Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: unconditional love?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TROJANMAN
i can't love my 914 unconditionally. it comes back to me after a 2 1/2 year departure. i can't wait to drive it, but it snows for four days. weather clears up, and as i am pulling out of the driveway i notice that it is leaking. i mean LEAKING! and i was so excited to drive it to work tomorrow. not going to happen. but i refuse to put it back in the garage until i can at least get around the block. come back and call the mechanic. "don't drive it," he says. "have it towed back to me." not real happy right now. it was leaking gas. i am sure it is simply a bad fuel line, but man, am i bummed.
aaaarrrrrrrghhhhh. mad.gif
SLITS
Change der hoses....it should be easy to spot if it was leaking from the engine compartment area.

Do you withdraw your "unconditional love" when your SO starts leaking on the monthly cycle?

Ok, so it wasn't funny cool_shades.gif

morph
You actually drove your 914!! 914's cant be driven, they are only for jackstands.

HIEDI
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (SLITS @ May 4 2005, 07:19 PM)

Do you withdraw your "unconditional love" when your SO starts leaking on the monthly cycle?

no, but i get the feeling she does

and ya, i know they need to be changed, but i just paid the mechanic a half million dollars to put humpty dumpty back together again. you would have thought he'd recommend new hoses .
SLITS
These hoses will only cost a quarter mill rolleyes.gif
BMartin914
Crawl underneath the thing and check it out Greg...it's part of the joy of owning a 30 year old car. wink.gif Something breaks, you fix it, then while you're fixing the first problem, something else breaks - that's just the way of the [914] world. biggrin.gif

Take my car for example. Never on jackstands in 10 months, go to fix a loose bolt on the alternator and 3 weeks later it's still out of commission while I fix one issue after another after another...
Bruce Allert
agree.gif nuff said agree.gif

........b
Mrs. K
QUOTE (SLITS @ May 4 2005, 08:19 PM)

ohmy.gif The T-shirt is making more sense everyday! screwy.gif

Lisa mad.gif
SpecialK
My '73 hasn't "touched down" since I bought it ...... idea.gif .....6 friggin' years ago ohmy.gif , and is farther apart now, than the day I brought it home headbang.gif . My luck I'll finally get it completed, and the world will run out of gasoline. Then I'll have to put it back up on jack stands for a fusion reactor retrofit....yeah...that's not going to be cheap (we need a smilie flushing money down a toilet)!
TROJANMAN
turns out the 914 is driveable after all. ON A TOW TRUCK. it was towed away this morning.
it looked really nice with the top off too.
Ferg
bummer, sad.gif
Pat will get the job done though, you'll have it all ready for the breakfast on the 15th.
Ferg.
TROJANMAN
ya, he's a good guy. i'm just hoping he doesn't charge me twice for putting back together again. he said he'd have it done tonight.
TROJANMAN
oh yea, and the tow truck driver made a comment about my "souped up VW on steroids" alfred.gif
Ferg
If you don't have AAA already now is the time to join. wink.gif
Ferg
SLITS
QUOTE (Mrs. K @ May 4 2005, 10:35 PM)
QUOTE (SLITS @ May 4 2005, 08:19 PM)

ohmy.gif The T-shirt is making more sense everyday! screwy.gif

Lisa mad.gif

I tried to warn ya, but you progestrone powered humans just don't get it mueba.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (Ferg @ May 5 2005, 07:30 AM)
If you don't have AAA already now is the time to join. wink.gif
Ferg

my wife refuses to get rid of it. she is on her grandfather's policy: member since 1941

but they changed their towing limits. now only the first 4 miles are free.
Ferg
Upgrade to AAA plus, My wife and I each have 4 free tows a year up to 150 miles I think. I've already used up 3 tows rolleyes.gif , Well worth the $. Mines the R.V. version, but I think the regular "plus" gets you the extended free tow as well.
Ferg.
TROJANMAN
you have an rv?
Ferg
Sorta, when I signed up 3 years ago I did, and have had a few come and go in the last few years (I dabble in the car business). but no r.v. at the moment.
Ferg.
TROJANMAN
mechanic has the car, but mysteriously the gas leak is gone. it was leaking pretty good before i decided to have it towed to him. any suggestions? idea.gif

should i just drive the car home and be happy the leak is gone?

