Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Charging voltage?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falcor75
What voltage do you have on the battery while the car sits at idle or like 2500 rpm?

Mine is at 13,5v at idle and 13,7-ish at higher rpm. Is that low or normal?
Tom_T
That is pretty good Matts.

I think down to 12.5 is okay.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
porschetub
See no issue there,I always assumed 13.8 was the norm then I see 14.4volts on my spare Hella regulator confused24.gif .
Dave_Darling
14.4V is optimal. ~13.5V is acceptable. Many or most 914s seem to regulate to that lower voltage; modern cars almost all regulate to the higher voltage.

--DD
falcor75
Since my alternator is newly rebuilt I expected to see around 14 volts charging, Maybe its the voltage regulator thats a bit old and tired.
914Sixer
Be careful on the voltage regulator. Some the new replacements do NOT fit correctly and seem to fail regularly. The Bosch is pricey but worth it.
Spoke
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Mar 12 2017, 05:15 AM) *

Since my alternator is newly rebuilt I expected to see around 14 volts charging, Maybe its the voltage regulator thats a bit old and tired.

I put a new VR and now get 14V at all RPM. You can test the alternator by removing the plug from the alternator and shorting DF to D+. This will cause the alternator to output maximum voltage around 16V.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.