Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine lid/grate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fiberglass1inc
Anybody know if there is a way to adjust the engine bay lid/grate (fore and aft adjustment)? Mine hits the rear trunk on one side but the attachment bolt appears to be just in a hole without an adjustment slot. sad.gif
mgphoto
A lot of guys make the hole a slot, makes it easier to put the lid back on when working on the engine.
Cut the hole through the end of the bracket, leave the nuts loose on the studs and slip the brackets between the nut and stud.
Makes it a one man operation.
Mike
Ps: I didn't do it to my car.
Chris914n6
I'll double check my statement, but I'm sure the engine lid bracket is slotted for adjustment.
The firewall bracket is a fixed nut, assuming a PO didn't replace the factory bracket because it broke.
Dave_Darling
The lid isn't slotted originally. Lots of people do that, though.

The hole might be oversized? If enough, that might give you the adjustment you need.

However, the most common cause for this is the L-shaped bracket on the firewall cracking at the corner of the L and starting to fold downward. Take the lid off and check closely; chances are that's what you'll find. Replace, re-weld, or reinforce them if you can. If you can't, then get someone else to do it for you.

--DD
fiberglass1inc
Thanks all. I'll take it off and see what's up.
IronHillRestorations
When the hinge bracket starts tearing off it pushes the engine lid rearward, so you might want to make sure the brackets on the firewall are OK.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.