Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spring rates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Downunderman
I'm in the process of getting a set of Bilsteins re-valved and need to know the wheel rate for 21mm torsion bars, which looks to be 172 lbs/inch, but would appreciate confirmation. There is a large degree of variance over on the bird board.

I can't find the rear wheel rate anywhere. Someone must know. I have a very vague recollection that is 0.9 or 90% of the spring rate. Assistance appreciated.

Howie.
Downunderman
Noone?

Maybe I should have asked the question like this:

If the rear wheel goes up and inch how far does the shock move?

H
andys
QUOTE(Downunderman @ Mar 13 2017, 11:58 AM) *

Noone?

Maybe I should have asked the question like this:

If the rear wheel goes up and inch how far does the shock move?

H

Well, it's been a long time, but IIRC the motion ration for the rear is 1.17:1.

Memory challenged.... unsure.gif

Andys
Downunderman
Thanks Andy. Therefor 1/1.17 = 0.85. So for each inch of wheel travel the shock moves 0.85 inches. Which means that the wheel rate is 85% of the nominal spring rate.
andys
QUOTE(Downunderman @ Mar 13 2017, 01:48 PM) *

Thanks Andy. Therefor 1/1.17 = 0.85. So for each inch of wheel travel the shock moves 0.85 inches. Which means that the wheel rate is 85% of the nominal spring rate.

For every inch of wheel travel, the shock mounting point travels 1.17 inches; BUT the shock is at an angle, so you'll have to calculate the required rate using one of the online calculators like this one:

http://www.qa1.net/technical-support/stree...pring-rate-tech

or

http://www.hypercoils.com/spring-calculator

Andys

jd74914
No guarantee on accuracy, but my kinematics model shows an overall spring motion ratio between ~0.9-1 depending on suspension position (in this case I'm running stock suspension points with 25" tires so the trailing arms are essentially level @ 0).

Click to view attachment
Downunderman
Thanks. That helps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.