Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Classic Family Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Justinp71

Hello all,
I am thinking of buying a classic family car that is in good shape, less than $20k, will rise in value and is cheap to maintain (likely a chevy).

I know all you guys are car nuts and have other cars too smile.gif, I was thinking about a 1940 chevy... Anyone have any suggestions?

ConeDodger
Justin,
Do up a 1960's Chevy before they're all gone...
r_towle
This
r_towle
Or this
BigFour1973
You can swap in an LS and still come in under budget.
tygaboy
I'll sell you this...
'62 Rambler American. All redone mechanicals. So much fun and EVERYONE smiles.
Rand
A 510 wagon with an LS.... exclusesss me while i wipe the drool
Elliot Cannon
My Dad bought one of these brand new in 1953. We drove it from Pittsburgh to LA and back. That's when Dad decided we would move to California. Dad was a mail carrier. smile.gif I know were one is located but doubt it is for sale.
IronHillRestorations
56 Ford Parklane is a cool old wagon, but may be tough to find one in the price range.

dlkawashima
I don't know if it will ever go up value but an early 70's BMW Bavaria is a relative bargain ... if you can find one for sale.

Here's one in Walnut Creek ... $7K. No mention if it has air conditioning (but BMW a/c back in the day was pretty weak).

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6031031563.html

IPB Image
Coondog
Visit the next Mecum auction on the first day. You will find lots of cars selling for less then 20K. Better to up your budget a little.
Porschef
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 8 2017, 10:18 PM) *

A 510 wagon with an LS.... exclusesss me while i wipe the drool

agree.gif

Radio Flyer...that's great!
mangrum
Cool car! Brings back memories.

I had a '68 in the early '70s, not a convertible. Basic transportation.

My wife had a Gremlin. We joked it would get stuck on wet pavement. Absolutely no weight in the rear. Her parents had a Matador wagon. My sister had a Pacer, the upside-down fish bowl car.

I never owned one but really liked the AMX.

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 8 2017, 10:04 PM) *

I'll sell you this...
'62 Rambler American. All redone mechanicals. So much fun and EVERYONE smiles.

VaccaRabite
Family car?
BMW 2002 or BMW 2000C or 2000SC.

Second Gen Corvair.

Still fun to drive, but seats more then 2 people. This was exactly why I bought a BMW 2002.

Zach
billh1963
Cheap to maintain?

Older Volvo 140 series or similar

Older Mercedes W123 series (like a 300 TD)

1960's Ford Galaxy

Andyrew
Whatever you get, get a 4 door. Ford or Chevy (Pick your poison)

The values are low enough that you can get someone's fully restored project for 15k.

I'd say something from 1940-60 will be your best bet. Try and find something that someone put a modern engine in, or make sure it at least has A/C and heat.

Something like this.

https://stockton.craigslist.org/cto/6014061305.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/6030475625.html

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5994405487.html

Your best bet is to go to swap meets and check out the for sale area's. Walk around to you find something you like in your price range and call the number. They always have room to negotiate. Reno has them, Patterson has them, Turlock has them, Im sure sacramento has them.

Here is one this weekend
https://modesto.craigslist.org/pts/6030109190.html
Unobtanium-inc
I think the Mustang's are undervalued, especially the early 70s ones. I just worked a 65 Fastback into the collection.
It's amazing that once you step away from Porsches for a minute your money goes soooo much farther, it's like buying lunch in a 3rd world country.
Jett
I have an old chevy grocery getter... Four doors and a supercharger smile.gifClick to view attachment
billh1963
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 9 2017, 11:11 AM) *

I think the Mustang's are undervalued, especially the early 70s ones. I just worked a 65 Fastback into the collection.
It's amazing that once you step away from Porsches for a minute your money goes soooo much farther, it's like buying lunch in a 3rd world country.

So very true. In the 911 world a decent stock engine rebuild starts around $12-15K.

In other marques, you can buy a super nice car needing nothing for that kind of money! smile.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 8 2017, 05:04 PM) *

Justin,
Do up a 1960's Chevy before they're all gone...

agree.gif Justin, plus ....

Well really any of the nicer 60's & early 70's GM, Ford/Merc/Lincoln, & Chrysler/et al cars, & some can be found with the optional front disc brakes (esp. late 60's>).

If it's a family car, then you could look at the 4 doors (4dr hardtops look like coupes without the B-pillar) & wagons & SUVs - since the convertibles & 2-dr coupes & any limited production hot model will be pretty high priced now. driving.gif driving-girl.gif

My 2nd car was Dad's old 69 Pontiac Ventura 4dr Hardtop with the front discs, 400cid with 2 bbl carb & AT - "The Boat."

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
> Mine looked like this, but in dark green metallic with a lighter green Landau Top & same gold interior as this one (Mom loved Greer).

But be aware the the mpg is from the days of 25 cent a gallon gas, so even my Pontiac only got 7-10 mpg, which was why I got my 914 in 1975 & sold it - after the first oil crisis sent gas over a dollar a gallon!

