Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fibreglass Bumper vs standard weight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mr Pharmacist
Hi

Does anyone know the approximate weight saving on swapping to fibreglass bumpers front and rear vs standard (early) bumpers?

Trying to reduce weight ready for the forthcoming hillclimb season - any other suggestions to reduce weight that won't cost ££££ or $$$$

TIA
brant
I have 3 fiberglass bumpers and they all have significantly different weights.

the manufacturer, number of layers, and mounting style all change about 3 lbs per a bumper.

Roughly...
stock isn't too far off of 22lbs
and FG is approximately 11-14lbs

We cut a lot of weight and looked for every cheap method in the book
our formula back in 2005 was $50/lb

meaning if the weight savings was more than $50/lb it was not cost effective

if the weight - cost ratio was under 50/lb it was worth looking at

bumpers were on the positive column
approximately 11lbs, for approximately 200-ish dollars

We cut about 500lbs total when we built the race car over the stock weight, and the only fiberglass parts on it so far are the bumpers. currently 1826lbs with a 6cylinder and all metal construction

brant
Mr Pharmacist
Thanks Brant, very useful information.

I've done the obvious like interior etc but just seen some fg bumpers for sale here in the uk for much less than usual so thought it'd be worth getting them but just wanted to check
rhodyguy
fg 'bullets'?
Mr Pharmacist
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 14 2017, 09:20 PM) *

fg 'bullets'?

Fat fingers + auto correct : unsure.gif
Downunderman
Roger Bray was doing fibreglass bumpers a while back.
Mr Pharmacist
It's Roger Bray I'm getting them from. They have a set left
Mr Pharmacist
Oops
wndsrfr
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 14 2017, 12:37 PM) *

I have 3 fiberglass bumpers and they all have significantly different weights.

the manufacturer, number of layers, and mounting style all change about 3 lbs per a bumper.

brant

Brant......just broke my FG front bumper & lost the end off of it so need to replace it. Can you elaborate on the three FG ones you have & who's supplying them?
brant
Unfortunately I don't know the brands/manufacturer

The heaviest I have uses attachment points that is a piece of wood molded into the bumper. It is encased inside the Fg

The lightest has an aluminum U bracket bolted through the ext face
That bolt headshots from the outside but is painted. This bumper weighs 2lbs less

The manufacturer's usually advertise the weights and even offer "thin" racing versions of some Fg parts vs street
brant
Unfortunately I don't know the brands/manufacturer

The heaviest I have uses attachment points that is a piece of wood molded into the bumper. It is encased inside the Fg

The lightest has an aluminum U bracket bolted through the ext face
That bolt headshots from the outside but is painted. This bumper weighs 2lbs less

The manufacturer's usually advertise the weights and even offer "thin" racing versions of some Fg parts vs street
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.