Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 911 ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TROJANMAN
i am kind of interested in a tail dragger. i found the following and was wondering if a) it was a good buy and cool.gif if this is something i'll be happy with.

76 Targa 2.7 CIS
needs top end rebuild ( it may have bent valves )
everything else is quite nice.

i was always partial to this model. i think it is because it was the porsche i always thought i wanted when i was growing up.

$6k?
sixnotfour
For 6k Targa and needing top end it better be really Nice.

I just bought a 75 coupe runs great seats need work , AC works good , mostly original paint, stared at 5500. I bought it for 3200. Was in the Seattle Times big newspaper.

Bent valves : Needs tensioner kit too.
Missed shift bent vales driven poorly.
tat2dphreak
sounds more like 10k really, after rebuild...

same rules with 914 applies... buy the nicest you can afford...
brant
If you want to spend 11 or so..
I can hook you up with my old 1983 SC.
very nice interior, paint, and mechanicals.

brant
TROJANMAN
thanks brant, but unless it's a targa........
Joe Bob
Offer him 5K if it's REALLY nice and drop a 3.6 in it. You will be miles ahead...the cost of a good used 3.6 is about what a 2.7 rebuild is gonna cost.

Go to www.instant-g.com and talk with Steve Timmins. He does the conversion and sends yopu a "crate" motor that you just bolt in and run the electricals....
lapuwali
The '75 to '77 911s all had thermal reactors in place of the catalytic convertors that appeared on the first SCs. These wonderful devices burnt up the engines in short order. If you still need to smog the car in CO, then I'd pass on any car in that age range. If you don't, then you can replace the reactors with earlier heat exchangers, and rebuild the engine properly and competely (will run you about $10-12K). The 2.7s really stretched the mag cases to their limits, and the reactors just pushed it over the edge. The SC is vastly more reliable (200-250K engines), and you could probably find a nice one for less than the $17-18K this one will cost you to before you have a nice car.

btw, MikeZ will tell you that buying a 911 will make your winky smaller...

TROJANMAN
thanks. that's the kind of feed back i was looking for. i think i will pass on this one. besides i've only had the 914 back in MY garage for 4 days now.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (lapuwali @ May 4 2005, 12:34 PM)
The '75 to '77 911s all had thermal reactors in place of the catalytic convertors that appeared on the first SCs. These wonderful devices burnt up the engines in short order. If you still need to smog the car in CO, then I'd pass on any car in that age range. If you don't, then you can replace the reactors with earlier heat exchangers, and rebuild the engine properly and competely (will run you about $10-12K). The 2.7s really stretched the mag cases to their limits, and the reactors just pushed it over the edge. The SC is vastly more reliable (200-250K engines), and you could probably find a nice one for less than the $17-18K this one will cost you to before you have a nice car.

Nice guy.... blink.gif

Times of no sex with a Porsche is better than sex w/o a Porsche....tiny it maybe....but boy is it W I D E....
tat2dphreak
QUOTE ("Z" @ May 4 2005, 03:40 PM)
QUOTE (lapuwali @ May 4 2005, 12:34 PM)

Nice guy.... blink.gif

Times of no sex with a Porsche is better than sex w/o a Porsche....tiny it maybe....but boy is it W I D E....

.... so the girl says "who you think you'll please with THAT little thing?!"

..... "me"
RAR
Lapuwali has it right as do several others. The 2.7 year is the one to avoid unless it's almost free. The reliability of the SCs (as already stated) and on up, makes this decision an easy one.
brp914
I got a '77. Threw a 3.0 in it. I dont know if you've driven one before, so I'll describe it. The power is decent, so you'll get over mtns easy enough. The ride is rather plush and the seats are more supportive than 914. They have very good brakes compared to 914, even 914-6. There is room for stuff behind the seats. The sound of the engine is rather muted. All these things make the 911 good for weekend trips. If you gotta hear wonderful -6 sounds, get a 914, but in that case it can be a bit much for long drives, which few do anymore. Handling is good, maybe not as good as 914 in spite of better rubber. The wheel jerks hard in your hands during hard cornering. Gas mileage is low 20's. I got the targa, but regret it. Too much wind noise, plus finding a good place to re-cover/rebuild them. The last place sort of botched mine. CIS is a big pile of spagetti. Fortunately, nothings gone wrong with mine, but it seems to me any serious work on it means the engine is coming out. Get a pop off valve. I got the 911 10 years ago to replace my 914-4, but somehow the 914 is still here and gets much more use. Most of my driving is errands and jaunts, for which the 914 is better suited. fwiw.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.