Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bosch rebuilt or High-Torque Starter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HansJan
Hello,

Having a starter issue. Ever since the charging system and electrical shorts have been worked out, the starter is cranking strong.
However since this morning it is not cranking any more (just a loud "click"). hit the thing with a hammer (used to do the trick 25 yr ago, on the old Audi) but without success.

So I'm shopping for a new starter.

There are the Bosh rebuilds (at Pelican and AutoAtlanta) approx. $116.
There is the High Torque starter from Performance Product (Pelican) $255.

Car is a 1972 with 103mm cylinders (based on 2.0l case).
In this matter I only care about reliability and durability.

In the opinion of the 914World brain-trust, which starter is the one to get?

Amphicar770
I have put hi torque starters in 3 vehicles, including my 914. All work perfect which has not always been my experience with rebuilt units.
mepstein
We always go to a local shop to have the origional rebuilt. They only take a day or 2 and charge $75-100. You should check around your area.
914Sixer
Get a 74-up 911 Bosch starter. It is almost twice (1.5 hp) vs the the stock .8 hp. Make sure you replace the battery cable with a larger diameter wire. Have a custom one made.
Chris914n6
Did you check the battery?
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Hans Jan @ Mar 10 2017, 02:23 PM) *

In this matter I only care about reliability and durability.

In the opinion of the 914World brain-trust, which starter is the one to get?

Check other recent threads on the subject of flywheels also.
I've used hi-torque starters & they work ok, BUT have shredded 2 flywheel ring gears also. The last one was a new expensive /6 flywheel bought from PMS & lasted only a year, maybe 6000 miles on it. Peter Dawe told me to immediately go back to a 911 starter, so I got one & am amazed at the difference in the diameter of the starter gear shaft. The hi-torque unit is maybe 1/2 inch and the Bosch is over 3/4 inch--huge increase in ability to maintain alignment under cranking stress.
As to sources, most places are requiring $90 or so in core charge. However, I found one on Amazon with no core charge & competitive price--Bosch rebuilt SR68X, no affiliation.
saigon71
I battled starter issues for a while when I first got my car on the road. Went with the hi-torque option and I'm very happy with the decision.
GeorgeRud
A lot of starter problems are actually caused by inadequate voltage reaching the starter and solenoid. A starter relay is probably not a bad idea to take some strain off the old, original wiring.
HansJan
Just to close-out this thread.

Based on the comments received above, I decided to purchase the Bosh starter that is used for the older 911's. (Bosch SR68X on Amazon for $217).
Even though it lis smaller then what I took out of the car (see picture), it crancked strong and started the car right up.

Not sure what is wrong with the unit that was in the car. It makes a loud "CLICK" when trying to start, but it would not turn. Bypassed the starting circuit with a remote starter (from Harbor Freight) to test it. Im too lazy to ship it. But if one of you local guys want to pick it up and play around with it be my guest.

Thanks to all, for your comments.
OldMan
Are you sure that you don't have a grounding problem? This might be an electrical problem instead of a pure mechanical problem. As I understand, your starter doesn't turn at all?! You know these things are notorious for not starting. I am having that problem as we speak, but haven't redone my engine ground to the trunk floor in about 6 or 7 years, so I suspect that this is my problem. It might also be a battery grounding failure. Please understand that it takes only a very small grounding problem to upset the poorly designed Bosch starter solenoids. It might be yours as well.
HansJan
New grounding straps between transmission and trunk floor, as well as between battery ground and chassis ground lug, were installed when I put the engine back in the car (after fire damage repair).

Without changing anything else, besides the starter, this problem seems to be solved.
Thanks for checking in. bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.