Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So my son say's.... Cool the Alien is running good
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I said yes with reservations. I'm going to spend a couple of hours just riding with him to be sure he learns to shift it. You all know how different they are to shift.

huh.gif driving.gif crunch, crunch....

Pretty bold move I know, But it's not as if he isn't on the edge of trust anyway. He drives my 95 M3 to school every day. screwy.gif

damn I wish I had a dad like me when I was his age. dry.gif
Aaron Cox
'and he's off like a dress on prom night' laugh.gif

there isnt a backseat like an M3 happy11.gif
balljoint
No back seat. biggrin.gif
mudfoot76
Without the back seat, he'll just have to find a remote country road pull-off and hope for good weather after the dance is over in order to do a little assimilate.gif on the front hood. Who needs the back seat? cool_shades.gif
redshift
I had a dad like you! But his car shifted easy!

M
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (redshift @ May 4 2005, 12:56 PM)
I had a dad like you! But his car shifted easy!

M

lol2.gif screwy.gif burnout.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (balljoint @ May 4 2005, 02:52 PM)

plenty of trunk lid though!! biggrin.gif about the right height too
Bruce Allert
tat2dphreak Posted on May 4 2005, 01:08 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE (balljoint @ May 4 2005, 02:52 PM)
No back seat.  

plenty of trunk lid though!!  about the right height too  

Sounds like a job for B E N D O V E R beer.gif

No, seriously tho... yer cool Rick smilie_pokal.gif My Dad was cool too altho his cars were a 65 Buick Special Grand sport that would blow the doors off the 327 Novas burnout.gif or the Pontiac Grand Prix Model J. I always got trusted with those in High School.

clap.gif Have fun Lil' Rick... peddal to da meddal & balls to da walls driving.gif

......b aktion035.gif
914fire
My dates dad felt sorry for me or his daughter one and let me drive his brand new Toyota Cressida. Only car I had was a 69 Chevy Impala 4 door with custom bodywork done by "ditch". Had to bring it back right after the dance but that was ok the ole Chevys backseat was bigger than the beds in most hotel rooms... rocking nana.gif
Ferg
way to go Rick!

My Dad was very cool too, I had my fun with my prom cars (twin turbo stealth and Vette) and I didn't let him down... Just a few show off burn outs (not a good option for the alien though) Made prom fun, and impressed the ladies, spent more time in the cars than at the dance... wink.gif

Ferg
Andyrew
I drove the race car to a winter formal (944 turbo)...

As long as he's used to the car, you'll be ok.

Just tell him NOT to drop the clutch.....

Show him what he can and can not do to the car....

Oh, and get some new tires for the front of the car. (keep the rear one's the way they are... It will prevent any "launches" or anything from breaking) Front tires you need for stoping and turning incase something "happens"....

Andrew

PS, Mc Henry comes alive at 12pm on fri nights... I got off that street (in fear of cops) as soon as I could ohmy.gif
Root_Werks
Rick, YES! Your son is very lucky. biggrin.gif My Dad drove a Vega (remember those?). He asked if I wanted it for my first car as he had another Vega (spare). icon8.gif This was at the age of 14. I promptly went out and spent $15 on 2 VW Bugs and was able to get one together running before I turned 16! laugh.gif

My son is 12 now. I have asked him what he wants (I know pushy Dad), 944, early 911, 914? He sort of just shrugs his shoulders and gives me a blank look.

Although the other week I almost broke out in tears when one of his friends pointed at a car and said "Hey Ryan, there's one of those 911's."

Ryan - "That's a 996, not a 911." cool.gif

Yeahha! That's my boy! biggrin.gif
balljoint
Yes, more to the point, he is a VERY lucky boy.

I had to take a date to a formal dance in my Dad's 91 Olds Cutlass Cruiser with the fake wood panels on the side. I am not cool. dry.gif

markb
I had a similar experience the other day. We were all in the Mommy van & a Boxter drove by. The 13 year old said "waterpumper" in a kind of condecending way. rolleyes.gif I guess I've said it once or twice. laugh.gif
aircooledboy
Either you trust 'em or ya don't. Good for you. smilie_pokal.gif

But, share this story with him:
At my senior prom, cars had just been invented. . . . wait no,

