Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru engine Harness
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AndyB
Ok for those that know wiring harnesses, is there a difference between an automatic engine harness and a standard engine harness? Can they be intertwined or modified?

Thanks

AndyB
IronHillRestorations
If you are talking about 914 engine harnesses, the only thing close to an automatic was the Sportomatic in a 914-6. The engine harness is quite different for a Sporto-6.

I've heard stories of Sporto 4's, but never seen pics
Mark Henry
Are you doing a subi conversion?

If it is it's best you provide a little more detail in your post, we don't like guessing what you have or are tring to achieve. dry.gif
mepstein
If your talking about suby engines then it's fine to use a suby from an automatic for a conversion. Mine, for example, is an svx. It only comes in auto but the svx guys commonly drop in a 5mt. I had the suby main harness modified to plug into the 914 chassis harness. I'm using an 5mt suby trans. Nothing was done to the harness on the engine. Hopefully it will be plug and play.

Glad to see you are back at it.
AndyB
Thanks Mark it's really great to be back at it. I will see you in Hershey. Ok For the other Mark, I do like playing questions, but seriously though, yes I am doing a subie conversion. I will being doing the entire transmission swap and all. The donor is a 2.5 liter N/A motor. The guy that pulled it for me didn't pull the harness or ECU. The heads will go out tomorrow and get checked for cracks. There won't be any significant changes to the engine at all.

Andy
mepstein
It sounds like you need a main harness, not the engine harness. If thats true, check ebay and the suby forums. You want to find someone parting out a car and selling an uncut main harness and ecu. It should have all the connectors on the end of the wires. I would try to get it for $200 or less. If you need an engine harness, that should be available too but its probably very engine specific. Maybe $50-75 for that one.
I have a guy who will convert the harness to 914 usage. He does a great job, communicates well and charges less than smallcar.

The flares are great but dont make that your first welding project. Even if you are going to do the placement and cutting, have a pro do the welding.
AndyB
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 13 2017, 11:48 AM) *

It sounds like you need a main harness, not the engine harness. If thats true, check ebay and the suby forums. You want to find someone parting out a car and selling an uncut main harness and ecu. It should have all the connectors on the end of the wires. I would try to get it for $200 or less. If you need an engine harness, that should be available too but its probably very engine specific. Maybe $50-75 for that one.
I have a guy who will convert the harness to 914 usage. He does a great job, communicates well and charges less than smallcar.

The flares are great but dont make that your first welding project. Even if you are going to do the placement and cutting, have a pro do the welding.

Trust me I am in no rush. But I cannot afford 4-5 k in welding. So yes I will do the flares myself.
mepstein
QUOTE(AndyB @ Mar 13 2017, 01:46 PM) *

Trust me I am in no rush. But I cannot afford 4-5 k in welding. So yes I will do the flares myself.

Then just don't make them your first welding project. Practice a lot first. Or find someone who is a good welder and pay them. It doesn't have to be big bucks. There are some guys who do it as a hobby and if you do all the prep, you can get the welding done very reasonably. It's just like paint, you don't want to make painting your car the practice for painting your car.
AndyB
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 13 2017, 03:20 PM) *

QUOTE(AndyB @ Mar 13 2017, 01:46 PM) *

Then just don't make them your first welding project. Practice a lot first. Or find someone who is a good welder and pay them. It doesn't have to be big bucks. There are some guys who do it as a hobby and if you do all the prep, you can get the welding done very reasonably. It's just like paint, you don't want to make painting your car the practice for painting your car.

Oh they are not my first project. My first and second projects were rotisseries for the 914. So far two years later the white car has not fallen off so I am confident enough. But thanks for the concern
SirAndy
QUOTE(AndyB @ Mar 13 2017, 07:01 AM) *
yes I am doing a subie conversion

And we're supposed to know this because ??? ...
confused24.gif
AndyB
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 13 2017, 04:09 PM) *

confused24.gif

And you are trying to say what? confused24.gif
AndyB
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 13 2017, 09:47 AM) *

If your talking about suby engines then it's fine to use a suby from an automatic for a conversion. Mine, for example, is an svx. It only comes in auto but the svx guys commonly drop in a 5mt. I had the suby main harness modified to plug into the 914 chassis harness. I'm using an 5mt suby trans. Nothing was done to the harness on the engine. Hopefully it will be plug and play.

Mark how close are you to completion?
AndyB
QUOTE(AndyB @ Mar 13 2017, 04:14 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 13 2017, 04:09 PM) *

confused24.gif

And you are trying to say???confused24.gif see I can do it too.

