Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilt half-shafts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RustyWa
With CV joints disappearing (actually gone), has anyone ever purchased those rebuilt half-shafts, like what A1 Cardone makes.

How do they rebuild the CV joints? Are they redrilled with larger bearings and cages?

What's up with them?
Yoei66
After blowing a CV joint, I had one of my halfshafts completely rebuilt by a local driveshaft rebuilder. New bearing holder inserts (Both CVs), 2 new boots, fresh bearing grease, 1 day service, $99.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (RustyWa @ May 4 2005, 10:11 PM)
How do they rebuild the CV joints?

i've used rebuilt halfshafts in my GTI; no problems and they did have a hard life in that car.

there is a size range on the balls - probably down in the 4th or 5th decimal point. the joints are disassembled, cleaned, the obvious junk parts discarded, then they're re-assembled with balls at the upper end of the size range, regreased, new boots, wrap & ship.
tat2dphreak
I bought rebuild half shafts for the teener last year... unfortunately, I haven't tested them... email me, and I'll find the name of the guy I bought them from, it's at home in my email... around 200 for both with new CVs... IIRC
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.