Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Re-visiting the pop up headlight delete
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HalfMoon
The 89-94 Nissen 240-SX pop up headlight delete used to be the ticket for doing a pop up headlight delete on the 914, but sadly they're no longer available anywhere that I can find.
Any new ideas for the pop up delete or anyone know a source for the 240-SX's
Click to view attachment
Mueller
That is part of the cars character. Keep 'em. smile.gif
JmuRiz
I like the pop ups, I think the shape of the surround even looks good when up. confused24.gif
Only aftermarket/custom setup I thought looked good were the projection beams housed in the turn signal housings someone on here did.
mepstein
agree.gif always loved the pop up. One of the things that make our cars special.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Mar 13 2017, 04:14 PM) *

The 89-94 Nissen 240-SX pop up headlight delete used to be the ticket for doing a pop up headlight delete on the 914, but sadly they're no longer available anywhere that I can find.

Maybe you would get luckier if you called it the Nissan 240sx or Nissan s13 like all the kewl kids poke.gif

Press the EASY button \/
IPB Image
IronHillRestorations
I'm mostly a purist when it comes to 914 headlights.

I've yet to see what I'd term a visible headlight set up that I liked, but that's just me. It's your car so do whatever you think is cool.

Our 914 friends in OKC Jim and Laurie Blakewell had a custom 6 conversion where they had grafted the eyebrows to the headlight doors. They looked a little tall with the headlights up, but not bad. It was different without being strange looking.

HalfMoon
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Mar 13 2017, 10:32 PM) *

Maybe you would get luckier if you called it the Nissan 240sx or Nissan s13 like all the kewl kids poke.gif

Press the EASY button \/
IPB Image

I'll certainly check these guys. Site said "in stock ready to ship". I'll call em tomorrow. I had checked at least 20 vendors (with the correct spelling I might add) and all had reported that when they called the manufacturer to make an order (not a single one of them had any parts actually in stock) they were unable to obtain them. Last known date of production was 2012. If anyone has them they're old stock on a shelf somewhere.
I'll owe ya a beer if you found one of them!
mark04usa
Of course, folks can do whatever they want with their own car...but I just have to ask....
Why would anyone even consider this kind of modification to a 914? Why not pick some other car that maybe deserves such destruction WTF.gif

I just saddens me a bit to see so many 914s hacked and butchered beyond recognition. These wonderful cars should get more respect..Oh well. beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
Mike Bellis
I'm a master of destruction...

Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
They had to be trimmed to fit, so maybe the answer is just to make your own?

The bulb housing should have a brand name on it somewhere. Mike is the only member I know that has them on his car. Ask if he really likes them, as I think they are actually fog lights. I've got a couple good uses for them if I could find real headlights that compact.

Booyah free beer biggrin.gif
Amazon
mark04usa
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 13 2017, 11:30 PM) *

I'm a master of destruction...

Click to view attachment

Yes, so I see.
boxsterfan
Are there not junkyards full of 240SX headlights? Your going to have to paint them anyway I would assume.
twistedstang
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Mar 14 2017, 02:08 AM) *

Are there not junkyards full of 240SX headlights? Your going to have to paint them anyway I would assume.

The headlights in question were an aftermarket option, not the OE lights.
AndyB
Personally I like them. I think they are a light that actually looks good on the 914. But like any other custom part you just need to take your time until you get it the way you like it.

EdwardBlume
Lights up keep the front down at high speeds... biggrin.gif
barefoot
The only thing i dislike about pop-up headlights is that I can't instantly flash someone ahead as a safety measure. I guess you could wire the fog lights to flash with the dimmer switch to do that.
914forme
QUOTE(barefoot @ Mar 15 2017, 03:21 PM) *

The only thing i dislike about pop-up headlights is that I can't instantly flash someone ahead as a safety measure. I guess you could wire the fog lights to flash with the dimmer switch to do that.

