Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Type 3 trans throw out fork alignment question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sportlicherFahrer
Working on getting things set to install the engine in my GF's '69 Fastback. Replaced the TO bearing cross shaft with a stronger one due to the stage one Kennedy clutch on the engine.

The side to side alignment of the TO bearing is good, but one of the fork arms does not line up front to back with the other resulting in about .150-.250" of tilt on one side of the TO bearing. In comparison the original German cross shaft has no offset.

I would run the German one, but fear the factory forks and the welds holding them to the shaft are not up to the task of the higher pressures of the new clutch.

Should this offset be corrected, or am I just being over-critical? Not sure of what kind of clutch problems may develop from the misalignment of the TO bearing to the pressure plate.

It is an early style(pre '70) TO bearing setup without the guide collar over the input shaft.

Opinions/hints/tricks?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Mar 12 2017, 05:55 AM) *

Working on getting things set to install the engine in my GF's '69 Fastback. Replaced the TO bearing cross shaft with a stronger one due to the stage one Kennedy clutch on the engine.

The side to side alignment of the TO bearing is good, but one of the fork arms does not line up front to back with the other resulting in about .150-.250" of tilt on one side of the TO bearing. In comparison the original German cross shaft has no offset.

I would run the German one, but fear the factory forks and the welds holding them to the shaft are not up to the task of the higher pressures of the new clutch.

Should this offset be corrected, or am I just being over-critical? Not sure of what kind of clutch problems may develop from the misalignment of the TO bearing to the pressure plate.

It is an early style(pre '72) TO bearing setup without the guide collar over the input shaft.

Opinions/hints/tricks?

This is a 914 site ....but now that you've asked...
If the contact rim of the throw-out-bearing does not contact the pressure plate fingers squarely you'll have clutch chatter. Plenty of clutch chatter.
Go back to whoever supplied the 'stronger' cross shaft.
Sounds like a defective part.
fixer34
Been a long time since I worked on the type 3's, but yes, those forks should certainly be straight just like the original.
Get a replacement or weld up some reinforcements on the original.

How is the GF going to feel about the heavier clutch pressure?
Mark Henry
Can't help you, but my '67 VW bug has a 911-901 trans conversion and the TO bearing arm I bent, cut, offset and welded it with gussets, 4 years no problems so far.

Edit isn't that just a beetle trans? Take the cross shaft off and weld gussets on the backside, easy-peasy.
porschetub
Only ever seen one break and that was in a IRS Kombi box,easy to add extra weld to them,just make sure the ends of the fingers aren't worn out where the thrust bearing locates.
Have a modified beetle box in my Speedster replica running a 1.8 T4,I welded my arm and it works fine with hydraulic clutch I have.
sportlicherFahrer
Think I might just get the stock one welded up. Just worried about the backside of the arms where the retainer clip sits being a possible weak spot. I guess time will tell. I'd rather have it lined up and possibly have the arm fail than have the PP having a side load on it and tearing up the whole package. She won't mind the added pressure in the pedal. Tougher girl than most, and its not her daily ride.

Thanks for the replies guys. I know this is a 914 forum, but thats why I put OT on the subject beerchug.gif

Call me sick, but I trust the experience here more than the majority of the postings on the Samba. dry.gif
porschetub
Got you on the OT,Rory seemed a little funny about that,I quess we were all samba guys @ one stage many on here have gone VW then Porsche,I know I have biggrin.gif .
Good point about the arms ,yes the backside can stretch a little,if a perfect half circle you will be golden,IMO the stock arms are pretty tough.
Reason for going to a stronger clutch? a good Saches 200mm has good holding power normally with a new or resurfaced flywheel.
sportlicherFahrer
The engine isn't stock and should be putting out around 110hp, so needed a stronger clutch. Was also told the more recent Sachs have gotten bad on fitment to the flywheel. The Kennedy fits like a glove.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.