Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: opinions on these wheels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
My 74 has sun bugs wheels and I'm thinking of upgrading. I came across these new. All 4 for 500. I dig the 911 Fuchs style, but don't want to change to 5-lug. Or...I could just by some 2.0 Fuchs and be done with it. Thoughts?

Click to view attachment
r_towle
to me, any time IC the black and while I know its a reproduction wheel.

What are 2.0 liter Fuchs going for now?
Rand
I've never liked black in between the paddles on 4-lug Fuchs / knockoffs. It cheapens the look and reminds me of Hotwheels toys. Just an opinion though, you gotta go with what you like.
rhodyguy
That's about the same $ as cip1. Except cip1 has free shipping. Don't forget new correct longer lug bolts.

I was mistaken, at cip1 they're $89.99 right now. Shipping included, ground. Maybe 5 is not such a good deal.
Tom_T
I assume Ian, that you mean yours Have the "Star Mag-style" stock steel wheels from the 73-76 MYs now - which can look really nice when restored (see the O&H Forum under "The few the rare..." & "Wheels & Tires" nailed threads for good pix of them as restored or NOS/new.

Back in the day the 5-spoke look on 4-lugs was accomplished with the aftermarket Riviera wheels (see my avatar pic), but they're not Porsche wheels, & weigh more than the factory alloys, plus you need to get them in the ET40 914 offset - not the VW offset.

There are some nice Mahle knock-offs out there for a similar price as the Fuchs 2L knock-offs in your pic, for about the same price. I don't know if you can get any of them in fully polished or maybe a grey metallic background instead.

A nice set of 4 restored OE Fuchs 2L wheels will run you double or more of the ones you show (e.g.: $1000-1500), as well as nice restored OE Pedrini or Mahle "Baby-Gasburner" 4-lug wheels.

Ideally you want 5 for the spare in the same, but not required.

The 5-lug Fuchs or Mahle Gasburners will run a lot more, cuz you need to eihter convert to 911/912/914-6 suspension/brakes/MC/etc., or drill your 4 lug hubs & add 5 bolts each, or get adapters for same - plus those OE 5-lug wheels are double the OE 4-lug flavors.

So it's what you like - plus your budget, time, complications, etc. to do the change! blink.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Larmo63
Those look fake from a mile away. barf.gif

I would go with a set of real 2.0 Fuchs if you are asking for opinions. You can't go wrong with the genuine article and do not paint in the black. barf.gif

You asked.
Coondog
Don't be a hater........ blink.gif I am driving on fake wheels...... driving.gif
Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 11 2017, 05:12 PM) *

Those look fake from a mile away. barf.gif

I would go with a set of real 2.0 Fuchs if you are asking for opinions. You can't go wrong with the genuine article and do not paint in the black. barf.gif

You asked.

agree.gif You can get a nice set of real 2.0 Fuchs for $500-700.
mepstein
QUOTE(Coondog @ Mar 11 2017, 05:18 PM) *

Don't be a hater........ blink.gif I am driving on fake wheels...... driving.gif

Yes.
Not a hater but when people ask for opinions...
The nice thing about Fuchs is every set I've purchased, I've sold for more $.
That would be a couple dozen sets.
Krieger
I think they look great! I had a set of OEM Fuch wheels I painted just like that. I still
love that look. Do what you like. I don't know the quality of those wheels, but its a bit of work to get a set of $500 oems to look like that. You could pay more and get nicer oem set if you have to go oem.
bandjoey
If you want the original look mask off the chrome and spray some gray in the background and their original. Unless you want to win originality who cares. New is shined round Straightand rolls great unlike used.
Coondog
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 11 2017, 02:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Mar 11 2017, 05:18 PM) *

Yes.
Not a hater but when people ask for opinions...
The nice thing about Fuchs is every set I've purchased, I've sold for more $.
That would be a couple dozen sets.

Sold my Fuchs when I went 5 lug. Of course I wish I had original 5 lugs but there's that thing about $$$$ that got in the way.
DrinkMan
Those would look good with the green. Its your car, whatever your wife likes best, I always say.

