Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking of selling... Should I try to get the "Hell Hole" repaired first?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
quadracerx
I have 2 914s... One is a tube frame V8 project still underway...

The other is a street 914 1976 2.0 car with cloth seats and Alpine stereo. Has the following issues:

Hell Hole needs to be repaired.

Strong, strong gas smell when driven

Needs both front calipers rebuilt (leaking)

Paint is seriously faded and has other small rust issues

Obviously the "hell hole" is the most serious issue. Who in the great NW can handle that?

I'm considering selling it, BUT should I get the "hell hole" repaired first?

If I don't repair it, based on the above things that need attention; what do you think it would be worth.

How much if I repair the "hell hole"

Thanks for the help...

Steve
sawdust
Think i'd address the strong gas smell before you burn it down.
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Mar 7 2017, 06:49 PM) *

I have 2 914s... One is a tube frame V8 project still underway...

The other is a street 914 1976 2.0 car with cloth seats and Alpine stereo. Has the following issues:

Hell Hole needs to be repaired.

Strong, strong gas smell when driven

Needs both front calipers rebuilt (leaking)

Paint is seriously faded and has other small rust issues

Obviously the "hell hole" is the most serious issue. Who in the great NW can handle that?

I'm considering selling it, BUT should I get the "hell hole" repaired first?

If I don't repair it, based on the above things that need attention; what do you think it would be worth.

How much if I repair the "hell hole"

Thanks for the help...

Steve
Mike Bellis
Sounds like a $500 car as is and a $800 car repaired (California prices). I would not repair it, only to do a sub-par repair just to sell it. The ideal hell hole repair is one that looks factory new. That costs big buck$ to do it right. A shop would want thousands of dollars to fix everything correctly. Once you start digging in, it will be worse than you expect. Sell it and be done.
Chris914n6
A car without problems will attract more buyers, but if you are paying someone to do the repairs you will likely just break even as far as money in the pocket.

If the hell hole really bad then just fixing the little things won't increase the sales price either.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 7 2017, 08:36 PM) *

Sounds like a $500 car as is and a $800 car repaired (California prices). I would not repair it, only to do a sub-par repair just to sell it. The ideal hell hole repair is one that looks factory new. That costs big buck$ to do it right. A shop would want thousands of dollars to fix everything correctly. Once you start digging in, it will be worse than you expect. Sell it and be done.

agree.gif as-is. Let the next person do the repairs.
Rand
A quick repair on the hell hole isn't going to net you more profit after expenses on this car. Just move it if you aren't into it. The cloth seats and Alpine stereo don't add value unless the buyer doesn't know what a hell hole is.
porschetub
av-943.gif av-943.gif agree.gif really not worth going there sad to say....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.