Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it just me...or have sixes climbed off the charts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
I have renewed my interest in my 914s recently... But i have been peeking on the bird board...the prices on flat six motors is off the charts...30000 for 3.2...9500 for a core 3.0
really??
Where did the 2500 buck 3.0 cores go or 4000 complete 2.4s? confused24.gif
one day i will be looking for a 3.0 core
SirAndy
Better be nice to my engine, seems like it's worth more than the rest of the car ...
huh.gif
mepstein
Yes. But the guy selling the $36k 3.2 is dreaming. Just like our cars, what you put into a rebuild doesn't make it market price.
Mueller
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Mar 10 2017, 06:30 PM) *

I have renewed my interest in my 914s recently... But i have been peeking on the bird board...the prices on flat six motors is off the charts...30000 for 3.2...9500 for a core 3.0
really??

Yep, I try not to dwell on the past due the increase...

I passed up buying a real /6 for $10K years ago, figured no big deal and I could find another one in a few years if I really want one....nope

I could have bought my front end damaged '92 964 for $5K and I too passed on that one.
pete-stevers
I have the parts and pieces of a 3.0 in the shop...lost all the small stuff in the fire.
but i see some one is even trying to sell a set of 3.0 heads for 1200 smackers drunk.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 10 2017, 09:56 PM) *

QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Mar 10 2017, 06:30 PM) *

really??

Yep, I try not to dwell on the past due the increase...

I passed up buying a real /6 for $10K years ago, figured no big deal and I could find another one in a few years if I really want one....nope

I could have bought my front end damaged '92 964 for $5K and I too passed on that one.

Ouch
IronHillRestorations
My money is on 964's. Those seem to be on a good trajectory.
pete-stevers
I am talkin engines... flat six engines...
Coondog
LA auto dismantliers gets about 12.5 for a unrebuilt 3.2. I bought mine from PMS for a lot less then that. My friend rebuilds these motors and gets up to 40K.

Sir Andy is correct, these 6 motors will be worth more than our cars.
pete-stevers
I see... the 914 is still worth 2500 bucks! but the addition of a 30,000 3.2 six...makes it worth 32500... biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
I was upset that my 3.2 needs a top-end rebuild after paying $5500 for it. Then, I was having breakfast with Eric Shea as he passed through town a bit ago and he pointed out that 3.2's are going for $12 -$15K now. Gives me some room... dry.gif
Robnxious
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 10 2017, 09:11 PM) *

I was upset that my 3.2 needs a top-end rebuild after paying $5500 for it. Then, I was having breakfast with Eric Shea as he passed through town a bit ago and he pointed out that 3.2's are going for $12 -$15K now. Gives me some room... dry.gif

This is one of the reasons I am going to go with a bigger 4 (2.3). I mean, my mechanic told me that for everything you need to do to convert over to a 6 now, it pretty much would START around 30K
Mark Henry
My fresh rebuild 3.0 hot rod engine is likely worth over $30K.
That's why I'm going to rebuild the 2.7 on spec, wasn't worth it a few years ago, but I think now it is.

I passed up a near perfect complete '67 912 for $10k about 5 years ago.
I passed because it had a non numbers matching engine that needed a rebuild and it was a colour change.
When I think of it now... headbang.gif
falcor75
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Mar 11 2017, 04:47 AM) *

My money is on 964's. Those seem to be on a good trajectory.

I sold my 964 4½ years ago and bought the 914 project....totally missed out on doubling my money.... biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
To the original post, the flat /6 prices are way out of context IMHO. Add the decreasing servicing shops, age, and wear these engines have, and you have an expensive time bomb,

That said, your conversion /6 is worth what with a Subi / Honda / SBC vs a 3.2 / 3.0 / 3.6? When is the last time you saw a completed /6 conversion in our classifieds? People are building what they want and keeping them.
bretth
20 years ago i bought a 25k mile 69 911t motor for 250 bucks. Also bought a 2.2 core for $500 shipped. Still have both motors but wish i bought a lot more back then.

Brett
sixnotfour
time marches on...I sold a 65 al case no numbers for 22k ..3 months ago..pretty sure he had a buyer lined up...but no hassle sale for me
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 11 2017, 06:49 AM) *

time marches on...I sold a 64 al case no numbers for 22k ..3 months ago..pretty sure he had a buyer lined up...but no hassle sale for me

What do you think a 73.5 T - factory replacement engine - no numbers - no CIS - 7R - running would go for?
Larmo63
$7500.00??

At least on today's market...
Unobtanium-inc
I'm just waiting for the 2.7's to come up in price, I have a boatload of those. Right now there are just good for engine rodeo riding, I prefer the carbed ones for the rodeo, more to grab onto.
Andyrew
I think were going to see more subaru -6 engine conversions in the future. 30k? Geez... I could buy a nice conversion car and an old 50-60's wagon to flat tow it with for that much...
Big Len
Here's a 2.7 that doesn't have a lot of info, but cheap.
https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/pts/6031366735.html
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Big Len @ Mar 11 2017, 09:27 AM) *

