Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel specs for 4 lug 15x7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grantsfo
I'm thinking of getting some custom wheels (15"x7") made. What is the proper offset for 7" wheels on four lug car? I have rolled fenders in the rear. Also what is bore diameter and depth for hub centric wheels?

Mueller
35mm offset works great in the rear, use the same up front, but run a 1/2"-3/4" spacer

Trekkor
Funny, I was just asking the guy at the tire/wheel shop the same thing today. ohmy.gif

Yoks/Hoosiers on 7's cool_shades.gif

KT
Mueller
78.60mm X 15mm (let me verify the 2nd dim. tommorow)
grantsfo
Thanks! Appreciate your help. I havent used spacers before. Where is a good source for spacers? How do they work with hub centric mountings front hubs?
grantsfo
QUOTE (trekkor @ May 4 2005, 07:54 PM)
Funny, I was just asking the guy at the tire/wheel shop the same thing today. ohmy.gif

Yoks/Hoosiers on 7's cool_shades.gif

KT

Yeah I want to run dedicated 15x7's and Hoosiers in future events. Running R compounds on the street is fun but they wear pretty quickly and pickup all sorts of crap.
Mueller
QUOTE (grantsfo @ May 4 2005, 09:18 PM)
Thanks! Appreciate your help. I havent used spacers before. Where is a good source for spacers? How do they work with hub centric mountings front hubs?

I have these for the front of my car, ignore the rusty rotor smile.gif

the hubcentric feature is dependant on thickness to a point.....

user posted image
messix
QUOTE (Mueller @ May 4 2005, 07:51 PM)
35mm offset works great in the rear, use the same up front, but run a 1/2"-3/4" spacer

if he's having custom wheels made, why would spacers be necessary? what backspacing to have the wheels built to was the question.
Joe Ricard
My thoughts exactly. if you are getting wheels made. Which from my adventure is where you will be a week from now. Get what you want. 4 1/2" back space or 4 1/4" back space. you choose. Price is in direct proportion to weight. the more money you spend the less wheel you get. Track only wheels I went with the Diamond racing wheel. 15 x 8 under stock fenders. 205/50-15 Hoosiers.
nebreitling
QUOTE (messix @ May 4 2005, 10:05 PM)
if he's having custom wheels made, why would spacers be necessary?

so as to widen the front track a bit w/out having wheels made in two different offsets. easier for tire rotation...
URY914
When my car had stock fenders I ran 15x7's with a 5" backspace. I had two sets of Revelutions but have now sold them to people here.

Paul
Mueller
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ May 5 2005, 04:01 AM)
My thoughts exactly. if you are getting wheels made. Which from my adventure is where you will be a week from now. Get what you want. 4 1/2" back space or 4 1/4" back space. you choose. Price is in direct proportion to weight. the more money you spend the less wheel you get. Track only wheels I went with the Diamond racing wheel. 15 x 8 under stock fenders. 205/50-15 Hoosiers.

by increasing the track on the front (which is 2" narrower than the rear), you can dial out some of the understeer.

the only way to do that is to use spacers, or buy rims with 2 different offsets...if you do the later, kiss rotating your tires goodbye...for some people its not a big deal....

15 x 8  under stock fenders. 205/50-15 Hoosiers

make sure you take pictures, cause I don't believe they'll fit on the rear if they are truely stock fenders....either way, those will look cool and give tons of grip boldblue.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Mueller @ May 5 2005, 07:16 AM)
My thoughts exactly. if you are getting wheels made. Which from my adventure is where you will be a week from now.  Get what you want.  4 1/2" back space or 4 1/4" back space. you choose.  Price is in direct proportion to weight. the more money you spend the less wheel you get.  Track only wheels I went with the Diamond racing wheel. 15 x 8  under stock fenders. 205/50-15 Hoosiers.

by increasing the track on the front (which is 2" narrower than the rear), you can dial out some of the understeer.

the only way to do that is to use spacers, or buy rims with 2 different offsets...if you do the later, kiss rotating your tires goodbye...for some people its not a big deal....

make sure you take pictures, cause I don't believe they'll fit on the rear if they are truely stock fenders....either way, those will look cool and give tons of grip boldblue.gif

smash.gif I'll make them fit. Truly stock is truely up to interpretation. The lips are rolled now and if the need is there the baseball bat will fix it.
Car is SOOOO not stock that I'm like WAY out of control. Stock is for sissies. and weenies.

More power, more rubber, stiffer suspension, less weight = GOES FAST.
grantsfo
QUOTE (Mueller @ May 5 2005, 07:16 AM)
My thoughts exactly. if you are getting wheels made. Which from my adventure is where you will be a week from now.  Get what you want.  4 1/2" back space or 4 1/4" back space. you choose.  Price is in direct proportion to weight. the more money you spend the less wheel you get.  Track only wheels I went with the Diamond racing wheel. 15 x 8  under stock fenders. 205/50-15 Hoosiers.

