Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coolant routing for V8 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
Hello all,
I'm getting to the point where I need to start thinking about which route to go with plumbing for water to and from the radiator.
I've seen rubber and steel. Black pipe (heavy) and copper.
Most going below the floor pan.

Are there any other options?
Much thanks.
Mueller
do the rubber Gates hose "under" the car as recommended by Renegade.............
ewdysar
Rubber under the car will bounce back from random hits, Ian noticed that feature when he jumped a curb. I doubt copper would take the weight of the car if you high centered on a speed bump, though thick wall steel should be OK. Some people have run rubber hose down the rockers inside the heater ducts, but I've heard that bleeding the system can be problematic.

I'm running Gates down the center of the car (installed at Renegade)

Eric
cdmcse
Slight Hijak..Anybody know how GM did the cooling on the fiero?
neo914-6
Roger,

It's personal preference, there are advantages and disadvantages to each material and route. Production cars are designed to use metal tubing with short rubber hoses. Since we are adapting, bare rubber hose or copper/steel/aluminum tubing, or sstl braided hose with AN fittings have been used. Routing under the rockers or down the tunnel are more protected but you have to cut and fab more. You could also leak water inside the cabin if routed inside. The rubber down the center is the least fab oriented and has the least amount of joints. It also begs the question if there was enough damage to rupture the hose, you've got more problems than a leaking hose. Whatever you chose, make sure to minimize kinks, leak points, and air pockets...
marks914
Heres a pic from a few years ago when I was fitting my system. Copper and rubber, its worked so far, 15000 miles later. If you have some bends and clamp the tubing to the car at strategic spots, the tubing will not rotate or move on you.
Mark
marks914
Heres a pic of the rad early on...
Mark

Dr. Roger
OK, so does anyone know where the cheapest place is to get Gates hose in bulk? biggrin.gif
JB 914
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ May 4 2005, 06:28 PM)
OK, so does anyone know where the cheapest place is to get Gates hose in bulk? biggrin.gif

I'm pretty sure the Renegade use the green strip truck hose.

I used Marine exhaust hose for mine. it's what the big Yacht's use and can handle way more temperature than a V8 can ever throw at it. It's got a really thick wire reinforment to it.

It's easier to install then copper and way tougher than the standard truck hose. if you have a wholesale hose place the should have it. or a marine supply place.
neo914-6
Roger,
Two words: search engine laugh.gif
skline, renegade, v8 conversion, etc...
or a type a V8 builder's members name and "and" or "or"

Here's some info: hose clamp
hose alternatives
skline
I installed the Marine wet exhaust hose in mine and when Joe bought his we redid the hoses in the same hose. It will withstand any impact you come across. I get the hose here locally for a lot less than I could find the Gates hose anywhere. If you are ready to buy, let me know and I will get you a price on it. Just need to know what size hoses you are going to run. It's like $80.00 for both hoses if I remember right.
MarkV
If Guy (914GT) sees this thread he will chime in. Look at his 914 V8 conversion thread, he used 3/4" thick wall iron pipe. Strong enough to use it as a jack point.

Here is the thread: conversion project

BIGKAT_83
agree.gif agree.gif

I used the gates hose on my first conversion, but on my new one I'm going with solid tubing under the car.

If you do go with the gates rubber hose its best to get it from a 18 wheeler truck supply house. I got all of the green stripe for a conversion for less than $50

Bob
v82go

I have found that heavy wall aluminum conduit works very well. It dissipates heat and doesn't weigh much.
v82go

pic 2
Nickm1
I have rubber hose on mine.
Pictures here: http://photos.yahoo.com/nicksws6
Phoenix-MN
I went with stainless steel tubing -
Pictures at;
http://www.phoenixhobbies.com/html/cooling.html

Paul
914GT
QUOTE (Nickm1 @ May 5 2005, 09:06 AM)
I have rubber hose on mine.
Pictures here: http://photos.yahoo.com/nicksws6

That one hose (pic 13) has a kink in it.
914GT
QUOTE (Phoenix-MN @ May 5 2005, 09:20 AM)
I went with stainless steel tubing -
Pictures at;
http://www.phoenixhobbies.com/html/cooling.html

Paul

Very nice job!
Nickm1
yep, thats why I took a picture of it. Don't do that.
tyler
Bob,
Could you tell me what radiation you installed? I'm still looking for one.
btw, I use that marine hose for all the cooling, especially at the engine. The type with the wire bends without kinking like the green stripe hose. Not cheap though, they sell it "by the inch".
rick 918-S
It all works, I didn't like the look of the droopy hose under the car. I used thin wall electrical conduit. It's light weight, aids in cooling, weldable, etc. If you hit this tube hard enough to crush it you'll have much more serious issues to deal with than cooling tube.... huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.