That's not cheap for a 2.7, I wish they were worth $5000, I've got a bunch.
porschetub
Payed 1500 for my 2.2t engine 18yrs ago from my friends shop,it had been in a VW bus complete with custom adaptor flywheel that ran a 200mm HD clutch.
I remember having to borrow the cash,next day he was offered 2500 by a 911 owner....luck came my way as I got the money to him in time.
I guess we have the 911 hotrod craze to thank for engine prices atleast for the larger engines,you see more cars for sale as rollers for than reason too.
The last of the aircooled cars (964 993) have risen steeply in price as many purist 911 guys never excepted a watercooled 911.
The cost of rebuilding them has risen also ,I remember the times when you could buy a Mahle barrel/piston kit for a modest price,seen a few NOS kits on ebay for crazy $$$,these are a complex engine to rebuild so labour costs for machining and assembly amount to a big chuck of the cost these days.
My advice to anyone looking @ a motor for a good price is grab it now even if you dry store it for a while ,the PO of my car offered me his sorted European 3.0 for 5K 2.5years ago and sold it recently for 12.5K on our countries biggest auction site.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 11 2017, 11:46 AM) *

I'm just waiting for the 2.7's to come up in price, I have a boatload of those. Right now there are just good for engine rodeo riding, I prefer the carbed ones for the rodeo, more to grab onto.

......that's a 2.2
mb911
The parts are crazy expensive that's the issue. I have 5k in parts alone in my 2.4 rebuild and I buy most of my stuff at wholesale. I could buy a pretty awesome gm ls engine for that money. Look at how much just fan housings are. 300-800 most times and people send me theirs for repairs which a few years ago was unheard of.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 11 2017, 10:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 11 2017, 11:46 AM) *

......that's a 2.2

Indeed, which is why I said I prefer the carbed ones for the rodeo, more coffee Rory, get some more coffee.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 11 2017, 01:44 PM) *

The parts are crazy expensive that's the issue. I have 5k in parts alone in my 2.4 rebuild and I buy most of my stuff at wholesale. I could buy a pretty awesome gm ls engine for that money. Look at how much just fan housings are. 300-800 most times and people send me theirs for repairs which a few years ago was unheard of.

My 3.0 I have over $10K in parts alone. Plus $2k for the core.
More if you factor in my NIB custom RS Mahle pistons and LN replated OE cylinders, in total I paid $2500, I could easily sell the set for $5K now.

That doesn't count the /6 conversion parts. rolleyes.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 11 2017, 11:29 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 11 2017, 01:44 PM) *

My 3.0 I have over $10K in parts alone. Plus $2k for the core.
More if you factor in my NIB custom RS Mahle pistons and LN replated OE cylinders, in total I paid $2500, I could easily sell the set for $5K now.

That doesn't count the /6 conversion parts. rolleyes.gif

That's why if you take the trouble to build it, you keep it.
mepstein
Now that Ben is doing big engine heat exchangers, I decided my flaired car needs a 3.6. So now its time to hunt down a good running '95 - 993 engine. driving.gif
pete-stevers
Well I have some of my 3.0 left..It was all apart the day of the fire, so when the firemen came....the parts where blown all over by the water from the hoses and buried in ash. dry.gif So I will have to piece it all back together...
mepstein
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 11 2017, 12:35 PM) *

I usually get $3500 retail or $3K wholesale for a complete 2.7 that needs a rebuild.
Coondog
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 11 2017, 05:08 PM) *

I usually get $3500 retail or $3K wholesale for a complete 2.7 that needs a rebuild.

Time for a price increase biggrin.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 11 2017, 05:08 PM) *

That's more like what I see actually sell on the open market. The 2.7 is just the step child motor, not early enough for a long hood, and not big enough for a big 911. If set-up and re-built correct it's a great motor, but the reputation from new was soiled, head studs, etc. so it's hard to get good money for them. There are just too many of them around. Now that people are actually restoring mid-70s cars there will probably be a gradual increase in prices, that's what I'm banking on at least. Of course I thought with 914-6's being worth six digits now people would want an original 6 motor, I have two, but so far no one really seems to care. Luckily, like Mick Jagger, time, time, time, is on my side, yes it is.
pete-stevers
One way of looking at it is if you are sitting on parts or complete engines it is currency... unless you are a hoarder...In which case your wife will benefit when you kick off
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Robnxious @ Mar 10 2017, 09:23 PM) *

This is one of the reasons I am going to go with a bigger 4 (2.3). I mean, my mechanic told me that for everything you need to do to convert over to a 6 now, it pretty much would START around 30K

Bigger /4 is where the smart money is. Best bang for the buck is a Original Customs 2056 with FI, a 2270 is also super nice for the money.

Hind-sight would have made that a better option for me, but once I had the /6 mount and oil tank holes cut there was/is no turning back. Just try not to think too much about the money being spent blink.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Mar 12 2017, 03:40 PM) *

One way of looking at it is if you are sitting on parts or complete engines it is currency... unless you are a hoarder...In which case your wife will benefit when you kick off

My wife assured me that other than running cars, it will all be given away or thrown in a dumpster. I better get to it.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Mar 13 2017, 12:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Robnxious @ Mar 10 2017, 09:23 PM) *

Bigger /4 is where the smart money is. Best bang for the buck is a Original Customs 2056 with FI, a 2270 is also super nice for the money.

Hind-sight would have made that a better option for me, but once I had the /6 mount and oil tank holes cut there was/is no turning back. Just try not to think too much about the money being spent blink.gif

A 2270 is cheaper, but you're limited to about 150hp, done right I'd say $6K in parts, 2.7 with nickies 180hp with a quality exhaust and carbs $12K+ in parts alone. Add FI and the price just went up again.

Stroker cranks for the T4 are a questionable factor, good welded cranks aren't as good as they used to be and the chinese cranks I consider disposable after about 40k miles.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.