Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stripping paint off fiberglass flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JB 914
I need to strip the paint off my flares before taking it to the body shop. What should i use to strip off Fiberglass that i can get locally? I tried home depot, but, everything they have will eat my flares burger.gif
Always Looking
Dont' know what you should use to strip paint from glass, but......Which body shop? I'm in your area and thinking about body work/paint within next six months. beerchug.gif
Mueller
I'm thinking sanding or media blasting with CO2 or baking soda might be your best bets....
Aaron Cox
pour some of that caustic BBQ sauce on there
redshift
I would use the aircraft stripper... and do a hand sized area ta'time.

M
JB 914
QUOTE (Always Looking @ May 4 2005, 05:03 PM)
Dont' know what you should use to strip paint from glass, but......Which body shop? I'm in your area and thinking about body work/paint within next six months. beerchug.gif

Big Rey's Auto Collison
12520 E. Carson
Hawaiian Gardens
1-562-429-0886

Ask for Rey. I have another friend that has used them and they did a really good job. Tell him you were referred by Joe Buckle. $2500 for body work and paint. he asked me to strip it since i've got about 5-6 colors wacko.gif

Attached is a pic of my friends car during the paint job.
JB 914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ May 4 2005, 05:10 PM)
pour some of that caustic BBQ sauce on there

I tried that. Now all the dogs in the area are licking my car and running off yelping ohmy.gif

doesn't take the paint off, but, it sure makes it smell good drooley.gif
Brando
Plasma cutter?

The aircraft stripper should work OK.

Pressure-washer (2100 PSI) might do the trick... or punch holes in the F/G.
914fire
dont use the power washer if its chopper gun glass . if you cut through the gel coat it will fly apart..
jonwatts
I agree with Mueller, chemical strippers will do bad things to fiberglass and bondo (I assume there's bondo along the seams where the flares are mounted).

rhodyguy
a local co had a vette body they used as a demo for their plastic bead (hate to use the term blast) media. they did a half and half. i was pretty impressed. who ever you may choose, take a small piece of similar f.g. in and see what the finnished product looks like.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.