Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield chrome trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomh
Going to paint Monday, finally. I need to know procedure for removing the windshield trim, I don't want to screw it up and have to replace it.
Thanks
mepstein
There are some good threads on this site and 914 rubber has the correct tool.
Mikey914
This is what you need. Have them in stock if you have enough time. But anything thin that can hook behind the clips to release the trim will work. You could cut your own from a thin piece of sheetmetal. Just need to make the clips release.

http://shop.914rubber.com/Windshield-chrom...m?categoryId=-1
tomh
I didn't realize a special tool was made just for doing this. I think the real info I need is what the clips look like.
Minerva's 914
I have new trim to add back. Any tips on installing the chrome trim?
iankarr
The foolproof way is to slip a thin putty knife between the trim and the frame over the location of each clip and give a quick tap of a hammer to break the pin holding the clip to the frame. They're plastic and you'll need new ones anyway. You can then gently remove the old clips when the trim is off the car
Mikey914
The clips are a plastic base with a rounded notch to accept the edge of the chrome. The purpose of the tool is to flex the plastic forward enough to get it to release.
You can see the profile form some of our raw stock here.
tomh
Miley, do have the clips and the thin rubber strip that goes at the base of the windshield on the dashboard.
bandjoey
HF sells the $8 nylon body trim tool set. Used it to remove the chrome trim 2x so far and didn't break the clips.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.