There's also then the choice for later Euro & other foreign classics which opens up after 25 years - so maybe a nice Euro M535, etc.?? confused24.gif

The searching is half the fun! smile.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
DRPHIL914
This was my uncle's car- '65 ford Galaxy 500 - big V8 motor, car is all original and inside is mint since they never had kids, I remember riding in this when I was very little, Uncle Marv passed away a couple years ago at 97, he was the original owner and gave it to my mom who doesn't have room for it and wants it gone! so its coming to SC this summer!! great family cruiser but if I could choose I would pick one of those cool wagons from the 50's or early 60's.

good luck with your hunt!
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 9 2017, 08:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 9 2017, 11:11 AM) *

So very true. In the 911 world a decent stock engine rebuild starts around $12-15K.

In other marques, you can buy a super nice car needing nothing for that kind of money! smile.gif

Exact numbers I'm talking about. I paid $10,000 for the Stang and it cost me $3200 to get it fully operational. How far would $13,000 get me in Porsche land? Considering I spent $7000 on a Rudge wheel last week, not far.
billh1963
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 9 2017, 12:21 PM) *

Exact numbers I'm talking about. I paid $10,000 for the Stang and it cost me $3200 to get it fully operational. How far would $13,000 get me in Porsche land? Considering I spent $7000 on a Rudge wheel last week, not far.

Sometimes I look at how much money is flowing into my 911's and I feel like slapping myself. It's easy to get caught in a bubble where Porsche prices skew your perception of reality.

$7K for one old wheel or $7K for a low mileage Boxster?

Sometime I wonder what we're thinking? lol-2.gif

DrinkMan
Couple of off-the-wall ideas:

Alfa Romeo Giulia: Example of Reasonably Priced Giulia

IPB Image

Checker Marathon
IPB Image
Chris914n6
I know where you can find a 4 door 914 poke.gif
Rand
The limo must not be forgotten...
JoeDees
The limo shall live on!!!

But regarding the original post: Early 60s Lincoln Continental with the suicide doors. I've wanted one for years and I'm convinced they're about to spike in value.

My other dream is a 1946 Nash-my grandpa's old car.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(JoeDees @ Mar 9 2017, 02:56 PM) *

But regarding the original post: Early 60s Lincoln Continental with the suicide doors. I've wanted one for years and I'm convinced they're about to spike in value.

About to?

They have been increasing in value for some time.
Zach
struckn
Trucks are better they haul everything, get a family Truck!

IPB Image
McLovin

How big of a family? An early Toyota Corolla would be cool. I always thought early Mercedes Station Wagons were cool.
Shadowfax
The Ford Parklane reminds me a little of a Chevy Nomad.
boxstr
This is a cute little mordor thingy.
Craig at CAMP
DRPHIL914
http://www.cars-on-line.com/82974.html
sb914
Click to view attachment
mangrum
If by family car you mean your family will be driving/riding in it, then safety should be considered. Doing a quick Google search on "safest vintage cars" brings up some lists. One of the first ones that come up is Top 10: Safest family classics from http://classics.honestjohn.co.uk. It's a UK site so many of the cars are only in that market, but one they mention is the Mercedes W124. Mercedes tends to be ahead of the curve on safety and you should be able to find a really nice one within your budget. It may not be officially a classic but it does come with classic Mercedes styling and German engineering.

Good luck with your search.

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 8 2017, 07:20 PM) *

Hello all,
I am thinking of buying a classic family car that is in good shape, less than $20k, will rise in value and is cheap to maintain (likely a chevy).

I know all you guys are car nuts and have other cars too smile.gif, I was thinking about a 1940 chevy... Anyone have any suggestions?
Justinp71

Wow, thanks guys! I knew you'd have some great ideas. To answer some questions, its a family of 4 and it would just be an occasional weekend cruiser. We have an suv for the heavy lifting. Just something that looks cool and we could drive to a low-key carshow and would hold its value (or hopefully go up). I am very familiar with chevy's as I've had quite a few in the past. But down for anything that is simple and cheap.

Justinp71
QUOTE(Jett @ Mar 9 2017, 08:13 AM) *

I have an old chevy grocery getter... Four doors and a supercharger smile.gif Click to view attachment

Wow, that is awesome!
beech4rd
The car that refuses to die. Mercedes-Benz 300 D Turbo

Click to view attachment
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(beech4rd @ Mar 10 2017, 11:40 AM) *

The car that refuses to die. Mercedes-Benz 300 D Turbo

Click to view attachment

I remember trying to catch a Dino with my dad one time on the highway in a 240D, he was building a kit at the time and wanted to see a real one, needless to say we didn't catch it...
Just to make this more on topic, it's built on a 914.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(boxstr @ Mar 9 2017, 07:58 PM) *

This is a cute little mordor thingy.
Craig at CAMP

I call and raise. aktion035.gif

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/6022249253.html

IPB Image
amfab
My 64 IH Travelall

Ignition is on the drivers side so if you have a six it eliminates confusion

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.