Once upon a time, there was a slightly geeky but otherwise likeable young prince(one of my buddies)who borrowed his uncle's brand new Vette and drove it to his senior prom. His uncle made it very clear to the young prince that if anything happened to the car because he was screwing around, the young Prince would be required to pay for any damage. He drove the car very carefully all night, obeying all the laws of the kingdom, until it was time to leave the dance. The young prince was very proud of himself, because unlike the rest of us, . . .I'm mean the others at the dance, he had abstained from getting hammered. To celebrate his sobriety, he decided one little demostration of the power of his uncle's car wouldn't hurt anything, so he dumped the clutch in the parking lot and burned a perfect 360' doughnut. All the young drunks, I mean young men and women in the parking lot were most impressed, and we. . .(damnit), I mean they whoopped and hollered, and encouraged the young prince to "doit again, doit again!!!!", so he did. Unfortunately, the second doughnut did not go as well as the first, and this time the young prince plowed the front end and driver's side of the beautiful car directly into a very large concrete light base, which did aproximately $14,000 damage to the car (which was a ton of money in 1983). The young prince's uncle happened to be the unforgiving type, and true to his word, required the young prince to pay for the damages rather than turn the claim into insurance. It took the young prince almost 4 years to pay off the damages to the car. As a reminder to the young prince, his evil (and pretty twisted, if you ask me)stepfather mounted the destroyed front clip of the Vette inside the family garage where the young prince used to park his car before he had to sell it, since he couldn't afford to pay for his own insurance, and pay for the damage it had done to his uncle's car. And it stayed there the entire 4 years, with the evil stepfather even requiring the young prince to wash it periodically if it became too dusty and dirty. ohmy.gif

The moral of the story: If you borrow a powerful sports car, and you know the owner wouldn't let you do what you are thinking of doing, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!
grantsfo
My dad let me drive his orange 914 to my senior prom and I managed to figure out how to get along fine without a back seat. biggrin.gif For some reason that car went over better with my prom dates parents than my junior year ride a VW bus. But now I'm thinking V8 and high school kid. I think I was responsible enough to drive a 1.7 back then, but a V8 would be awfully tempting to do something stupid. I just finished teaching my 17 year old nephew how to drive a stick and I'm still shaking from that expereince. I think some young drivers just dont have a sense of physics.

Maybe speed and rev limiters are the answer. Or maybe he's an extremely mature and resposible teenager who wont be drinking. I know they exist.
Allan
1970 Ford Maverick. 3 speed on the column with a straight 6.
i love porsche
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ May 4 2005, 01:18 PM)

Although the other week I almost broke out in tears when one of his friends pointed at a car and said "Hey Ryan, there's one of those 911's."

Ryan - "That's a 996, not a 911." cool.gif

Yeahha! That's my boy! biggrin.gif

that is awesome!!!

props to your kid!
Toast
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ May 4 2005, 12:50 PM)
Pretty bold move I know, But it's not as if he isn't on the edge of trust anyway. He drives my 95 M3 to school every day. screwy.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif chairfall.gif chairfall.gif

Rick, you drove The Alien to California TWICE and make it back each time.
And then you want to let your son take it out for one night!? screwy.gif slap.gif

Just kidding. That will be one sweet ride to show up in to pick up his date. I know I would be impressed if I was his date. drooley.gif
redshift
If I was his date, I'd think it's a little early for him to be going through a mid-life crisis..

smile.gif

Then I'd ask him why he asked me to the prom.. unsure.gif

M
neo914-6
He earned it being part of your build crew! That's great, most kids want to drive the new flashy stuff, not the "old" car... maybe he wants to scare her into being clingy. laugh.gif
SirAndy
i gather this "prom" thing is somewhat important for you guys, but ...

could someone please explain to me (the american culture challanged) exactly what "the prom" is ???
confused24.gif Andy
redshift
PROM: It's the first time a man can legally use his pen.

M
ewdysar
My Prom car was HER mom's Jaguar Mark I. Nice sedan, big back seat. Waking up around dawn, in the Will Rogers State Beach parking lot near Malibu, headed back home on the 10 freeway. Still relaxed (groggy) came through the curves right after leaving the beach and the freeway was littered with chunks of concrete, 6 to 12 inches cubed. Barely realized what was happening as I drove through the minefield, luckily no blocks in my lane smilie_pokal.gif the only lane that was clear. Half a dozen cars by the side of the road inspecting damage. My GF woke at my expletive, told her "Nothing, don't worry, go back to sleep." Never did mention the incident to her mom... rolleyes.gif

No harm, no foul.
Eric
Andyrew
The prom is when the seniors of the high school invite whomever they want to a dance hosted by the school.

Generally, many people dont go to the dance and just stay at their cars and or rent a hotel room....

The rest shall be remained silent...

Lets say they play bingo, or go fish or something.....

Ya... We'll go with that....

(I dont have prom at my school..)
GWN7
I'd be really woried if your son asked Miles to the prom too. laugh.gif

I was 30 before I got to drive my dads car.

My son on the other hand has driven mine since he got his licence.

Took him to Florida when he was 8 and he was using the camcorder to video some aligators and a woman standing next to him says "you should be careful with that" (he wasn't doing anything wrong). I told her "why? if it breaks I'll buy another. It's not like he would break it on purpose"

Way to go Rick beerchug.gif
ewdysar
Andy,

As you may have inferred, the Prom is one of those rites of passage, the last official big dance for students graduating from High School. It's about tuxedo's, formal dresses and expensive dinners without the parents. Making the entrance with a cool car gets extra points. Many people rent limo's and the like.