this is really puzzling huh.gif because i cannot think of a way to re-create the leak, or how it may have disappeared. It was a FRESH rebuild, so is it possible something just sealed itself after running hot for a while?

the car had sat for 2 days in the garage before i started it up for the 3rd time after the rebuild and noticed the leak (right away). it was a pretty significant leak, too. dripped all the way backing out of the garage and puddled while i left it running in the street. any suggestions?
nebreitling
sure, that fuel leak probably fixed itself. go for a drive.

AND BRING SOME FREAKIN' MARSHMALLOWS!!
Ferg
so where was it leaking from? if you actually saw it dripping while you car was idling in the driveway, did you have a chance to trace the leak anywhere more specific?
ferg.
Gint
QUOTE (glstrojan @ May 6 2005, 11:30 AM)
mechanic has the car, but mysteriously the gas leak is gone. it was leaking pretty good before i decided to have it towed to him. any suggestions? idea.gif

should i just drive the car home and be happy the leak is gone?

this is really puzzling huh.gif because i cannot think of a way to re-create the leak, or how it may have disappeared. It was a FRESH rebuild, so is it possible something just sealed itself after running hot for a while?

the car had sat for 2 days in the garage before i started it up for the 3rd time after the rebuild and noticed the leak (right away). it was a pretty significant leak, too. dripped all the way backing out of the garage and puddled while i left it running in the street. any suggestions?

Yeah, replace the hoses. It's not hard work or rocket science. You will learn to hate gas though... icon8.gif
TROJANMAN
it was dripping down on the passenger side under the HE, but i could not locate the source. The mechanic has not been able to re-create the leak, and he left it idling for about a total of 35 minute (in intervals). we have both tugged on all of the hoses, and no more leak.

Gint
Replace all of the rubber fuel lines anyway.
TROJANMAN
when Pat put the engine back together, he said he only had to replace one bad hose, and all of the others were in good shape.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (nebreitling @ May 6 2005, 09:38 AM)
sure, that fuel leak probably fixed itself. go for a drive.

AND BRING SOME FREAKIN' MARSHMALLOWS!!

it's funny you say that, the mechanic has a fire victim 914 in his lot.
nebreitling
which 'other ones'? the ones that had sat for 2 1/2 years, or the ones which are 30 years old?

bro: either you had a fuel leak or you didn't. if you were not on psychotropic drugs and feel that the fuel leak was, in fact, real, then you need to replace some fuel lines. period. sorry if i'm being an ass but these things REALLY DON'T fix themselves, and i'd hate for you to lose the car over something as easy and relatively inexpensive as fuel lines.

n
mightyohm
My 914 leaked a significant amount of gas from the bodies of a couple of the fuel injectors that would go away when they got hot. The seals in the casings went bad.

Fuel pumps can probably do similar things also.

Don't drive the car until you isolate this.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (nebreitling @ May 6 2005, 09:50 AM)

bro: either you had a fuel leak or you didn't. if you were not on psychotropic drugs and feel that the fuel leak was, in fact, real, then you need to replace some fuel lines.

that's funny, because i feel like i was on drugs, since i was the only one to see it. but i agree with you.
DJsRepS
Do change all the rubber gas lines over and under the motor and replace the fuel filter for good measure. There is no one fix on old lines. Then check all the clamps every oil change. Fuel pump leaks are common leaker too and can be rebuilt/resealed. Also check fuel pump pressure clogged return can 4x the presure.
TROJANMAN
found the leak. fifth time he let it run for the day, and it started leaking profusely right after it started. makes me feel better knowing i wasn't on drugs. strange though,that the leak would come and go like that. screwy.gif
Ferg
good deal smilie_pokal.gif
914MF
Did he tell you where it was leaking from?
TROJANMAN
one of the hoses running the topside of the engine. can't figure out why it leaked sporadically though. idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.