Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early gear shift lever issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mgphoto
So I'm getting ready to leave for the Phoenix club, start the car and I shake the gear lever, feels different, a bit loose, as I'm shaking it I notice it swivels, the shift lever rotates 360 degrees!
I Try shifting, it works as long as I shift according to the pattern, I can shift normaly but I have to be aware of the correct movement.
Has this happen to anyone else? Any solution?
Thanks
Mike
mepstein
If you need a replacement I can send you one ( the whole assembly) for the cost of shipping.
Cairo94507
Typically the weld breaks and allows the shift lever spin. Happened to my Six. Just need to weld it at the base. welder.gif
GeorgeRud
I seem to remember that the Weltmeister short shift kit used epoxy to attach the lever to it's base. If welding is not available for you, the epoxy would probably work for you as well.
jcd914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Mar 6 2017, 08:07 PM) *

I seem to remember that the Weltmeister short shift kit used epoxy to attach the lever to it's base. If welding is not available for you, the epoxy would probably work for you as well.

I have re-epoxied several of the Weltmeister shift levers.
I would pull them completely apart and clean the coupling and scuff it up with some emery cloth or fine sandpaper.
Then I warm up the shift lever parts with a heat gun, so the epoxy thins out when applied. It means I can get it inside the joint.
The epoxy set very fast when applied to warn metal parts so be quick.

Jim

rgalla9146
Well this is great news.
I have a Weltmeister that has a very short lever.
I can heat it, remove the original lever and either glue or weld a longer
original in the short shift bottom.
bdstone914
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Mar 6 2017, 09:07 PM) *

So I'm getting ready to leave for the Phoenix club, start the car and I shake the gear lever, feels different, a bit loose, as I'm shaking it I notice it swivels, the shift lever rotates 360 degrees!
I Try shifting, it works as long as I shift according to the pattern, I can shift normaly but I have to be aware of the correct movement.
Has this happen to anyone else? Any solution?
Thanks
Mike

I have several early shifters too that are free. I am in Riverside.
call me or text me a 951 536 7478 and I can have one in the mail tomorrow.

Bruce
rgalla9146
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 7 2017, 07:41 AM) *

Well this is great news.
I have a Weltmeister that has a very short lever.
I can heat it, remove the original lever and either glue or weld a longer
original in the short shift bottom.

Well...not so fast.
The Weltmeister I have is welded.
Beautiful TIG with original black paint top to bottom.
mgphoto
Thanks mepstein and Bruce, I am going to take a look and see if I can weld it, if not I take a replacement. I'll let you know.
Thanks,
Mike
mgphoto
Ok took the lever out, found the problem. Shift lever has a slot on the ball section that rides in shift lever housing.
There is a pin that prevents the lever from rotating.
Housing is nla.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.