Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting a '91 964
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IronHillRestorations
I've made a deal on a '91 964. I would've preferred a coupe but I found a good deal on a 98k mile targa.

I know about the flywheel/clutch problem (it has a new clutch), and the cylinder head sealing problem (this one is clean and dry).

I am getting a PPI by a very reputable independent Porsche shop.

What do those among us say to avoid on these?

I've had a 964 before, and aside from a 71 S, it's my favorite incarnation of the 911.
EdwardBlume
I had a 993, and the belt drive on the dual distributors was a key item on the 3.6. The wiring harness was recalled as well.
Mark Henry
Can't remember if it's the 964 or 993 has ceramic valve guides that are prone to cracking. Hard to check without removing the exhaust.
Best place to ask this is over on the bird or rennlist 964 forums.
JFJ914
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Mar 14 2017, 08:33 AM) *

I've made a deal on a '91 964. I would've preferred a coupe but I found a good deal on a 98k mile targa.

I know about the flywheel/clutch problem (it has a new clutch), and the cylinder head sealing problem (this one is clean and dry).

I am getting a PPI by a very reputable independent Porsche shop.

What do those among us say to avoid on these?

I've had a 964 before, and aside from a 71 S, it's my favorite incarnation of the 911.

I had a '90 Coupe, leaked like a sieve, case through bolts, valve cover gaskets ect.

Distributor belt broke, not a big deal to fix your self. (x$20 for the belt)

If it's hard to start, probably the fuel pressure regulator leaking internally, floods the engine. Got it and a lot of parts really cheap on Amazon using the Bosch part numbers.
mb911
Mine was pretty reliable. It made more valve train noise then I liked, Had one coil go bad on it, it was a resealed engine with 80k (total on the car and engine) on it and it still leaked and all the paperwork for the reseal and new pistons and cylinders was from a reputable shop in CA, Shifted great. I made an outstanding muffler for it because at the time I owned M&K exhaust and sold the designs and they were never used by the new owner. Overall a nice car but for 80k on it allot had been done to it already engine wise so that surprised me.

RickS
If you want info, go to the board devoted to your model. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-964...echnical-forum/
Steve
The issues I heard of compared to 993
-old school barn door air flow meter
-no hydraulic lifters (have to adjust valves)
-need to modify distributor with a breather
-leaky heads, due to no head gasket. Specific year?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.