Coloradocurt
QUOTE(DrinkMan @ Mar 11 2017, 04:20 PM) *

............Its your car, whatever your wife likes best, I always say.

Now there's a smart man.
For the OP, who are you trying to please, yourself or a bunch of guys you don't even know??? If you thought they were uglyass as sin but everyone else posted that they were cool, would you get them????
iankarr
Thanks Guys. Nice that y'all have opinions. All of them are welcome. I'll take a look at the star / sun bug wheels in the originality section. I don't hate these wheels...I just got so used to the 2.0 Fuchs on my 73 that it's a bit of an adjustment is all.

Click to view attachment
Rand
QUOTE(Coloradocurt @ Mar 11 2017, 03:29 PM) *

For the OP, who are you trying to please, yourself or a bunch of guys you don't even know??? If you thought they were uglyass as sin but everyone else posted that they were cool, would you get them????

It's all opinions for sure, but sometimes it pays to get feedback from those who have been around all these options forever to help you weigh thoughts you weren't thinking about before asking. It might save you from making a mistake. wink.gif
Cairo94507
A nice set of original Fuchs in the original finish would take your car to the next level. Since you asked..... beerchug.gif
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(Coondog @ Mar 11 2017, 02:18 PM) *

Click to view attachment

And polished to boot! shades.gif
Mike Fitton
I know of a set of Mahles that will be for sale soon.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Rand
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Mar 11 2017, 03:56 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Heh. Those aren't my cup of tea either. barf.gif But then again, that's just my $0.01. (Not hating, just sharing an opinion.) Not very many people would do that to real 5-lug Fuchs. So, it becomes blingingly obvious they are fake. I respect your choice, but dang, I'd never do that. It's like a rappers grill. To each his own.
iankarr
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 11 2017, 06:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Coloradocurt @ Mar 11 2017, 03:29 PM) *

It's all opinions for sure, but sometimes it pays to get feedback from those who have been around all these options forever to help you weigh thoughts you weren't thinking about before asking. It might save you from making a mistake. wink.gif

Thanks, Rand! Now I'm going to buy some 2.0 Fuchs with the money you just saved me from going to the shrink. What do you guys think of that?
Rand
LOL. It's all guys bantering in the garage. Enjoy it. Looking forward to seeing what you choose. There's no wrong choice if you like it. (Except when it's that wrong. LOL. poke.gif)

There are still some deals to be had on 4 lug Fuchs or Mahles. Close enough to the cost of those fakes to make it worth the hunt. IMHO.
Big Len
Flame suit on....check.

Fake news, the fake smile, the fake orgasm, the fake laugh. Ya' know, some call our cars "fake Porsches", which is BS. In regards to the wheels, I really don't care. As long as the wheel is made well and looks nice, I couldn't care less.

I think they look good and quite frankly, I think the look of the stock Fuchs wheel is a bit overrated.

Buy what you like Cuddy, and it will look great. Now, back to my Tres Generaciones Tequila.
Robnxious
[/quote]

Now there's a smart man.
[/quote]

Fantastic advice here. I was thinking of changing out my Western Wheels that came with my car when I bought it, since they were really dull. Before I pulled the trigger on buying new ones, I decided to see what they would look like cleaned up, and it's like night and day. I love the way they look, though I need to find new lug bolts since mine are hammered. Haven't found ones that will work yet

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Mar 11 2017, 04:12 PM) *

Mahles Rock! My favorite 4 lug for a 914.

If you want a better look with your steel wheels, paint the centers a semi-gloss black and leave the outer lips silver. You'll be surprised how good they look.
yellow75
mine are Empi fakes. I don't mind one bit. If i find a set of Fuchs for $6-700 i'll replace them, but for now they are a hell of a lot better and cheaper ( $400) than the sun bug wheels.
Mueller
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 11 2017, 04:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Mar 11 2017, 03:56 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Heh. Those aren't my cup of tea either. barf.gif But then again, that's just my $0.01. (Not hating, just sharing an opinion.) Not very many people would do that to real 5-lug Fuchs. So, it becomes blingingly obvious they are fake. I respect your choice, but dang, I'd never do that. It's like a rappers grill. To each his own.