JWEST has you covered." The JWest fog light module allows you to use the high-beam switch on the column to flash your fog lights when the headlights are off."
Alphaogre
The other option is just to pull the motor out, don't have them pop up and run a larger brighter lower light.... Like the 935.
Click to view attachment

In fact, my updated fog lights provide 2X the light as my headlights haha
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Mar 15 2017, 04:44 PM) *

The other option is just to pull the motor out, don't have them pop up and run a larger brighter lower light.... Like the 935.
Click to view attachment

In fact, my updated fog lights provide 2X the light as my headlights haha

Illegal on a street car.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Mar 15 2017, 03:44 PM) *

Something like this?

IPB Image

I know that car has been shown around the forums for a long time, but one of the few modified 914s that I really like.
SKL1
I remember way back someone had a clear covers that didn't move with light underneath similiar to what was on the 924 Carrera GT. They were flat and actually looked pretty good, compared to those above which I personally don't care for at all.

BTW, someone had come up with a way to flash the fog lights also way back when. I remember wiring that setup in the parking lot of a motel at my first Porsche Parade at Lake Geneva WI back in 1972!!! Back then, we flashed at other Porsche we met on the road, though at the time some 911 drivers wouldn't acknowledge a 914...
Larmo63
I've installed the J West fog light module on all of my 914s. Easy and effective.
Jamie
QUOTE(RobW @ Mar 15 2017, 10:15 AM) *

Lights up keep the front down at high speeds... biggrin.gif

Not! The downforce flow dynamics of the lights in the closed position is better than the drag induced when the lights are up at highways speeds. I can actually feel the induced drag when I open the lights at speed, must eat up a couple of my 80 HP!!! hissyfit.gif
raw1298
Working on it right now. Found on ebay.
ConeDodger
Not my style but Bellis and Randy are stylin' Mike's car is one of the most technology rich hybrid 914 conversions out there. Fast too! I think he beat me at WCR last year. Course, I was looking out my back window more than my front! blink.gif
Randy's car is coming around! Looks like you're getting close to paint!
Garland
For the 2016 Build-Off Challenge I deleted the pop up's, and installed the lamps into the turn housings. Here are two pictures, and a link to my build for how I did it.

2016 Build-Off Challenge Michigan Build

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914forme
And then there is this one.

Click to view attachment

Mike Nugget also just aded a set from a Geo Metro into the bumper Fog light area.

Taken from his old website on the build

Click to view attachment

Mike's solution is not street legal, but I doubt he ever got pulled over for it.
Alphaogre
Click to view attachment
Alphaogre
Another option is you just get a piece of plexie cut to replace the top of the "pop up" shell then mount the lights on the back of the bucket, not sure if the angle is enough, though...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Mar 17 2017, 10:40 AM) *

Another option is you just get a piece of plexie cut to replace the top of the "pop up" shell then mount the lights on the back of the bucket, not sure if the angle is enough, though...

Been there done that. As you say the angle is not enough, had to trim the top of the fiberglass bumper to get light on the road.

Do a Honda 3.2 swap and it's justified smilie_pokal.gif

IPB Image
matthepcat

QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Mar 17 2017, 10:36 AM) *

^^ I like this ^^
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Mar 13 2017, 10:32 PM) *

Press the EASY button \/
IPB Image

Und her isn der beer
beerchug.gif
They arrived the other day. Good on ya mate
TY
D
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Garland @ Mar 17 2017, 11:51 AM) *

For the 2016 Build-Off Challenge I deleted the pop up's, and installed the lamps into the turn housings. Here are two pictures, and a link to my build for how I did it.

2016 Build-Off Challenge Michigan Build

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

That's quite slick!
914pipe
Just for reference...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The only down side is if you hit hard the pavement, it will crack. I'm working on the body right know, that's why is so dusty..... Hate bodywork...!!! dry.gif
boxsterfan
QUOTE(914pipe @ Mar 22 2017, 09:10 PM) *

Just for reference...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The only down side is if you hit hard the pavement, it will crack. I'm working on the body right know, that's why is so dusty..... Hate bodywork...!!! dry.gif

I think it looks pretty good (sans dust). Given the body work, I wonder if the much maligned "996/boxster fried egg lights/turn signal" could ever be worked into a good lookng mod.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.