Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: clutch cable install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
theleschyouknow
finally getting around to reinstalling my clutch cable after a broken clevis at the pedal end
same cable & i didn't move the 2 lock nuts at the release lever end and replaced the clevis back to the same spot on the pedal end
so i figured i could just put it together pull the trunion block over to the realease lever and be good to go ... not so fast
trying it that way if i get the trunion in the realease lever i can't get the ferrule at the end of the cable sheath to go into the slot on the pulley bracket and if i leave the ferule in the slot i can't get the trunion to the release lever
in both cases i can move the release lever (by hand) about half to three quarters of an inch but just short of enough to get either the trunion or the ferule to seat where they're supposed to
so the initial seemingly obvious solution is i need to loosen the lock nuts at the trunion end enough to get the clearance then re-tighten to the previous
school me on how this works - can i just not move the release lever because i don't have enough strength in my hands to overcome the resistance of the diaphragm fingers but the mechanical advantage of the clutch lever and the strength of my leg does?
don't want to f anything up if i can help it TIA

beerchug.gif
cjl
GeorgeRud
Check that the cable is still properly seated at the firewall. Is the clevis the same size as the original broken one? I'd attach the pedal end of the cable, be sure it's properly seated, and remove the trunion then reattach to the clutch release arm and adjust the clutch as described in the manuals (so you have some free play at the top and the clutch releases totally when shifting into reverse.
jcd914
Unless you are a super hero you won't be able to move the clutch throw out lever by hand. The pressure plate diaphragm spring requires a lot of force to depress.

Take your adjustment nuts loose and to get the trunion onto the throw out lever and readjust your free play after.
Jim
ndfrigi
just wondering if you tried to hold the clutch pedal up (a 2nd hand to help or put something under the pedal) so the end cable by the transmisison is enough for you to put it in the clutch fork and screw the nut?
porschetub
My cable and clevis were rubbish ,replaced both but still not happy found this ;
Click to view attachment
I vee'd out the hole which by the way was around 8mm and sloted,welded in a piece of rod and redrilled it to the right clevis size,much improved.
I still found my replacement cable was too long...new clutch ,unmachined flywheel and all parts relevant replaced.
I did cut around 12mm of the pedal end of the cable and that got me in the middle of the adjustment at the gearbox end.
theleschyouknow
thanks guys
that's pretty much what i figured -loosening trunion adjust nuts attach and re-adjust
i have been researching and seems to be a lot of cable adjustment issues following install so was trying to just put it back where it all was
i will try to tighten it back up to where it was but can someone point out a good adjustment thread or break it down i have searched but haven't come up with a good one

nd- i did prop the pedal all the way forward with a screwdriver, still short by a quarter to 3/8s an inch

beerchug.gif
cjl
Larmo63
The newer clutch cables seem like they are too long. I had to screw the cable quite a ways in to the clevis at the pedal to get proper adjustment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.