Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sheet metal under the battery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mtndawg
It looks like there's 2 layers of sheet metal in the area that typically rusts under the battery? My top layer started rusting through, but the layer underneath appears to be in good shape. How do you cut the top layer without damaging the layer below? Careful cutting with the grinding wheel?
mgphoto
Yes, I see you are using the right tool in the photo.
Using a small air tool or battery powered might give you better access.
Mike
bretth
For areas like this i use my dremmel sized tool with the small cutting wheels. Get lots of them because they break easy but they can cut pretty quick if you are careful with them.
dakotaewing
agree.gif
Electric Powered Dremel or Harbor Freight equivalent.
Wheels are typically no larger in diameter than 1.25 inches.
Buy a pack of 25 or 50. You will want a few extras of the attachment as well.
Harbor freight is your friend for these...
Please wear COMPLETE eye protection, goggles, not glasses.
It sucks to get the dust from the wheels in your eyes...
Additionally, you will want a flapper wheel for the grinder in the picture.
40, 60, and maybe 80 grit.
Fastest way the the world to get rid of surface rust.
aggiezig
Just did this on my car, actually. I did not know prior to cutting that there were two layers here, so I cut through both when I sliced out the rust. I probably could have left the bottom layer, but oh well.

What I ended up doing was to re-make the double / lower piece, flange it, and weld it in place. This means that essentially it's "tripled" where I flanged the replacement piece. Probably not the perfect solution but I couldn't think of a better way to do it without compromising the strength of the welds. Here are some pics:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Since you haven't cut yet, you can probably try to carefully slice through just the top layer. If you nick the bottom piece, I'd probably want to fill it back in with weld to keep the original strength. Probably overkill, but just my $0.02.
mtndawg
This is exactly the help I was looking for. Thanks everyone.
6freak
that engine shelf is spot welded in clean paint off and drill welds out and use a very litter grinding wheels as mentioned...good luck smile.gif
mgphoto
My tool of choice for removing rust and paint.

Wurth DBS 3600

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.