Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What exactly is clutch freeplay?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RustyWa
I've always been somewhat confused with this. Is the freeplay the distance you get when you pull up on the clutch pedal until it stops, or is the distance you get when you push on the pedal before you feel resistance?

My feeling is that the answer is pushing the pedal until you feel resistance. Which seems like it would be pretty subtle and hard to get set "properly", maybe not.
SLITS
It is the "free space" between the throw out bearing and the clutch fingers. If the bearing is in constant contact with the fingers, it will prematurely wear the bearing and possibly the fingers on the clutch plate.

Edit: Since the clutch pedal is spring loaded, pulling up on the pedal is the only way to determine if there is free play between the bearing and fingers...that is unless you have xray vision or a really small mirror and good light to look thru the clutch arm hole in the tranny.
RustyWa
QUOTE (SLITS @ May 4 2005, 07:09 PM)
It is the "free space" between the throw out bearing and the clutch fingers. If the bearing is in constant contact with the fingers, it will prematurely wear the bearing and possibly the fingers on the clutch plate.

The clutch pedal is spring loaded which takes up the slack in cable. Doesn't this pull, albiet lightly, the T.O. bearing against the fingers?
SLITS
If you disconnect the cable, the pedal falls to the floor....the resistance is opposite "normal cars". You pull the cable to pull the pedal up and the tension you are feeling is the spring pressure at the pedal.

At least this is how I see it.

My method is to tighten the nut on the cable, get in the car, start it and see where the clutch engages...if it is about 1/2 - 3/4 up from the floor, I know I have free play....but then that's just me.
Bleyseng
agree.gif

should be 1/2 to 3/4
Dave_Darling
In most cars, the free play is the amount of pedal travel you push down before encountering any resistance. In our cars, the spring on the pedal means all of the freel play is taken up already by the spring. So the free play is how much you can pull the pedal upward before it stops.

--DD
RustyWa
Good stuff guys, thanks.
URY914
Freebird is the name of the song by Lynyrd Skynyrd that came out in about 1974.

Oh, wait FreePLAY.

Never mind unsure.gif

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.