Everyone knows, at some level, that their relationships are about to change as people go off to college, military, adult life, etc. so many couples choose to "make the night special" in an effort to cling to their life as they know it. Makes for some stories, like we've heard here, but these have been mostly the car aspects. There can be alot more to it...

Eric
Jeroen
way to go Rick!
Now... can you adopt me laugh.gif
eeyore
Maybe it is just me, but it is REALLY difficult to get out of a 914 wearing a formal dress without giving the world a free show.
ewdysar
I'm all for free shows, but I'm worried that you've had trouble with your formal dress and your 914, Mark...
Joe Bob
May you assholes ALL have daughters in your next life.... flipa.gif
redshift
Yes, and may you have them in this one.

God is on my side.... big money, no whammys!

M
Flat VW
QUOTE (balljoint @ May 4 2005, 11:52 AM)

They have this new thing now, called a BLANKET! mueba.gif

John
spare time toys
This is one of the saddest thing I ever read. Wouldnt your son have more fun taking a girl to the prom? Yes I too was a wall flower sad.gif Had to take my z28 to the prom huh.gif Had fun it was raining so I blasted past the crowd on the way out and hit a big puddle beer.gif
joea9146
Is this the Same Kid that Broke the Pinion Gear in your Truck.... ohmy.gif
CptTripps
I had a 3-door 85 Saab 900 Turbo when I was in High School...

Anyone that knows that car, knows that when you fold up the back seat, you have a 6.5' X 3.5'...er..."Cargo" area.

Man I loved that car.... user posted image

rick 918-S
QUOTE (joea9146 @ May 5 2005, 03:58 AM)
Is this the Same Kid that Broke the Pinion Gear in your Truck.... ohmy.gif

Well he was driving it at the time..... dry.gif hmmm may need to re-think this.. sad.gif The truck is done today, finally, dealer said it's not our fault but didn't get into it. So he's off the hook.
tdgray
Prom.... ah my girlfriend's, brothers brand new Fiero. That was the hight of Cool. wink.gif

JESUS WTF WAS I THINKING ohmy.gif

Oh yea I remember what I was thinking..... how's about a peek at those sweater puppets biggrin.gif
Eric Taylor
Prom, I took the mom's Diesel Jetta, and TWO girls smile.gif
Eric
spare time toys
QUOTE (Eric Taylor @ May 5 2005, 01:30 PM)
Prom, I took the mom's Diesel Jetta, and TWO girls smile.gif
Eric

Bragger finger.gif
Eric Taylor
Jealous smile.gif
Eric
roundboy914
1959 Triumph TR3A +
Dual SU Carbs, which are only slightly less reliable that shitty ass webers, especially when have been re-built by the crack father and son team of Close Enough For Military Work Family garage=
Clogged float bowl on LSD at 2:00 am on the way to North Avenue Beach for some 'Star Gazing'
Got the carb fixed, and still got to see those big, b-e-a-utiful stars.
ablose58
I can remember my prom, I had a 69 ss chevelle hugger orange with black stripes, boy does that bring back memories smilie_pokal.gif
xsboost90
i was going to borrow a taurus SHO for my first prom, but they backed out at the last minute, so i had to drive my multicolored mustang to prom. sad.gif The next year i drove my 71 nova black on black w/ white letters and ralley wheels to prom-only time my gym teacher ever stopped to talk to me-"nice ride Jauch-o-rama!"
Bruce Allert
QUOTE (roundboy914 @ May 6 2005, 04:22 AM)

Clogged float bowl on LSD at 2:00 am on the way to North Avenue Beach for some 'Star Gazing'
Got the carb fixed, and still got to see those big, b-e-a-utiful stars.

laugh.gif I'd like to have seen that job after being done on acid drunk.gif

I steered a Destroyer while on that stuff... only got 90 degrees off course ohmy.gif but brought it back before anyone caught it beer.gif

Here's to our guys in T H E N A V beerchug.gif

...........b smoke.gif
watsonrx13
I had a cool Dad that let me borrow his sports car for my senior year:

1967 Morgan Plus-4-Plus

The only time the Morgan company ever built a fiberglass bodied, fixed-head coupe. Only 60 were ever made.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (watsonrx13 @ May 6 2005, 08:16 AM)
I had a cool Dad that let me borrow his sports car for my senior year:

1967 Morgan Plus-4-Plus

The only time the Morgan company ever built a fiberglass bodied, fixed-head coupe. Only 60 were ever made.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Come on... we need to see this one. Cool.

there's some funny stuff here... laugh.gif
watsonrx13
Here's a pic I got off of the web. My dad's car was green.

djm914-6
I met my prom date the night of the prom. I guess I should have looked at the Limo before renting it. It was a white, superstretch (this was the '80s after all). My prom date spent the entire ride to Boston with her hand by her neck, covering the top of her dress. Honest, I didn't know there was a full length mirror on the ceiling when I rented it, honest.

Yup, that's a great first impression.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.