Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I put this exhaust together?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
Right now the car has a kerry hunter header into a straight pipe. Not exactly practical if you know what i mean.

This came with the car but i'm not exactly sure how to connect it all. Do I use exhaust clamps? Is this a spring type junction? Can anyone identify who made it?

Thanks
yarin
more
SLITS
It looks like there are tabs welded onto the various pipes. If the tabs mate, then it's bolts...if they don't mate then it's heavy springs.

You could also use exhaust clamps on the joints, but tightening them might distort the tubes.

yarin
Hmm... i think you are right about the tabs that bolt together. It does look like the tabs line up and can bolt together. Thanks!
Aaron Cox
thats funky....

looks like a flowmaster muffler.... have no clue who amde it tho wink.gif
yarin
Yes the muffler is made by Flowmaster. I also need to come up with an exhaust pipe/tip to direct the exhaust out the back.
SLITS
Some systems had tabs like that and used a heavy spring to hold them together so they could easily be disassembled at the track when the phrase "Chance favors the well-prepared" did NOT work quite like it should. lol2.gif
Brad Roberts
Do you have the stub tubes ?? I dont see them in the pics. It appears to be a early "Tangerine racing header"

B
yarin
What are stub tubes?

This is all I have. confused24.gif
Joe Bob
I think that model bolts to the heads w/o stubbies....
SLITS
Hey Mikey.....those are flat flanges...there's gonna be a big gap if bolted up to a type four. There needs to be short piece between the flanges and the exhaust gasket to seal.....No?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SLITS @ May 4 2005, 08:04 PM)
Hey Mikey.....those are flat flanges...there's gonna be a big gap if bolted up to a type four. There needs to be short piece between the flanges and the exhaust gasket to seal.....No?

ayuppers biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
Yeah...now that I look again...I have flat six in my head....think yer right...needs stubbies.
yarin
Is this a generic "gasket" that I can buy?

Where can I buy this stubbie that everyone speaks of?
SLITS
That I don't know.........you need a short piece of pipe to go between the flanges, into the recess of the exhaust port to compress the exhaust gasket. Secondly, the short "stub" pipe prolly has a flange on it to mate to the head pipe flange. I would assume a good muffler shop could fabricate them for you, but remember, the port is not round. If you have a set of stockers around, look and them and you'll get the idea.

Maybe Brad has some or Tangerine could fab them.
Brad Roberts
I have none. You need the stub tubes. What you have wont bolt up to your heads. I would contact Chris Foley (Tangerine Racing) He is on the east coast and north of you.

Somebody somewhere has your stub tubes. I'm betting they are still attached to a set of heads sitting around somewhere.

B
yarin
So I need these:

user posted image

Thanks guys. i will contact the original owner and see if he has them.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ May 4 2005, 09:26 PM)
Do you have the stub tubes ?? I dont see them in the pics. It appears to be a early "Tangerine racing header"

B

That's not anything like my system, not even close, except for the fact that it's a tri-Y.
My stub pipes can probably be made to fit. I would need to know the primary tube diameter and have some details about the flanges so I can provide a set that bolts up easily.
ChrisFoley
I took a guess as to which tube goes with which cylinder.
numbers one and two appear to cross under the flywheel.
You have the secondaries upside down. They appear to cross under the tranny. I can't tell which goes with which primaries but the 1 & 3 should pair up, also the 2 & 4 should go into one collector to a secondary.
ChrisFoley
abcd
yarin
Thanks Chris!

Yeah I see how it all connects. Once I get home I can take measurements and go from there.

larryp
Chris, that was very, very impressive. You can play Legos with me anytime.
porschenut
Gee, I guess you should have posted pictures to ask everyone what this was worth BEFORE you bought it!
yarin
It came with the car as an extra. I want something on the car by next weekend, sounds like my best option is to find a supertrapp to bolt on or weld on to the kerry hunter.

Anyone got one? cool_shades.gif
yarin
I've got a 2.5" supertrapp on the way. Here is a pic of the current setup:

I'll have a muffler shop cut the existing straight pipe and just weld on the supertrapp. Should be a painless procedure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.