Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: buying advice on a 2004 911 Turbo conv
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
draganc
Guys,

Any inside or advice about a 2004 911 Turbo convertible?

Car has 36k mls and original paint and being sold by a Porsche dealer.

I'm looking for expirance about the awd and general maintenance.

What I understood is that the Turbo has a Metzler type engine, hence no
issues with the IMT. Yes, no?

Any other typical/known issue?

Thanks for sharing the knowledge!

dc

colingreene
has no IMS bearing problems.
The cooling system lines will need to be addressed because they can split and cause you problems.
Also scan it for over revs, category 1 is fine category 2 is not.
Generally the car is a very solidly built car, look at the tires, and see if it shows signs of misalignment or abuse, if the tires are more than 5 years old re place them.
Rsjg911
I had a 996 Turbo Cab and I can say that the engine was my favorite next to my old 3.2. It has a GT 1 titanium case, I believe, and I described the car as "too much car, not enough driver."
There is NO IMS Bearing issues, it's a completely different engine. Also, I thought the cooling line issues were on the 997s not the 996s. I spoke with s few experts at the Werks Show yesterday about the cooling lines and one said to replace them right away (cost 2800, 97% labor, but install a new clutch assembly while the engine is dropped, so 4500) and the other said not to bother until it failed. The latter said damage would be minimal from the coolant because one would shut her down as soon as they saw the smoke and steam. As for when they fail, both said at any mileage. Could be 20000, could be 80000, could be never.

Strongly agree with previous poster about checking for over revs but I trust you will have an independent shop run a PPI on it as a condition of purchase. I would not buy without a PPI. It's the cheapest 250 you will ever spend,and any flaws can be used to negotiate down the selling price.

Lastly, I would recommend getting an extended warranty. A good "Gold" package runs about 2400 (100/ month for two years) and again, like a PPI is peace of mind.

The 996 Turbo Cab is one if the best value Porsches you can buy. I'm guessing the car should sell for between 50-55, no more, regardless of what the dealer is asking.

Hope that helps! Here's a pix of my 996.

Ron
Catorse
The case is not titanium. It's aluminum and usually carries a 964 part number because that's what it is - a 964 case with water cooled heads. It's a METZGER engine, not a metzler (muffler mfg) engine.

Good motor. I have a 996. The car is more or less problem free. Buy with confidence.
Peashooter
Funny, I'm looking at a 996 Turbo cab as well. One owner, perfect condition, 25K miles, Tiptronic. Can't decide whether to sell my six and get a more usable car, or stand pat.
Apology for the thread hack...
TM_Corey
I have a line on a low mileage 2003 Turbo S Cabriolet in Indy that is about to go up for sale if your interested. Owner has a chain of restaurants and is no stranger to high $ cars and taking care of them. I have seen him in several different Porsches and Ferraris.

317-694-5126
draganc
QUOTE(TM_Corey @ Mar 13 2017, 08:34 AM) *

I have a line on a low mileage 2003 Turbo S Cabriolet in Indy that is about to go up for sale if your interested. Owner has a chain of restaurants and is no stranger to high $ cars and taking care of them. I have seen him in several different Porsches and Ferraris.

317-694-5126

thanks but im looking for something local - tri-state NYC.
draganc
Thanks for the info guys!

A few more questions:

1) The cooling system lines will need to be addressed because they can split and cause you problems.
Q: any visual hint or inspection tips?

2) Also scan it for over revs, category 1 is fine category 2 is not.
Q: is this s OBD feature or can I check it on the regular board computer/user/interface.

3) PPI
Q: would you still recommend it, even if the car is sold by a official Porsche dealer.
don't have a problem cashing extra $250 for a second option.

beerchug.gif
Catorse
I didn't think you could scan for over revs until 997.2, but I could be wrong.
uwrasta
QUOTE(draganc @ Mar 12 2017, 12:41 PM) *

Guys,

dc

I have a 2002 996TT and I absolutely love it. As for the coolant lines. Yes it is an expensive fix and if not done you don't need to be worried unless you do. I for one, if on the track, would not have a tt without coolant lines pinned or welded which is a debate in itself on 6speedonline and the rennlist turbo forums. My 2002 has had the lines pinned at sharkwerks in cali. you can google coolant lines and sharkwerks and see exactly what the issue is. it's a sleeve thats glued into the coolant housing that the coolant hoses are attached to. I believe there are 8 of them total. the sleeve is fitted into the housing with some kind of porsche wonder glue. But as these cars are getting older it's only a matter of time before they fail. Is it 100% absolutely not but if you are on the track and willing to bet your life on it then don't worry. I've read that some have been sitting at a stop light and poped a fitting. Either way they are wonderful cars and if mine hadn't been pinned I probably wouldn't do it. If you are planning to do drivers education with PCA I believe HPDE requires that the lines be pinned or welded. I guess to many unexpected slip and slides (the stuff is slick as ice I hear.)

