Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash cap and vinyl replacment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NJTom
I'm coming down the home stretch and getting around to misc odds and ends. I needed both new vinyl and dash cap. Both purchased from my new best friends 914Rubber. Has anyone done both the cap and vinyl and offer some advice? I'm a little leery of gluing anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
mepstein
I think there are a couple articles on both. Use painters tape and paper or plastic to mask off the area that doesn't get glue. Be patient and take your time on the dash pad. If you get frustrated, take a break and walk away. Get a small pen light or similar so you can see the studs while you are working the nuts off and on.
Pursang
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 9 2017, 11:26 AM) *

If you get frustrated, take a break and walk away.

Excellent advice. Did my dash pad years ago and still remember the experience of tightening those friggen nylon nuts on the studs near the A pillars using just two fingertips and turning a flat at a time. Should be easier if your car is disassembled but don't be afraid to take your time.
GaroldShaffer
It looks like you have the wiper stuff removed from under the cowl, yes? Then if it were me I would just pull the metal dash frame from the car. That way you can get a good wrap around the frame in the vent areas and such. Yes it can be a PITA to pull the frame I know, but it may be a little less of a headache then trying to do it with the dash frame installed. confused24.gif
Alphaogre
I pulled the entire metal dash portion, its easier to pull out then the padded section, in my opinion, at least all bolts are facing the same way and are visible. biggrin.gif

It will be 10X easier and have a much better chance in looking good if you pull that metal dash section out.
Mikey914
Agreed if you can do it with the dash section out, much easier.
NJTom
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 9 2017, 11:26 AM) *

I think there are a couple articles on both. Use painters tape and paper or plastic to mask off the area that doesn't get glue. Be patient and take your time on the dash pad. If you get frustrated, take a break and walk away. Get a small pen light or similar so you can see the studs while you are working the nuts off and on.

Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.