Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Need to ship a car across the country.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
Anyone have a recommendation for a reputable firm to ship a car across the country? I have found a bunch of websites, and gotten quotes but I have read lots of horror stories too. Any help is appreciated.

TIA
GregAmy
I've used Reliable and InterCity satisfactorily. But they're not cheap.

I've also shipped a couple less-critical cars using quotes from UShip and was happy with it. But I suspect service will be inconsistent.

No budget concerns? Pick one of the first ones.
billh1963
Open or enclosed?
KaptKaos
Open is fine.
tygaboy
I agonized over selecting a shipper and after hearing the various horror stories about the brokers, I opted to go with InterCity Lines. Excellent results and a great story!
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=296591

I know others have had luck with all manner of shippers but I wanted to do all I could to work with a "one throat to choke" company, should there have been any problems.

Best of luck with your shipment.
ConeDodger
Call McMark. He ships cars in and out of Original Customs all the time.just shipped a restored early 911 out yesterday...
billh1963
I used Golden Key Express multiple times for open shipping.

Unlike brokers, they actually own their trucks.....makes for a much better experience.

Call or email Holly:
Holly White-Golden Key Express
holly@goldenkeyexpress.com
(559) 299-7288
Unobtanium-inc
Avoid brokers and avoid U-Ship, don't get cheap on transport, that's the easiest advice.

Horror stories here:
https://unobtaniuminc.wordpress.com/2012/02...ng-of-porsches/

And if you want proof not to use U-ship. I sold a C Coupe to a guy, he didn't want to use my shipper, he saved $100 on U-ship. The guy who showed up had a converted motor home, and he had double booked, so he un-loaded someone's furniture, loaded the Porsche, and re-loaded the furniture, ON TOP OF THE CAR!!!!!!!!

SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 7 2017, 07:57 AM) *
Call McMark. He ships cars in and out of Original Customs all the time.just shipped a restored early 911 out yesterday...

agree.gif

He arranged for my car to be shipped cross country, no problems and affordable.
aktion035.gif
Frankvw
I used in USA shipdei.com (Direct Express). I have mixed experiences with them, some good, some really good, but also not so good. Point is that a lot of companies hire external/third parties again, so you do not know what you will end up with.
A single guy company that was recommended I tried using in USA turned out to be a major headache and extra costs on my side.
Next time I would do the same thing you do now..... ask the more experienced forum-members here who they recommend..

GeorgeRud
Great job by Reliable across the country twice. A friend that was just looking found them in line price wise as well. Much depends on the condition of the car you're shipping as a nice car really should go in an enclosed trailer.
Unobtanium-inc
Seriously, if it's a car you care about, call one of the big guys like Intercity.
SKL1
+100 on Reliable. Used them several times for Porsche transport. Did have to wait quite a while for pickup in FLA to IA in the summer because it wasn't the right time of year, otherwise no issues.
Just don't try and ship during auction season in January! You'll be waiting a while... (all the trucks seem to be parked in Scottsdale, etc at that time!)
branston
First time I ever shipped and was nervous, used Montway to ship my 912e no complaints at all, picked up on time.

Clear explanation of process and payment good contact with driver and OR to MI open transport for under $850.

Busy driver pushed for time dropped it off 9pm by arrangement with me.

https://www.montway.com/
boxstr
I have used coast to coast for many years. 1-800-794-9009
Craig at CAMP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.