Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumper Colour
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
balljoint
Trying to decide what to do about the bumpers on the yellow car. I think what I want to do is go with the body colour and the black bumper tops and targa top, no sail panel vinyl. Then eventually getting painted f/g bumper tops and a painted lid. S'what I want okay?

I have been trying to find some pics of cars with body colour bumpers but they seem few and far between. Most of what I see is either chrome or just black.

Didn't some of these cars come with painted bumpers? Anybody got any good painted bumper pics? I guess that the 916 nose and bum usually end up body colour but I will just be putting the stock bumpers on for now.
davep
Steel bumpers were either chrome or black except for the LE's, and they were color matched to the stripes. Very early on there may have been some color matched bumpers also. For the rubber bumpers they were black, except for some 'silber series' cars and maybe the last few. Overall, the majority were black or chrome.

If you have half decent chrome bumpers and want to have painted bumpers, then perhaps we should talk.
tat2dphreak
click links in my sig... my paint isn't the best, but you get the idea of body-color bumpers... I like the look, much better than Black, but not as cool as chrome... I need bumper tops too, don't hold that against "the look" wink.gif

when is the fiberglass toppers group buy?!?!
Porsche Rescue
Standard car (no appearance group option) in 70 and 71 (not sure about 72) came with body color bumpers, sails and trim around the targa bar.
tat2dphreak
yea, nevermind, don't look at my car... look at THAT one... better, and same color...
Joe Bob
Here's my old ride....

user posted image
balljoint
Nice guys, I really do like that look better than the black or chrome, the sail vinyl and the black bumpers etc. IMHO "date" the car.

Sorry Dave no chrome bumpers just lying around.
MoveQik
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 4 2005, 07:26 AM)
when is the fiberglass toppers group buy?!?!

I agree....when is the group buy on the fiberglass tops!?

Count me in.
bondo
Cool thread, I'm also thinking about what to do about bumper color. I am even toying with the idea of making a steel bumper top, welding it to the bumper, and having the whole deal chromed. I'm having a hard time picturing what it would look like though. Any thoughts?
balljoint
Bumpers are painted and installed. There have been a few threads on this topic recently so I thought I would post pics of my '74 with yellow bumpers. More in the blog. Thanks to Mike's 914's, Colborne, ON.
balljoint
uno mas
balljoint
Car is a bit dusty. I'm on my way out to pick up a case of Armour-All. wink.gif
redshift
I love matched bumpers! Nice looking.

Armor All? Too bad you can't park next to that blue /6 that is on Ebay every other week.

M
tat2dphreak
interesting tow hook wink.gif

user posted image
Quebecer
Good looking bumpers, I think that's the way I'll go as well.

What about those fiberglass bumper tops?

Slight Hijack, concerning the roll bar trim, has anyone simply cut that lip, filled in the holes and not add the trim to the roll bar?

Inquiring minds want to know... biggrin.gif
balljoint
That's on my list of down the road things. Grind down all the flanges on the targa bar and re-weld to delete the trim. Right now though, I just want to drive the car.

jonwatts
QUOTE (Quebecer @ Aug 8 2005, 08:05 AM)
Slight Hijack, concerning the roll bar trim, has anyone simply cut that lip, filled in the holes and not add the trim to the roll bar?

Inquiring minds want to know... biggrin.gif

YES! And there might be pictures of it in the archives somewhere.

There is a guy local to the SF Bay area that did this. He brought his car to both (I believe) SSI Swap Meets a few years ago. The car was some flavor of red and he was running a Volvo throttle body for some reason that escapes me now.

I'll try searching the archives but since we all know how well the search engine works I can't make any promises wink.gif

Jon

CptTripps
I'm sure I can find a better pic, but I opted for 'black' on yellow.

user posted image

user posted image
user posted image
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (balljoint @ Aug 8 2005, 07:11 AM)
That's on my list of down the road things. Grind down all the flanges on the targa bar and re-weld to delete the trim. Right now though, I just want to drive the car.

both race cars at the MWC have done this. I don't have good picture of John's (aka Lurker) car but here is teh other car.

GaroldShaffer
Oh, and your car looks great also smilie_pokal.gif
balljoint
Thanks. That green car looks awesome. Deleting that 70's stylin' trim really really updates the look of these cars, which are already frequently mistaken as new. Cool.
Eric_Shea
Anybody interested in a rear. Freashly primed and ready to paint any color you'd like. It's off a 74. I'll throw it in the classifieds.

E.
Eric_Shea
Picture would be nice... blink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ May 4 2005, 08:33 AM)
Standard car (no appearance group option) in 70 and 71 (not sure about 72) came with body color bumpers, sails and trim around the targa bar.

agree.gif

SirAndy
btw. we had a blue car at the luch meet today that was shipped in standard trim ...

wink.gif Andy
Brent
Here ya go SirAndy....
Brent
from the rear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.