I think I want to have ability to rotate tires etc if spacer solution is safe and cost effective. Although I'm used to having differnt wheels/tires on my Boxster. You just spend a little more on tires.

My rear fenders are rolled out fairly aggressively. I currently have a couple of inches of clearence with 205/50/15 Yokohama's on 5.5 wheels. Do you think I could get away with 15x8? Would offset be the same for 15x8? I know the benefits of getting wide rims on a car and would like to go as wide as possible without going the route of flares. ...at least for now.

If I go the route of spacers who sells them? Do I need to get special lug bolts?
Trekkor
like to go as wide as possible without going the route of flares

We're twins boldblue.gif

Whatever you do, I'll be watching. Keep us posted.

KT
messix
wont pushing out the wheels with spacers to increase track width mess with your scrub radius and bumb steer?
or are other mods. also done at the same time to correct for this?
nebreitling
QUOTE (messix @ May 5 2005, 02:52 PM)
wont pushing out the wheels with spacers to increase track width mess with your scrub radius and bumb steer?

this would be negligible, i would think -- especially with the track increases these guys are talking about (1/4 to 1/2 inch). stock, the front track is a bit narrower than the rear, IIRC.

Joe.... as long as you're gonna 'make fit' 8 inches, should you step up to wider tires too?
grantsfo
QUOTE (trekkor @ May 5 2005, 08:55 AM)
like to go as wide as possible without going the route of flares

We're twins boldblue.gif

Whatever you do, I'll be watching. Keep us posted.

KT

Yeah but I'm the wimpy 1.8 twin.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (nebreitling @ May 5 2005, 04:15 PM)
QUOTE (messix @ May 5 2005, 02:52 PM)

this would be negligible, i would think -- especially with the track increases these guys are talking about (1/4 to 1/2 inch). stock, the front track is a bit narrower than the rear, IIRC.

Joe.... as long as you're gonna 'make fit' 8 inches, should you step up to wider tires too?

Hey Nathan glad you mentioned that. Have I told you why I'm buying new rims? Because the tires that were on sale 205/50-15 Hoosiers won't fit right on Fuchs. (thanks for the tip again) I posted the link on Autoxforum.com and several guys snatched up some skins too. aktion035.gif

Well they will fit on Fuchs but that's not what I told the Boss. So I fanagled new rims clap.gif

Yes the next set will be 225/45-15 Hoosiers of course maybe Avon as I have seen good performance with those tires as well.
Mueller
Yes the next set will be 225/45-15 Hoosiers of course maybe Avon as I have seen good performance with those tires as well.

be careful....going too big can make you slower due to weight, rolling resistance and too much contact patch...the tires might not get warmed up in enough time......

Dman
Grant, are you going to Stockton on Saturday? driving.gif

I am trying to work it out.
ottox914
Joe R- Tell us more about the diamonds? How's the fitment? 8" with stock fenders? REALLY?!?!? Are the lips cut off or bent up? Fenders "batted" a little? Is the weight of the steel wheel an issue? Which lugs do you use? How long have you had them, and what are the wheel specs? Are all 4 the same for ez tire rotation?

I grabbed some of the so4's on sale as well, threw them on some fuchs 4 bolts that were taking up space in the garage. I have some rubbing in the rear, ? due to tire being pinched on rim? Wonder if some 7 or 8's would solve that?

I'd like to know your experience to look for some solutions to my issues.

thanks!
Mueller
QUOTE (ottox914 @ May 5 2005, 09:18 PM)
Joe R- Tell us more about the diamonds? How's the fitment? 8" with stock fenders? REALLY?!?!? Are the lips cut off or bent up? Fenders "batted" a little? Is the weight of the steel wheel an issue? Which lugs do you use? How long have you had them, and what are the wheel specs? Are all 4 the same for ez tire rotation?

I grabbed some of the so4's on sale as well, threw them on some fuchs 4 bolts that were taking up space in the garage. I have some rubbing in the rear, ? due to tire being pinched on rim? Wonder if some 7 or 8's would solve that?

I'd like to know your experience to look for some solutions to my issues.

thanks!

ottox914....

please re-read all of the posts on this thread before getting too excited smile.gif

he does not have the rims yet (excellent choice for the money)

his fenders will not be stock in the rear...unless he installs air shocks so that he can lift the rear of the car up in order to clear them (dukes of hazard) biggrin.gif

unless diamond has changed things, you must run special lug nuts......
ottox914
My oops- thats what I get for getting all excited at around 10:30pm during my evening before bed surf. Keep us posted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.