Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Injectors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
beemie96
1971 1.7

I have an injector that is leaking gas. I've double checked the fuel lines, so i'm pretty sure it's the injector. So, I don't want to pay ~200 for a new one... I have a number of 'extra' ones lying around, but i'm not sure they even work.

Any easy way to test them? I heard something about a 9v battery method... what do I look for there? Otherwise I'll have to hook them all up and start the car... see if they spit fuel... but that can get messy.

Now, if I do in fact need a new one, and I want to hunt evilbay / etc, what other cars used the same injectors?

Thanks!
r_towle
First off the whole set of injectors only costs $135.00

That is 34 per piece.

What I would do is take them all out, soak them in a good quality FI cleaner...I use the whole bottle and leave them overnight fully imersed.

Then, take them out and put them all back in the the fule harness, but do not put any of them into the intake manifold.

I put them all into seperate glass jars (I use baby food jars)

Take the coil wire off and turn the motor over for about 30-45 seconds.

Then I measure the volume of fuel in each jar...

If that passes, you might have a rubber fuel line leak...I mean the line that goes from the injector to the rail..
The original injectors have than line held on to the injector with a compressed fitting...

Remove that hose and attach a new hose with a hose clamp and that shouldfix that leak.

Good luck.

Rich
echocanyons
Rich, please tell us your source for the injectors

Cheapest new injectors I have found for the 1.7 are 70-80bucks a piece.

At 34$ I can afford to buy some spares.
freezing14
hey at 34$ i want some spare too, tell us where,, flaps,, china???
TravisNeff
They can also leak between the plastic harness connector and the injector itself, gotta toss those ones.
bondo
QUOTE (r_towle @ May 4 2005, 11:55 AM)
First off the whole set of injectors only costs $135.00

That is 34 per piece.

What I would do is take them all out, soak them in a good quality FI cleaner...I use the whole bottle and leave them overnight fully imersed.

Then, take them out and put them all back in the the fule harness, but do not put any of them into the intake manifold.

I put them all into seperate glass jars (I use baby food jars)

Take the coil wire off and turn the motor over for about 30-45 seconds.

Then I measure the volume of fuel in each jar...

If that passes, you might have a rubber fuel line leak...I mean the line that goes from the injector to the rail..
The original injectors have than line held on to the injector with a compressed fitting...

Remove that hose and attach a new hose with a hose clamp and that shouldfix that leak.

Good luck.

Rich

When you do this, make sure you disconnect the low voltage side of the coil, not the high voltage wire going to the distributor. If you just disconnect the high voltage wire, the coil is still generating high voltage and a spark CAN jump right out of the end of the coil to one of the terminals (I've seen it happen). A big fat spark is a bad thing to have around a bunch of sprayed fuel. smile.gif
echocanyons
The vw 411/42 CARS USE THE SAME d-jet and likely the same injectors.
beemie96
I'm pretty sure Mine is leaking at the plastic harness connector. All new fuel line and connectors already, and I double checked the tightness of the clamps and the lines. It actually looks like fuel is leaking from the seam between the yellow top and the body.

Even $70. I'd go buy one. Can I get that locally? Is there a specific part number I could ask for, or do I need to just take one of the injectors to my FLAPS and match it up?

Online : $135 @ pelican , $210! AA

where else can i look?
Joe Bob
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=D+Jet...+Fuel+Injectors

Do a Google....
beemie96
Well, of course I googled, MSN'd, froogled, and more. A little too much information coming back, and I hadn't found anything less than the 135 at PP. Thanks, though.
beemie96
okay... i take that back... unsure.gif i did all those searches, but your query brought back better answers.

anyone know 'Direct Auto'? URL:

http://store.yahoo.com/dpstore/fuel-inject...914-series.html

I may order a couple of them from here.
echocanyons
They are rebuilt but not a bad deal
Marlow
I stumbled across DirectAuto yesterday, they sell "rebuilt" injectors. I would find out what was done to "rebuild" them cause there isn't a whole lot you can do to them (change screen, clean, and see if they work?). They claim a lifetime warranty -- but many people have had mixed results with "rebuilt" injectors.
Cap'n Krusty
VW T3 used 'em, and T4. Rebuilt injectors, which have tempted me more than once over the last 32 years of 914 wrenching, could be called "junk" if only they were that good. I'd avoid them like rust ....................... Save your money, go with new. The Cap'n
beemie96
I stumbled across DirectAuto yesterday, they sell "rebuilt" injectors. I would find out what was done to "rebuild" them cause there isn't a whole lot you can do to them (change screen, clean, and see if they work?). They claim a lifetime warranty -- but many people have had mixed results with "rebuilt" injectors.

So... if I have three injectors that don't work, could I attempt to 'rebuild' them? or do you need special tools to take them apart?

Steve Thacker
I guessed on the year of your car "didn't read all of your post", although they should be close in price. I used the Sorensen brand in my 73 2.0 . They are a great replacement and work great.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.as...r=Fuel+Injector

My Vehicle: 1972 PORSCHE 914 H4 1.7 L...

My ZIP Code: 43228

Fuel Injector

For vehicle: 1972 PORSCHE 914 H4 1.7 Liter FI (change)
4 parts found.

Description Availability * Price Buy

GP Sorensen 8001108N See image and details for this item
OE #0280150009; Multi-Port Injection
1 Year Replacement Warranty
Ships in 1 day
Weight: 0.3 lbs.
$69.88

Niehoff Ignition 27517
Fuel Injector, Remanufactured: Seal Kit Required; D-Jetronic
3 Month Limited Warranty
Ships in 5 days
Weight: 2 lbs.
$55.99
$5.00 core

Niehoff Ignition 57517
Fuel Injector, New: Seal Kit Required; D-Jetronic; O.E. No. 022 906 031A
3 Month Limited Warranty
Ships in 5 days
$79.99

Python Injection Inc. 633135
Fuel Injector: D-Jet
1 Year Limited Warranty
Ships in 5 days
$54.99
$12.00 core
beemie96
Okay, I ordered one of the Sorenson injectors. I'll let everyone know how that works!

Thanks all!
echocanyons
I know the pythons are rebuilds and it looks ike the neihoffs are offered new or rebuilt.

It doesnt state if the sorensons are rebuilt or not.

Does anyone know?
echocanyons
Beemie what was the reason you ordered the sorenson over the neihoff?
Mueller
QUOTE (echocanyons @ May 5 2005, 01:16 PM)
I know the pythons are rebuilds and it looks ike the neihoffs are offered new or rebuilt.

It doesnt state if the sorensons are rebuilt or not.

Does anyone know?

I'm pretty sure the Sorensens are brand new
tracks914
Here is what is inside them. Nothing to rebuild.
There are several other threads on this topic. They include the fire hazards and such but the best article is here.Kjell's D-Jet Mtce
It is a must read for anyone doing FI work.
tracks914
nuther 1
beemie96
Beemie what was the reason you ordered the sorenson over the neihoff?

didn't want to deal with a core charge... and figured new would be better than a rebuild... and Steve said the Sorenson worked for him in the past...
echocanyons
That makes sense.
Please let us know your experiences with the sorenson injectors
Steve Thacker
I still and will always run the Sorenson's (three years now). They are a great direct replacement for the Bosch. Never have had one problem out of them.
beemie96
Okay, I swapped the leaky injector for the Sorensen, and it seems to work just fine. No leaks so far!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.