That is a silly thing to say, plenty of real Fuchs polished and chromed before anyone even thought about making replicas. smile.gif

I don't mind the fake 2.0 Fuchs, brand new castings verses a 40 year old wheel that could have been abused?
Larmo63
That set of clean Mahles would look really nice on the Ravenna Green car...

Just saying...? That's the best four lug option I've seen so far in this thread.
74ravenna
I like your car just the way it is, with the steel wheels. It looks right to me.
If you buy the Fuchs and want to sell the steelies let me know!

yellow75
I have a set of steel sun bug wheels I took off my 75. Good Pirelli 4000's on them..PM me..
stevend914
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Mar 11 2017, 07:12 PM) *

I sent you a PM (or two)
Rand
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 11 2017, 10:10 PM) *

That is a silly thing to say, plenty of real Fuchs polished and chromed before anyone even thought about making replicas. smile.gif

I know. If I had real 5-lug Fuchs I would never do that to them! It's perfectly diametrically opposed to painting black on the 4-lug Fuchs. No offense to anyone else's taste intended. We all have them. It's just discussion. When the OP asks for opinions, I figure it's ok to share them. wink.gif
jor
I like the look of Ravenna Green with the black/anodized wheels. I doesn't bother me that the wheels are not Fuchs. They're still wheels. And the poster above is right: they do make the car look like the Hot Wheels version.
boxsterfan
To the OP. I love the 2.0L repro Fuch's you posted with the black between the polished petals. If a 40+ year old wheel is round, it is round. But seems like if I am building a non-concourse car that some repro's might be a better bet.

It's your car!! Do what makes you happy!!
JOEPROPER
Those are nice. Put them on and drive it.
jimkelly
my understanding is that the knock offs have a different offset and maybe width too. meaning you may not be able to go with as wide a tire as a guy with real fuch can? otherwise very nice looking.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=144271

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/914-F...1-2-p21993.html
Dave_Darling
I personally don't care for the wheels in the original post. Something about the shapes does not look quite right, even if you ignore the blacked-out areas.

N.B., I have also had less than stellar experiences with replica Fuchs. One really loved to rust weld itself onto the front hubs of my old 1.8...

--DD
My 914
I like the ones you are thinking of buying more than what you have on your car now. As someone else added, if your wife likes them, go for it!
bandjoey
I had to buy 6 Pedrinis to get 4 round ones. If I buy again it'll b new. Just saying... driving.gif
JP3
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 12 2017, 12:47 PM) *

I know. If I had real 5-lug Fuchs I would never do that to them! It's perfectly diametrically opposed to painting black on the 4-lug Fuchs. No offense to anyone else's taste intended. We all have them. It's just discussion. When the OP asks for opinions, I figure it's ok to share them. wink.gif

Click to view attachment

These came with my 914 when I bought it. How do I know if they are real Fuchs? I plan on painting them soon.
iwanta914-6
These 2.0L Fuchs are not far from me. Been for sale for a while, recently dropped the price to $750 for the set of 5.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/wto/6042729941.html

I'm sure there are a lot to chose from at that price though if you want 2.0L Fuchs.
Mueller
QUOTE(JP3 @ Mar 13 2017, 06:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 12 2017, 12:47 PM) *

]

These came with my 914 when I bought it. How do I know if they are real Fuchs? I plan on painting them soon.

Part number on the back, along with the Fuchs logo.

Part number should start with something like 911.xxx.xxx or 951.xxx.xxx
iankarr
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Mar 13 2017, 09:38 PM) *

These 2.0L Fuchs are not far from me. Been for sale for a while, recently dropped the price to $750 for the set of 5.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/wto/6042729941.html

I'm sure there are a lot to chose from at that price though if you want 2.0L Fuchs.

Thanks...message sent!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.