Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: drilled door handles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ablesnead
I saw a photo a couple of years ago or so , of some door handles drilled with a nice look I liked...search didn't help me...anybody out there know how to find the photo
snakemain
Random drilled door handle pic from a car show.

Click to view attachment
Rand
Because that much weight matters? I never got it. Especially when they look as crappy as that pic. Why not drill holes in the body too? wacko.gif
But there are some famous cars with that treatment, so be it.
jmitro
I think it looks kinda cool if done right, but I wouldn't do it on my car, personally
mepstein
Yuck
Larmo63
It looks like a shotgun blast.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 7 2017, 11:59 PM) *

Because that much weight matters? I never got it. Especially when they look as crappy as that pic. Why not drill holes in the body too? wacko.gif

Jeff Hines has some good examples.

It's historically correct.
URY914
Take a weak pot metal piece of shit casting and drill holes in it. No problems here. confused24.gif
rhodyguy
Rendering the value to 0.
Front yard mechanic
Looks good to me just needs some dried cheese hanging out of the holes pain30.gif
My 914
There are too many holes for that small part.
VaccaRabite
I wouldn't.
I agree with Ury. Drilling holes in pot metal like that is asking for a broken door handle some day while its pouring out and you are rushing to get into your car.

Or broken while s murderer is chasing you and your call is the only source of safety.

Zach
brant
I would think the handle would fail very quickly if used.
I imagine when this is done on a race car, the handle is likely never used... likely the inside latch or pins are used exclusively making the handle decorative.

that's the only way I think it could hold up

I didn't do it and couldn't see it working out well
b
PeeGreen 914
This was done on the original Meaney 914-6gt.
iwanta914-6
Here's Magnus Walker's version.

Click to view attachment
dakotaewing
Has anyone looked at the costs of having repo door handles made from billet aluminum?
Could the handles possibly be sand cast as well?
I know that while not a truly rare item at this time, they are still hard to find in good shape -
rhodyguy
Owners stand to improve the hp to weight ratio by going on a diet. 3 or 4 grams of pot metal doesn't mean shit.
sechszylinder
Besides looking racy and important it make no sense to drill some holes into these pricey door handles.
Instead I would recommend to personally save some weight before going to the track. shades.gif
Benno
ablesnead
Give me a break !!! I am six three with a 31 inch waist and a six pack , all you butter balls telling me to lose weight !....I don't care for the one in the first photo , but several years ago I saw one with a nice pattern ....oh yeah , the running from a mugger thing....seriously ?....Guys that tried to help , thanks , I'm still hoping the right photo shows up.....And Brant , I am trying to drill as many holes as you did...only using less metal....need to make my Brant holes were I can biggrin.gif
peteyd
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Mar 8 2017, 08:50 AM) *

Has anyone looked at the costs of having repo door handles made from billet aluminum?
I know that while not a truly rare item at this time, they are still hard to find in good shape -

Porsche makes them as well as Sierra Madre. I dont know the quality on either though.

Pete
brant
duplicate post
brant
QUOTE(ablesnead @ Mar 8 2017, 12:50 PM) *

Give me a break !!! I am six three with a 31 inch waist and a six pack , all you butter balls telling me to lose weight !....I don't care for the one in the first photo , but several years ago I saw one with a nice pattern ....oh yeah , the running from a mugger thing....seriously ?....Guys that tried to help , thanks , I'm still hoping the right photo shows up.....And Brant , I am trying to drill as many holes as you did...only using less metal....need to make my Brant holes were I can biggrin.gif

Holes are good!

I'm hoping to loose another 30lbs of car weight yet this spring
I should be able to get into the 1799lb range wet (I hope)
Rand
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 7 2017, 09:55 PM) *

Because Ralph? When history is fugly and useless. biggrin.gif Let's please stop the "just because" thinking. This mystifies me. Why did he do it? I respect Ralph, but this shouldn't be a thing. Or please convince me how else this makes sense? I'm open minded, sell me.
dansvan
You like the color red? Or blue? Like Fuchs or Mahles? Prefer a Gt valence or normal, stock ride height or lowered? Its all personal taste. Get over it. If the owner like holes in his parts and thinks it looks cool, it makes him happy. Who cares what anyone else thinks. And why would anyone so adamantly voice their dislike? Its freedom of expression. As soon as you start asking why, and criticizing, its over. Sure it may not be for you. Sure it may not be mainstream or "accepted" in the "inner" circle. It may piss off the purists. who cares? Its holes!
mepstein
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 8 2017, 04:03 PM) *

Because Ralph? When history is fugly and useless. biggrin.gif Let's please stop the "just because" thinking. This mystifies me. Why did he do it? I respect Ralph, but this shouldn't be a thing. Or please convince me how else this makes sense? I'm open minded, sell me.

