Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone converted bullet style RSR bulbs to LEDs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
See attached....I'd like to get a little more visible light from LEDs as opposed to the anemic incandescent bulbs that are in this set up..... blink.gif rolleyes.gif

LED bullets or somehow convert to more modern socket style bulbs....IPB Image
bandjoey
Super bright dot com. They have most anything in leds. If it's not Porsche sacrilegious what about adding a 3rd brake light?
Joe Bob
Going to try an LED replacement Festoon bulb.

Local auto parts stores only carry 1 watt LED Festoons.....gonna try and find 3Ws.....rolleyes.gif

IPB Image
Madswede
I'm interested in seeing how they turn out for you. I have RSR tail lights on my 914 and wouldn't mind them being more noticeable. I'm paranoid about my fellow drivers.
Chris914n6
All sorts of options for festoon bulbs on ebay.
Joe Bob
After five parts stores answered my call with "WTF is a Festoon bulb?" and the inevitable "What year, model and whatever" stock question....like the IT dick-in-charge "have you rebooted?"

Autozone had some at 9.99 each. Pricey but they had a tester to make sure they worked. Rated at 3 watts......nice and bright. A BIG improvement.
Joe Bob
This doohickey was in the package. Ten button batteries providing power with a momentary switch. rolleyes.gif

Somebody with too much time on their hands...

IPB Image
Elliot Cannon
Nice to know that they work though right? Are those interior lights?
Joe Bob
They ARE used as interior lights. But in this case brake lights. They also have a marine application for the dash.

I guess because they seem to take the wet better than plug in type bulbs. I looked up the part number online. But......No marine supply stores were open today....
edwin
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LED-INTERIOR-LI...T4AAOSw4HVWFGAP

Try searching for "12v LED panel" on ebay. typically come with a bunch of socket and festoon adapters, heaps of different panel sizes available. Again they are designed as interior lights so I'm sure the legals would be interesting if anything ever happened.
Spoke
Someone just asked me about LEDs for the RSR fixtures. Where can I purchase a set to check for fitment of LEDs?
Joe Bob
Post #6 should have what you need. Autozone has an online store.....
Joe Bob
BTW has anyone found a source for cheaper replacement lenses w/o having to buy the $350 "kit"?
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Joe Bob @ Mar 12 2017, 08:16 AM) *

See attached....I'd like to get a little more visible light from LEDs as opposed to the anemic incandescent bulbs that are in this set up..... blink.gif rolleyes.gif

LED bullets or somehow convert to more modern socket style bulbs....IPB Image

Been there done that.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...6791&st=600
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Joe Bob @ Mar 12 2017, 07:02 PM) *

BTW has anyone found a source for cheaper replacement lenses w/o having to buy the $350 "kit"?

I buy them here and sell them to the 911 guys for $200 for the 4 lamps because I can and 911 guys think they dropped out of a Porsche 917's vagina.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella-1259-seri...-lamps-ece.html

Don't tell anyone the entire lamp assembly runs $12 a piece.
mepstein
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 12 2017, 10:41 PM) *

Someone just asked me about LEDs for the RSR fixtures. Where can I purchase a set to check for fitment of LEDs?

Camp 914 used to have them.
Joe Bob
Thanks, Jeff your secret is safe with me.....after 10 years mine are faded..... dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.