Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cylinder boring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsaum
I'm looking to build a 1911 out of one of my 1.8 engines. Is there anyone in the PNW or west coast set up to bore out cylinders? I have a set of KB pistons to use.

Jsaum
Mark Henry
you can buy just the cylinders (AA) from EMW or aircooled.net

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/96mm-Slip-In-...p/vw9600t4l.htm
jsaum
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 14 2017, 09:51 PM) *

you can buy just the cylinders (AA) from EMW or aircooled.net

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/96mm-Slip-In-...p/vw9600t4l.htm

Ok I do have a set of AA cylinders and the bore seems to be good. I bought a gage and checked them out. I didn't want to mention them and start that conversation up!
Mark Henry
You do have to check the bores and be sure they're round. Early batches sucked but AA's QC got a little better. IIRC aircooled(dot)net does a quick bore check to all of their AA cylinders to make sure they are round.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 15 2017, 04:19 AM) *

You do have to check the bores and be sure they're round. Early batches sucked but AA's QC got a little better. IIRC aircooled(dot)net does a quick bore check to all of their AA cylinders to make sure they are round.

Maybe teener legend, but your OEM 1.8 cylinders will be more stable than new ones. After I looked at a set of aftermarket ones compared to my OEM's, I shopped around for a set of used 1.8's to have bored out. The shop can bore them to fit your set of pistons also instead of "close enough"....
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(jsaum @ Mar 14 2017, 07:16 PM) *

I'm looking to build a 1911 out of one of my 1.8 engines. Is there anyone in the PNW or west coast set up to bore out cylinders? I have a set of KB pistons to use.

Jsaum

James,

I just went to 96mm in my 1.8 L-Jet; Really nice upgrade. If you stay with FI, look into using the Vanagon 2.1 Throttle Body. It's slightly larger and compliments the bigger cylinders.
jsaum
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 15 2017, 06:22 AM) *

Jsaum

James,

I just went to 96mm in my 1.8 L-Jet; Really nice upgrade. If you stay with FI, look into using the Vanagon 2.1 Throttle Body. It's slightly larger and compliments the bigger cylinders.

Jim, thanks for the recommendation I'll look into it.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(jsaum @ Mar 15 2017, 07:07 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 15 2017, 06:22 AM) *

Jsaum

James,

Jim, thanks for the recommendation I'll look into it.

Several of us have done this; there's a thread covering it
914forme
Get the 94s bored to 96mm and fit to your pistons. Also the 1911 is a really nice little motor. One of my favorite -4 motors I ever ran. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.