2ndly if it's a 6 speed you have to be concerned with 2nd gear pop out. porsche pooped on this one with the 2nd gear synchros and the way they are shimmed. you either have it or you don't but if you are a shitty shifter you'll grind something up and develop it. there is, what they call, a second gear detent that some say cures the broken metal in the tranny but most hard core enthusiasts know that it's just not possible to break the transmission and magically have it fixed by installing a 50 dollar part. it might prevent it from happening more frequently but the damage has been done and a tranny rebuild is not a cheap affair. some have spend 10000 some 5000 depends on if you wanna take your chances on someone that kinda knows what they are doing or someone whos done many of them. And of course it depends on how much damage has been done. Its my understanding that if you continue to drive you can do more damage to the synchros than just 2nd gear and can get more expensive as you have to replace more parts. that being said not all are popping so you should really try to find a gradual hill going fairly fast and downshift to second at the higher revs it will pop out or not. do it a few times to check it.

3. the radiators and coolant expansion tanks. I hear the expansion tank is a pain in the ass to change but it's something I would do myself. As for the radiators check to see if they have been cleaned. porsche put them right up front behind the front bumper. there are 3 of them and they are trash magnets. leaves, debris and whatever else is on the road collects on the surface and if people don't maintain them consistently the crud builds up and you can develop leaks. porsche replacement and aftermarket are really expensive maybe 1600 bucks for the radiators alone. and if you have the steelership install you'll be in the 3000-4000 dollar range i'm sure.

4. boost leaks. there are quite a few vacuum and boost lines that can develp leaks throughout the engine and performance will be hindered considerably if not shored up. it's an easy diy but if you have to have someone else do it the costs start to add up.

5. these thing eat tires. especially if you drive hard. I run Michelin PSS2's and they are awesome but plan on spending 1400 bucks for rears every 8-12000 miles. the fronts run longer but man do they add up. especially if you are on the track. and you wanna have good tires on the track cause these cars are bitchin fast

6. General maintenance is expensive. I have the luxury of a lift and common sense. over the last 3 months i have changed the plugs, coil packs, fuel filter, check and fixed all boost leaks. changed the tranny mount, front differential oil, tranny oil, cleaned the radiators, installed a double din with backup camera, and swapped the exhaust for Kline decat. I also have a MAF Less (no maf plugged in ) tune and the exhaust with that tune is just like heaven.

anyway i'm tired of writing. this is a short list but if you are willing to do some or as much of your own maintenance as possible or have deep pockets go for it. the maintenance (knock on wood) in my eyes is not that difficult and there are so many resources out there you'd be amazed. Before I started working on my turbo I had literelly never ever ever ever in my life worked on cars. I just made a commitment to do it. Take my time and not be afraid and ask on the forums if I had questions. I bought a midrise bendpak lift (cause I was able to and found a great deal on CL.) with that I was off and running!!!!

Overall, my advice is go for it!!! but be prepared to potentially spend a chunck of change in the beginning if none of these maintenance items have been addressed. Or do it yourself, save a lot of money, and drive the piss out of it. I just did drivers skill (my 1st pca event) and I'm just freaking hooked. I signed up for autocross this coming saturday and HPDE may 13.

these are wonderful cars and if you test drive it and don't nearly cream yourself then don't buy it. Once I drove one I was like a crack addict. cause for 40-50000 bucks you can have a car that can hang with most. it has it quirks but boy is it one hell of a car. I like it so much that I'm purchasing another. My current turbo is a tip and I'm buying a 2004 manual x50 if it checks out next thursday. Then I get the joy of doing all those thing over again. I don't mind cause I feel a bond with a car that is so wonderfully built (minus some stuff ) and provides so much pleasure.

Just find a really good traffic infraction attorney in your area:))

Click to view attachment
uwrasta

Guys,

dc

oh ya it's mezger not metzler and IMS not IMT:))) and no you don't have to worry about it
uwrasta
QUOTE(uwrasta @ Mar 13 2017, 08:51 PM) *

Guys,

dc

oh ya it's mezger not metzler and IMS not IMT:))) and no you don't have to worry about it

definetly 100 percent without a doubt have a well know independent in the area do a ppi. don't trust porsche dealership. always have a second set of eyes/brains on it.
draganc
Awesome insights guys! Thanks for sharing!!

Any recommendations for a Indy Porsche guy in the west Philly area?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.