You asked a question and got an answer. Rob wasn't defending it or forcing it on you. History is sometimes - just because.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(dansvan @ Mar 8 2017, 04:51 PM) *

You like the color red? Or blue? Like Fuchs or Mahles? Prefer a Gt valence or normal, stock ride height or lowered? Its all personal taste. Get over it. If the owner like holes in his parts and thinks it looks cool, it makes him happy. Who cares what anyone else thinks. And why would anyone so adamantly voice their dislike? Its freedom of expression. As soon as you start asking why, and criticizing, its over. Sure it may not be for you. Sure it may not be mainstream or "accepted" in the "inner" circle. It may piss off the purists. who cares? Its holes!

Nice first post. Reminds me of someone who "used" to post around here. Don't miss him at all.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 8 2017, 06:03 PM) *

Pretty simple really. Because it's mine, I want to, and it's not your car to decide...
Mueller
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Mar 8 2017, 08:42 AM) *

Click to view attachment

^I like that one, not overly done.
ConeDodger
Kind of a bad picture but I believe this is Jeff Hines car...
ConeDodger
Couple more. Hope that helps...
Rand
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 8 2017, 02:34 PM) *

Pretty simple really. Because it's mine, I want to, and it's not your car to decide...

Totally fair. None of my replies were meant to pick on you, Rob. smile.gif
It's also ok that I'm baffled by this mod and am curious what the point of it is.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 8 2017, 08:51 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 8 2017, 02:34 PM) *

Totally fair. None of my replies were meant to pick on you, Rob. smile.gif
It's also ok that I'm baffled by this mod and am curious what the point of it is.

It's a fair question. I want to build a period correct GT with detail elements. I could easily have not put the mechanical headlight pulls eliminating the motors but I did because it is one of the details. Lots of ways to put an oil cooler on, but I used the replica shrouding right down to the same Setrab cooler. Carbon fiber deck lids were the same price as the fiberglass with balsa that were on the original GT's, I went with the fiberglass. I want mine to be a tribute to the efforts those guys put in back in the day. I'm not trying to fool anyone in to thinking it's real. I just want realistic and this is one of those period correct elements.
Rsjg911
Since Magnus Walker was mentioned in earlier post, here's a photo of my wife and I with him at the DRT Porsche show in Miami two weeks ago. His cars are amazing and he was so giving of his time for photo ops. Great guy! pray.gif
ablesnead
I've got fiberglass ,carbon fiber and a 13b rotary....my dream is sub 1800 lbs , we will see...between one year of the 24 hours of Daytona and the next My 911 lost eleven pounds....paying attention to grams , my friend Mel's car , a Camaro gained 56 .....both of use just adding brackets , mounts and such....old racer speak...grams is ounces, ounces is pounds , pounds is speed....
URY914
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Mar 8 2017, 09:50 AM) *

Your ROI will take you years to earn back. Making a custom piece for CSOB 914 owners is not a way to earn money. I was working with a guy that had a contact in China that was going to cast them for me. The numbers just didn't work.
My 914
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Mar 8 2017, 11:42 AM) *

Click to view attachment

If I were to replace my door handles, I would replace them with these.
Front yard mechanic
Sometimes I use the big holes for pizza cheese some times I use the small holes for tacos
mbseto
When I worked for a jet engine company, there were some programs where if you could figure out a way to shave some grams off a part, you could get a cash bonus. End goal was to drop more than a hundred pounds, and was eventually reached.
mepstein
Reminds me of the early 80's.
7TPorsh
Seems silly to drill out the handles and still keep the lock in there....
Mueller
Some of those look like they didn't bother to take the handle off the car to drill them, how difficult to remove handle assembly (seriously, i don't think I've ever taken them off or apart before)

Might have to take mine off this weekend and throw mine on the mill smile.gif
914 Ranch
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 9 2017, 04:42 PM) *

Some of those look like they didn't bother to take the handle off the car to drill them, how difficult to remove handle assembly (seriously, i don't think I've ever taken them off or apart before)

Might have to take mine off this weekend and throw mine on the mill smile.gif

I want see what Mike does with them...

Joe Sharp
Team NARP

RickS
The pic of the drilled out chain rings reminds me of the mania to reduce weight on racing bikes before carbon fiber and aluminum. Back in the day, a fellow cyclist said looking at a Swiss cheesed bike, If the guy took a big dump before the race he would reduce more weight than that.
ConeDodger
Mine, drilled last weekend. It wasn’t easy. They certainly don’t seem any weaker. I’m seldom in mugger murderer neighborhood, my car hasn’t seen rain in years. Oh, and that is one of the dumbest things I’ve heard here! blink.gif

By the way, it’s a total of 3/4# side to side. I don’t know why Ralph and team did it. I just know that they did.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.