Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New shocks for an original 1976
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Txbentleyboy
Just a newbie here and looking for advice.
porschetub
Boge shocks were original unless other special order,they went Saches and are owned buy the ZF group if I recall correctly.
Front struts are Boge insert type only so you need to buy a insert that suits if its not the same brand,Bilsteins are good and fairly priced for a quality shock/strut but are a firm ride Koni's I know little about in 914 application.
Don't by KYB as they don't have a great rep on any car,I see Pelican sell them and they aren't what I would call cheap for a rather average shock.
The Saches touring are around $135 per wheel front and rear,after that you spent more.
I have used these on other german cars and found them good value
Tom_T
For a street car you can upgrade to either Koni Red Classics or Bilstein, Sport flavor of either will give you a stiffer ride for AX or track + street use, & both make inserts for the front to fit the basic Boge struts, & their rears just swap in more or less.

For street use Boge makes a Sport or HD flavor which is a bit firmer & better handling than the old school OE street shocks, but they're pretty close in price to top of the line Koni & Bilstein, so why bother?

I agree about KYBs, as they seem to handle more like KY ... slippery & sloppy - so IMHO don't go there. shades.gif

I prefer my old school Koni Reds, but everyone has their personal favs.

Try grabbing a ride in other folks 914s with the different ones to see what you like best.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
It's actually Bilstein that makes HD or sport. Sport is very firm, most people like HD for a street car. Boge/Sachs if you are on a budget - very good but not great like a bilstein. Bilsteins are usually 50% more than Boges. Killer prices on Amazon. KYB's are junk. Koni's have always been a great choice. You also want to do rear springs. 100# are nice for a street car, 140# if you like a much firmer ride.
iamchappy
Konis front Bilsteins rear...dont know why but it just works best..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.