remember how Qarl's brand-new (and very rare at the time!) Lotus Elise got dumped off the lift by someone at a tire shop who didn't listen when he told them not to lift it like they did other cars.

A Porschephiles member (or possibly Rennlist back when it was a mailing list?) lucked into getting 912E #1. Took it to his mechanic to check over and fettle, the mechanic wrapped it around a pole. Oops.

--DD
EdwardBlume
"Ain't life a bitch"
Maltese Falcon
Best to know and trust your tuning shop real well these days. The mechanic will of course test the car on public roads. Spirited driving, leading into " Exercising" these high powered cars on public roads is risky. My neighbor who has his gt3rs highly modified and maintained by an independent Porsche tuner, does allow his car to be transported to Fontana AAA Speedway for high speed testing. "Exercising" of his newest mods are never done on the streets by his shop. I guess everyone wants their 15 minutes of youtube fame these days, even if it calls for reckless street driving driving.gif
GT3rs has a rather stiff unibody !
Click to view attachment
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 6 2017, 07:01 AM) *

Been following that thread on rennlist for a week or so...that's one way to lose a business fast. His customer base just went to around zero

So did his ability to insure his business. I bet there was a cap on his coverage and he will be sued for the short fall.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.