ChrisFoley

The flares are great but dont make that your first welding project.

Don't worry, he has backup. welder.gif
AndyB
Did I mention I have a mentor? biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(AndyB @ Mar 13 2017, 01:14 PM) *

You are asking a question in a 914 forum that isn't 914 related without telling people that it isn't 914 related and expect to get correct answers?
confused24.gif

You don't think that letting us know that this is for a subie would be pertinent information? No?
confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 13 2017, 04:30 PM) *

The flares are great but dont make that your first welding project.

Don't worry, he has backup. welder.gif

That's awesome!
mepstein
QUOTE(AndyB @ Mar 13 2017, 04:17 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 13 2017, 09:47 AM) *

Mark how close are you to completion?

Which car? The project list has grown. 3 - 914-6 conversions including one suby conversion and 2 motorcycles. biggrin.gif
But since the thread is suby, I'm sending it off to get done this spring.
AndyB
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 13 2017, 04:59 PM) *

You are asking a question in a 914 forum that isn't 914 related without telling people that it isn't 914 related and expect to get correct answers?
confused24.gif

You don't think that letting us know that this is for a subie would be pertinent information? No?
confused24.gif

Look at post #5 pretty sure it answers your questions, no? Or did you miss that when you were try to be a smart ass? Just curious. But hey then again I am no admin, but I do read the thread before commenting. Just saying looking at the entire post instead of spouting off comments hours after clarification was made, but hey good catch dry.gif
76-914
You only need the engine harness. Yes the ECU for an automatic will work. You will however need to connect the 5 sp trans VR sender to the ECU if you plan on making any hiway trips. Otherwise the car will cut out for about 1.5 sec's every ~8 miles. I might have covered that in my build thread. beerchug.gif Kent
EDIT: when you get close to completion, PM me and I'll send you a VW/Subaru decal.
AndyB
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 13 2017, 09:01 PM) *

You only need the engine harness. Yes the ECU for an automatic will work. You will however need to connect the 5 sp trans VR sender to the ECU if you plan on making any hiway trips. Otherwise the car will cut out for about 1.5 sec's every ~8 miles. I might have covered that in my build thread. beerchug.gif Kent
EDIT: when you get close to completion, PM me and I'll send you a VW/Subaru decal.

Thanks Kent.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(AndyB @ Mar 13 2017, 02:24 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 13 2017, 04:59 PM) *

confused24.gif

confused24.gif

Look at post #5 pretty sure it answers your questions, no? Or did you miss that when you were try to be a smart ass? Just curious. But hey then again I am no admin, but I do read the thread before commenting. Just saying looking at the entire post instead of spouting off comments hours after clarification was made, but hey good catch dry.gif

In the fight between smartass Andy's my bet goes with the one that OWNS THE WEBSITE. Good luck with the build without us poke.gif

PS. You should be alot more humble since you started this thread with a poor use of words slap.gif
a914622
Your getting some bad info. From the donner car you need from the computer to the engine harness as well as the engine harness.
What year 2.5 are you running? The. 2000 outback and the 95-all are bastered child's . The 2000 cam triggers are different than ever other year. The 95 is a obd1-ish.
Long store short, there are only 2 computer wires different between the auto and manual.(for conversion)
So what year engine?
AndyB
QUOTE(a914622 @ Mar 14 2017, 01:32 AM) *

Your getting some bad info. From the donner car you need from the computer to the engine harness as well as the engine harness.
What year 2.5 are you running? The. 2000 outback and the 95-all are bastered child's . The 2000 cam triggers are different than ever other year. The 95 is a obd1-ish.
Long store short, there are only 2 computer wires different between the auto and manual.(for conversion)
So what year engine?

The 2.5 liter is from a 2002 Impreza Outback wagon.
a914622
So a harness forester or outback or impresa from 01-05 should work for you. Like I said earlier the 2000 outback take a different cam input. They are the only ones that use it to my knolage. Auto or standard will work. Grab the O2 harness as well. It's often over looked.
AndyB
QUOTE(a914622 @ Mar 14 2017, 10:59 AM) *

So a harness forester or outback or impresa from 01-05 should work for you. Like I said earlier the 2000 outback take a different cam input. They are the only ones that use it to my knolage. Auto or standard will work. Grab the O2 harness as well. It's often over looked.

Thanks for the help I appreciate it JCL.

AndyB
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.